Let's brag about mid-year performance!

17% International
78% S&P 500
5% Cash & Fixed Income

Total about 7.4% YTD

My AA is 60/35/5 and Vanguard says that I'm up 10.9% YTD; so that's my number.:confused:

Mickeyd, how do you check your year to date with vanguard? If you add any additional money it will through off the %. The full year from last July is not a problem but from Jan 1, I find it hard to calculate because of additional money added.

Mickeyd, how do you check your year to date with vanguard?

I'm just quoting the Vanguard figure "as is" from the website. I seldom get involved in the "show me yours, and I'll show you mine" contests that are posted here from time to time as I am purely a long term investor and these short-term peeks at performance are meaningless IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Getting superstitious about jinxing the run.

grin.gif
This coming from a Chemical Engineer? That's funny.
Hey, I am as crazy as anyone. :duh: (You should meet some of my colleagues!)

It's important to calculate the "weighted" annual or semiannual return on your portfolio as a whole. If you want to look at only financial investments and all your assets are with one firm, their software may do that for you. Funds added during the period will complicate the issue so you need to make sure how the calculations are done. For example, if your assets increase by 10%, but half of that is money you added, your actual internal rate of return is more like 5%. If the assets are distributed among several different firms, or if you want to factor in other investments, you will need to use a business calculator or better, make a spreadsheet.

What I really want to know is the Internal Rate of Return of my entire portfolio, including fixed income, equities, cash, real estate, and alternative investments. So I calculate my Net Worth each year. Here is a (picture of) a spreadsheet that calculates the Internal Rate of Return on Net Worth. These numbers are invented.

Last edited:
It's important to calculate the "weighted" annual or semiannual return on your portfolio as a whole. If you want to look at only financial investments and all your assets are with one firm, their software may do that for you. Funds added during the period will complicate the issue so you need to make sure how the calculations are done. For example, if your assets increase by 10%, but half of that is money you added, your actual internal rate of return is more like 5%. If the assets are distributed among several different firms, or if you want to factor in other investments, you will need to use a business calculator or better, make a spreadsheet.

What I really want to know is the Internal Rate of Return of my entire portfolio, including fixed income, equities, cash, real estate, and alternative investments. So I calculate my Net Worth each year. Here is a (picture of) a spreadsheet that calculates the Internal Rate of Return on Net Worth. These numbers are invented.

I do the same except that my calculation is a little different for ROI. My spreadsheet calculates the average monthly balance which gives a lower ROI (eg I get 13.48% against your example of 14.76% on line 2 of your example). I got the formula years ago from a Money Magazine article and when I compare with calculated figures on individual funds from VG in January it matches very closely for those accounts where I have a steady monthly sum going in. Where I have lump sums going in at random times my calculation and VG's vary more.

I don't really know that it matters that much, but it is the only way I have of estimating overall ROI

I finally found my January statement. For my IRA only, since I didn't add any cash into the account (no Beardstown ladies here), YTD is 34.5% with 100% equities. I have to admit to being a little surprised, in a good way.

YTD is 34.5% with 100% equities. I have to admit to being a little surprised, in a good way.

A little surprised would be an understatement, to me at least. What equities would that be?

A little surprised would be an understatement, to me at least. What equities would that be?
I have about 80 different stocks in my IRA. The two that I sold off for profit OMM and BEAV. Some of the other ones that I still hold are AMSWA, CSX, LYO, NOK, VSEA, TNP, SFL, COP, XON.

Wow! They all did so well. No wonder.

I could find anything on OMM, XON. Wrong spelling?

Wow! They all did so well. No wonder.

I could find anything on OMM, XON. Wrong spelling?
OMM was bought out. XON should have been XOM if I could type correctly. More importantly, the rest of the stocks in the portfolio didn't do poorly.

The guy who sits behind me and has all his money in our company stock was happy today (it is a Dow component).

The guy who sits behind me and has all his money in our company stock was happy today (it is a Dow component).
In the long run, he will be sad !:(

Just like all of my friends at Ford who still have 100% of their 401K in Ford stock and are still working !

Or the folks from my old company, where we probably had around 15-20% of the employees financially independent for most of 1999. Very few kept that money and they've spent 7 years watching the stock languish.

It used to be a matter of awe creation to hold forth in the hallway or cafeteria telling everyone how you still had every single share of stock the company had given you over the last 20 years. When it was pushing $80.

I'm betting that through the current decade when it sat in the $12-15 area...not so much.

The lessons of diversification are well taken.

My FIL kept every share ever given to him. The only shares he ever held. Did not even look at their value. When I said "Diversify", he said that would not be loyal to the company that employed him his whole life and now paid his pension.

Company eventually went bankrupt but his pension was protected.

Back
Top Bottom