Just when I was congratulating myself...

Dd852

Full time employment: Posting here.
On how underspent we were in 2016, DW announced she needed two dental crowns and I stepped on my own eyeglasses. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Don't give it s second thought. It happens, all you can do is brush it off and keep on going. :)

I understand what you are saying. I had a medical tune up in 2012, the year before I retired. My plan was to incur all the medical expenses in one year. On January 2, 2013 I fractured my ankle while walking to the gym :LOL:. Of course the deductible had reset on January 1st.

I really don't like having a high deductible insurance plan because I am at war with myself about medical expenses. I feel like I am signing a blank check when going to the doctor.

So far I have been healthy and I can go back on my Federal BCBS next May.

DW's car needed head gasket replacement and some other work. I had to replace a 900 sq foot deck.

I decided to take on a side job working nights:

I like my Zenni.com bifocals, which cost 20% of what my mall-store bifocals cost. Wish there were a Zenni for dental work, lol.

On how underspent we were in 2016, DW announced she needed two dental crowns and I stepped on my own eyeglasses. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I remember needing an emergency crown back in the poor days (kids in jr high and high school, money flying out as fast as it came--our choice to be broke :LOL:) and thinking among other things how that no one else would even see it or enjoy it, unlike say a piece of furniture or a trip. Today? I needed three in the last six months and I make DH admire them every couple of days. I hope you and your DW enjoy her new crowns and your new glasses!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 12
This has been a rotten summer for my money saving efforts as well.

First, like your DW I needed dental work - - an implant, a bridge, and three crowns. $$$$$$$

The next month my air conditioner system completely cratered. It was old so I had to have everything but the ducts completely replaced last week. I knew this would have to be done but was hoping it would be NEXT year. Oh well.

I can afford it, I suppose, as long as this sort of thing doesn't happen every year. I just wish the WR fairy would just give me an effing break for a change.

I hear you on dental and medical bills (unexpected ones) blowing any budgetary savings for the year. Last year was my expensive year.... my first year on a high deductible HSA plan - and between the kids having a series of broken bones (sports injuries), DH having an emergency room visit, and I had a small procedure. Oh - and I had a crown, both kids had fillings, and DH had a crown. Fortunately we still had dental insurance (cobra). But we managed to spend almost $9k on medical and dental bills/deductables/copays.

This too shall pass. Enjoy the new glasses and shiny new crowns.

Back
Top Bottom