MEN: So...How many GOOD years do you think you have left?

kcowan,
hope the bike barge tour goes well, and the legs come through!
Thank you! Given that tendon problems take a year to get better, my plan is to take strong pain killers and cycle through the pain! This is a bucket list item so I am being a bit pig-headed. I have found the cycling places the biggest stress on the tendons whereas walking seem to be going well.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for this thread and all the honesty on this subject. As DH turns 50 this year I have noticed some definite slowing down in him (he used to go 24/7 nonstop doing very physical labor all day long). It helps to know what to expect down the road as we age. Very enlightening!
8 years ago we had our wall-to-wall carpeting replaced. It involved disconnecting three electronic delivery points in the house. Two TV/satellite/DVD/PC locations, one with a surround sound system attached, and the third our Internet infrastructure with our printer/scanner/wifi.

This week we upgraded to engineered floating hardwood. So the same task had to be repeated. After 8 years, much of the tasks were relearning. But what I also noticed was that I needed more time to accomplish the tasks. For four days, this was the number one task for DW and I. We each had one outside commitment each day but never simultaneously.

We got it done but I would suggest that these tasks just take longer. But we fell it is important to step up to the task to put off physical degradation as long as possible,

(We retired for the first time 24 years ago and for the last time 14 years ago.)

The biggest change is that we can no longer sustain a marathon effort like we used to. We just plan to for time to accomplish the tasks.

(And I now have to get rid of all the spare wires that 8 years makes redundant!)

Agree with those who said core muscles very important to prevent back pain. I have been doing core exercises since my last major lower back "episode" in 2006. Two months in a wheelchair just as I retired was a poor start to retirement. So lost 20 lbs and started core exercises and back has been good since.
One day you will probably look to that incident as a milestone forcing you to focus on your health right from the start!

Such events can be problems or opportunities. You have taken the opportunity.:greetings10:

One day you will probably look to that incident as a milestone forcing you to focus on your health right from the start!

Such events can be problems or opportunities. You have taken the opportunity.:greetings10:

Thanks. Let me know how the trip goes. We leave for Umbria on Tuesday.

Ha, let me tell you from experience, its also an even better upper for those who are already up. A great "recreational drug". Well it was anyways, as I found out there are 2 sides to the story. I found out GF is not so enamored with the marathons. Was told not to use them anymore... Tried to sneak one in a few weeks later and my bloodshot eyes gave me away and I got yelled at. Wasn't good....I am afraid the rest are just stranded assets now. Good thing I didn't buy many..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ROTFLMAO.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Ha, let me tell you from experience, its also an even better upper for those who are already up. A great "recreational drug". Well it was anyways, as I found out there are 2 sides to the story. I found out GF is not so enamored with the marathons. Was told not to use them anymore... Tried to sneak one in a few weeks later and my bloodshot eyes gave me away and I got yelled at. Wasn't good....I am afraid the rest are just stranded assets now. Good thing I didn't buy many..

Thanks for the LOL, it was so loud that I woke my husband up. He is recovering from bad food poisoning.
I've heard it gave Hugh Hefner lots of problem. Apparently he is in a wheel chair now, maybe that's the side effect.

Wow, your a better man than I.
Yes we have been in this place for 19 years, and had one new carpet installed 8 years ago. So I knew what I was in for. Mostly the wiring for the 6 speaker stereo. Managed to get rid of many redundant items. HDMI replaces so many cables. And wifi replaces the LAN cables. No VCR hookups. But reassembling the wall unit was a challenge.

Of course we had upgraded to flat panel TVs with DVD players many years ago so some of the problem had been dealt with. But we love the new hardwood floor and think the air quality has improved. It feels like a new place yet familiar.

(Incidentally, the four-man installing team took four days, with the boss coming back next week just to finish up. Luckily it was a fixed price bid.)

Last edited:
First it's your toe, then your ankle, then your knee. Doesn't take much imagination to figure out what will let you down next...

