Low cost of living town with low humidity?

I've got a really nice .5 acre mountain view building lot in a gated community in Pagosa Springs, CO I'll sell you. Low humidity and high altitude.

I've got a really nice .5 acre mountain view building lot in a gated community in Pagosa Springs, CO I'll sell you. Low humidity and high altitude.

I'm in Salida, CO. right now. Can I stop by for a drink?

We've been near Loveland CO, and now near Longmont CO for the last few days. Pretty darn low humidity around here! We've been enjoying the weather and the views.

Not sure about the cost of living, however. Restaurant prices seem a little higher here than they did in OR and WA, or TX for that matter.

Audrey

I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.

Yes, go to Old Town. You can't miss it. It's right across the street from CSU. Take your bikes or rent a couple and ride the extensive bike trails which also connect to the Horsetooth MTB trails. Climb Horsetooth rock. The view from up top will tell you why John Denver wrote Rocky Mountain High. You'll appreciate the view more because you got there on your own power. It's way better than driving up to the top of Trailridge road with all the tourist buses.

If you are poking around in that general area, go take a look at Alamosa, CO. Very cheap, pretty pleasant place, low humidity.

Here you go Brewer. A little fixer upper. Raise a few chickens, plant a few crops, and your good to go. Actually for $450k and 289 acres, not a bad price even if you just level the house and start over.:-\
8591 River Rd Alamosa, CO - Existing Homes Listing

Not sure the place comes with an Eb.
Green Acres : Tom Lester : tvland.com

BTW, you looking at moving out west?

Here you go Brewer. A little fixer upper. Raise a few chickens, plant a few crops, and your good to go. Actually for $450k and 289 acres, not a bad price even if you just level the house and start over.:-\
8591 River Rd Alamosa, CO - Existing Homes Listing

Not sure the place comes with an Eb.
Green Acres : Tom Lester : tvland.com

BTW, you looking at moving out west?

"Property includes 8 shares of the Hickory Jackson Ditch and 5 domestic/stock wells adjudicated under Case 93CW26"

I'd say this is easily the most important part of the listing, given the way things are with water in that area.

Not actively looking; just spent 2 weeks in the area and came home with my very own Ugly Regional Hat. Since I am not attached to a particular employer, I would certainly listen ifthe right opportunity turned up there, but it would have to be pretty special to move 1800 miles, sell the house, uproot the kids, etc.

Yes, go to Old Town. You can't miss it. It's right across the street from CSU. Take your bikes or rent a couple and ride the extensive bike trails which also connect to the Horsetooth MTB trails. Climb Horsetooth rock. The view from up top will tell you why John Denver wrote Rocky Mountain High. You'll appreciate the view more because you got there on your own power. It's way better than driving up to the top of Trailridge road with all the tourist buses.
thanks. Will definitely do the bikes. Not sure about climbing...my knees are not very good.

We will be moving to the suburbs of Albuquerque, the humidity is very low and the cost of living is quite reasonable. You can buy a nice house for under $200K.

If you're in Ft. Collins, a couple of the finest microbrewies (not Bud) in the country are a little east of town. It's worth a tour and sampling if you're into microbrews or just want to see some state of the art breweries. Old Towne is nice, though a little too trendy for me, but the bike trail along the Poudre is a bit of fresh air.

You might check out Pueblo, Colorado. Cost of living is much less than Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins. It's a bit of a blue collar town that's making a come back, so not yet your trendy place. It has a good sense of community and retains some mid-sized town charm. Nice dry climate and close to the mountains and recreation. Relative to other Colorado places, the winters are prety mild. And not quite the oppresive heat of Arizona. I was raised there and think about moving back sometimes.

I knew you guys were pros. You have givin me alot of good ideas.

That's looking good.

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $108,800 (it was $87,100 in 2000)
Pueblo $108,800
Colorado: $223,300

The bike trails in Fort Collins are some of the best in the country because they actually link to on-street trails and places you would want to go. I used to ride from work south of town to the library, the tailor, cafes, and bars in the Old Town area sometimes right in the middle of the workday. No, I didn't go for a beer though I probably could have. Ah, what a nice lifestyle that was. Too bad the high tech job market is so thin.

I am a bit late to this but fitting the categories of low cost & low humidity, has anyone suggested Barstow, CA? Even cheaper, try Baker , CA and whole swatches of Nevada outside of major cities.

I am a bit late to this but fitting the categories of low cost & low humidity, has anyone suggested Barstow, CA? Even cheaper, try Baker , CA and whole swatches of Nevada outside of major cities.

And if you don't like Baker or Barstow, there's always Needles!

Ha

I havent been to barstow in about 13-14 years. Unless its drastically improved, I wouldnt recommend landing a prison there due to complications around cruel and unusual punishment. Let alone live there. :p

Southern AZ

We moved from Connecticut to a suburb of Tucson Arizona. It's pretty nice here, air quality is good and the humidity is very low. The summers are warm, but not unbearable for us at least. The fall/winter/spring is delightful.

5 pages and nobody brought up NYC. What were the criteria again ? :)

I sure enjoy visiting Colorado, but that 4.63% tax rate on all Federal taxable income pretty much keeps me from moving here.

Audrey

I sure enjoy visiting Colorado, but that 4.63% tax rate on all Federal taxable income pretty much keeps me from moving here.

Audrey

Sounds like paradise to some of us.

Audrey

Audrey, I think you need to look at the entire tax burden, not just income tax. Texas has no income tax but other taxes (property, sales) are significant.

Back
Top Bottom