It's like 'head shoulders, knees and toes' all over again :p

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

You can always give them to your friends, I assume?:cool:

Funny you mention that... I gave one each to 2 friends... One after using wanted to buy the rest, but I wouldn't sell, because hey ya never know, right? :). The other friend then afterward went to doc and got him a stash. Btw... Neither Of the wives know, and they are not telling!
I did learn this though and I assume it still true as I got them about 3 years ago. They are expensive like $33 a pill that I got.. But ...They are same price whether you buy 10 mg or 100 mg. So you buy the 100mg and chop them up... And dont just cut in half and swallow that part.....Your eyes will explode out of their sockets!
I know RE....TMI.... :)

It is very important to consult customers/users before making major system changes. A very common type of error is to upgrade one system component without making concomitant upgrades to others that depend on it. For example, installing hardware with greater input-output capacity at one end of the system, causing degraded performance of components elsewhere in the system; resulting in negative customer feedback.

It is very important to consult customers/users before making major system changes. A very common type of error is to upgrade one system component without making concomitant upgrades to others that depend on it. For example, installing hardware with greater input-output capacity at one end of the system, causing degraded performance of components elsewhere in the system; resulting in negative customer feedback.

:LOL:

Thanks for the LOL, it was so loud that I woke my husband up. He is recovering from bad food poisoning.
I've heard it gave Hugh Hefner lots of problem. Apparently he is in a wheel chair now, maybe that's the side effect.

I see you are still traveling, any idea where your DH picked up the food problem. I always try to pick clean, busy eating locales as this is something I don't want happening when we travel...

I see you are still traveling, any idea where your DH picked up the food problem. I always try to pick clean, busy eating locales as this is something I don't want happening when we travel...
We original thought it was at a local French restaurant but I think now his sister is having it, so my guess, there is something going around, he must have caught it at the Chelsea flower show, where his sister also went with us. It's the only explanation because we all ate different food. There were lots of people from all over the world, well mostly European.
I hope that's the explanation because I'm quite fond of this French restaurant, affordable and tasty.

+1...
Guys sometimes are guilty of trying to "completing the project" without first consulting the proper "owners manual" to prevent such "system component degradation". :)

+1...
Guys sometimes are guilty of trying to "completing the project" without first consulting the proper "owners manual" to prevent such "system component degradation". :)

Please forward a copy of the operators manual.

We original thought it was at a local French restaurant but I think now his sister is having it, so my guess, there is something going around, he must have caught it at the Chelsea flower show, where his sister also went with us. It's the only explanation because we all ate different food. There were lots of people from all over the world, well mostly European.
I hope that's the explanation because I'm quite fond of this French restaurant, affordable and tasty.

Well, let us know if you are sick tomorrow and the we'll know it wasn't the food.

I may have won the genetic lottery. Dad is still going at age 95. He drove to the mountains to cut and haul firewood by himself until his late 80s. Mom passed just this year at age 94, although her mobility was not good the last 5 years.

I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I hike several times a week and occasionally will take 5 to 10 mile hikes, some at over 7,000 feet elevation.

I hope to follow in Dad's footsteps. He was always very active until developing congestive heart failure last year. I hope to be the 80 year old guy hiking the Bright Angel trail at the Grand Canyon.

The notion of how many good years do we left one of the drivers for us to complete some items on our bucket list that are mutually exclusive. We will each be doing some solo travel-as much a month at a time- to go to those places where we need to be in reasonable shape to enjoy. We can meet up somewhere at the end of the solo trip.

Just thought of something for all to look into. Got this from my wife's ophtamologist who has been treating her for very poor eyesight, retina peels, possible cornea transplant, etc. Told my wife they are working on stem cell transplants. We got to talking and he said this is really coming on strong in all fields of medicine. I heard of a man recently that did stem cell transplant on his knee but don't know results. Maybe if you have the time and the money, you should all start to read up on this.

Last edited:
I noticed it first at age 25, that I was less able than I was at 20.
My same age buddy agreed and said as a navy deep diver that he noticed he used to be the first to jump off into the water, but by 25 was the last fellow in.

Then life got busy, and the decades rolled by.
I just junked my scuba tank as I finally admitted to myself that I won't scuba dive anymore.
I nearly drowned a couple of years ago at Hanauma bay while snorkelling over the outer edge, so this has been a lesson that I'm not quite so young anymore, and not being realistic about my abilities could be dangerous.

My view is it's an evolution of my life, and biologically humans have not really evolved to live this long normally so things will wear out, and the get up and go will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom