MEN: So...How many GOOD years do you think you have left?

That is a question that weighs on my mind too.

I retired early at 56 and turned 60 last year. The first 4 years of retirement have been a blast.... actively golfing a couple days a week (mostly riding 18 but sometimes walking 9).

Most of the guys I hang with these days are 5-10 years older and I can see that they are starting to get various back issues, knee issues, etc. One of our gulf buddies recently passed away at 75 but seemed much older. My dad passed at 75 too, but my mom's side lives until their 90s.

I'm guessing that I have 10, perhaps 15 "good" years left before I will have to give up some of the things I enjoy doing.

Not a guy either (duh) but DH (68 this year) has spent the past 12 months post open-heart surgery for valve repair focused on fitness, five days a week cardio, strength, and flexibility training, and he is better than ever.

Interesting recent news: Seniors can double their strength in 12 weeks plus extend their lives per this report: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_158654.html

I'm 58 now and have been feeling the effects of aging for many years. Shoulder, knees, elbows, back etc. Although I'm not what I once was, I still enjoy a ton of activities and sports with a lowered expectation.

* Golf frequently
* Snow ski once or twice a year on less challenging slopes and for shorter days
* Water ski once every 3 or 4 years for 5 minutes or less per run
* Tennis several times per year at a slower less competitive pace
* Racquetball very seldom (more to do with no one to play with)
* Running ended with bad knees 15 years ago
* Weightlifting frequently, although much lighter workouts
* Backpacking once or twice a year (4 or 5 miles per day instead of 10+)
* Hiking frequently, no real restriction here
* Scuba dive rarely (more due to lack of access to warm water)

I rode a chair lift at Bear Valley this year with a guy 80 years old. I played golf with a guy 91 years old. I guess it all depends on how you define GOOD years left. With lowered expectations and slowly eliminating an activity here or there, I hope to have 20 to 25 good years left.

Last edited:
I'm 28 and have anxiety that I will wake up one day and be 65.
I have a lot planned between now and then, so hopefully by the time my body gives out on me all I will want to do is sit back and read a good book.

Wow. This is a very sobering thread. Really making me think hard about the limited amount of time I’ve got left. I’m 63 and had been planning on FIR’ing (leaving off the “E” because of my age) this summer, but haven’t set a date or given notice yet. Recent poor performance of my portfolio and the realization that I may need to provide some ongoing financial support to a not-quite-launched adult son had me considering OMY. But, reading everyone’s stories here has forced me to re-commit to FIR back on my original schedule (waiting on some RSU’s to vest).

Other than taking daily meds and being closely watched by my doctor for blood pressure and high cholesterol, I feel good and don’t have any real restrictions on physical activity. But, I don’t have the stamina that I used to have, and I know things will eventually get worse, not better. So, it really is time for me to FIR, and start doing what I want to do while I can still do it.

Thanks for starting this thread. It’s been a good reality check for me.

I will be 68 in a couple of months and I am still active. I plan a bike trip to Costa Rica in the next couple of years and a zip line experience is in the mix. I bungee jumped in NZ a couple of years ago. I was still popping up on a slalom ski last year and expect to keep that up for a few more.

For both DW and I cycling is our mainstay and we hope to keep it up into our 80s. Staying active and maintaining weight are the keys to achieving that but s**t happens. If I am knocked out of biking and hiking I hope I can at least keep reading. After that my exit plan kicks in if I am still capable and of a mind for it.

Hard to say how many good years one has left. We all decline steadily, some slower than others.

When you are bedridden or wheelchair bound, you will recall the time when you can get out of bed and go to the toilet by yourself, and say "those are my good years".

Based on the octagenerians that I ride bikes fast with, I think I will be able to keep going until my mid-80s. That is, if they keep making me ride faster to keep up with them.

The biking part is not nearly as hard as the recovery from a bad fall.

I do have to agree that strenuous bike riding will keep older folks fit longer and put less stress on the knees which exhibit a high failure rate from running, etc.

Certainly something I think about too. Will be 66 in a couple months and in excellent shape/health. Workout every day and O2 uptake capacity in mid to high 40's. Take 1-2 bike trips, mostly to Europe, every year with a group that is about 15 years younger than I. Wife is 7 years younger than I am and in equally good shape/health. Still enjoy downhill skiing every year.

I figure I'm good to continue on this way (baring a serious injury or illness) till at least mid 70's maybe 80? At that point there are e-bikes that I can use to extend things. Of course there are no guarantees.

Have you noticed that ladies have their first major health issues at age 50, as it's something to do with their plumbing makup and menopause. Men wait until age 60 to fall apart--the first time. But if men live long enough, the chances are the old prostrate will cause trouble.

I just turned 66, and I'm doing okay physically other than having type II diabetes. I chose to go on an insulin pump in order to remain more stable in blood sugar, and those on the pump average living 2 years longer. My genes were stacked against me, as my father and uncle were on hemodialysis due to kidney failure. My 59 year old girl cousin never went to the doctor and she's on hemodialysis and in a wheelchair--looking like she's 80 years old. Hows that to motivate me to eat right?

Unfortunately, diabetics also have about a 2/3 chance that they'll require open heart surgery and have circulation problems--in addition to kidney problems.

So who knows how long we have on this earth. The rest of my family has longtivity--dying in their 90's. My aunt made it to 99 years and 8 months. I'll take those odds.

55-70 is what I consider the best years for active life! Anything beyond 70 is a bonus. I'm planning to FIRE at age 55 in four years.

Having turned 55, it occasionally comes as a shock when I simply do not have the raw muscle to move a heavy object. I mean, the will is there, but the body clearly will not do it. At 40 I could spend the whole day moving wheelbarrows of gravel (garden stuff) and take a day to recover. Now? Not so much...
I'm trying to retain the muscle mass, but it seems to be a losing battle. I now have to seriously plan for times when I know the physical exertion will be high. Kinda makes me sad! Also, I try not to go on the roof or tall ladders when I don't have to.
More worried about the DW, since she's not so keen on a lot of exercise. I do keep dropping hints that I want to get out of the work force ASAP (no later than 64, hoping for 60). My family genes are not conducive to excellent health and stamina in the later years and, jeez, I'd like to have a decent amount of time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Last edited:
56 and having this questions a lot lately. Physical activity has long been a big passion for me. Most recently racing bikes was my drug of choice. An unexpected series of health issues all hit about three years ago - lymphoma, aortic aneurysm, and a form of afib.

Not only can't I race but I have gone from one of the fast guys to struggling to keep up with the slow ones - a real ego reset to happen so suddenly.

This experience makes me wonder what malady will strike next and cause another expectation reset. Hopefully I have the worst behind me. It has definitely caused me to accelerate the priority of active travel while that is still on the table. 3 years ago I would have bet I would be one of the fast 70 year olds I would ride with. Now I wonder if I just hope I am not the 70 year old touring Europe in a wheel chair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mid 50's so on basis of men in my family , things go downhill rapidly after 70, with most living to mid 80's.

OP Add a pole ?

I'm not a guy, but honestly I wouldn't count on any intense physical activity over around age 70 or so.

I'll be 68 in a couple of weeks. OK, I'm female but anyway in my case I have noticed a much faster and more inexorable physical decline during the past year. I'm very glad that I do not long to travel, run marathons, or climb mountains, because I think that my physical capabilities have begun the decline that you are asking about. It's just part of life and it happens to all of us eventually if we live long enough.

Something I have noticed on the forum is that often our older members do not admit to the deleterious effects of aging. So maybe I am one of the first to age :rolleyes: and I'll try to have the courage to admit it from time to time. Aging is part of life, if we are lucky enough to continue living long enough.

Last edited:
How many good years to go?

I'm 68 and any year past now is a good year. Very healthy so these years are extra good years. :)

I'm 28 and have anxiety that I will wake up one day and be 65.

I turned 40 in Saudi Arabia....wrote to a (since dead) aunt, and observed that, when last I 'looked' I was 20, and that I had gone from 20 to 40 in one leap that I barely noticed......and that, in another 20 years I'd be 60.....so, in two almost imperceptible steps I'd have jumped from 20 to 60...(and now I'm almost 70% done on the 3rd step).

Your anxiety is well founded.....use it to your best advantage.

I am 58 and am fortunate to be in good shape. No issues with back, joints, knees, etc. I really think not being very good in sports that demanded a lot of physicality (football, basketball, etc.) helped me in the long run :). Not getting as many hits or running up and down the court as much as some of my friends who excelled in these sports has left me in better physical condition that some of them. I stopped my "weekend warrior" days of playing contact/flag football in my early 40's and full court basketball against my kids and their friends in my early 50's.

I'm learning that just staying active everyday seems to help delaying things... walking, hiking, biking, gym workouts, yoga. Walking the golf course, or riding the course but keeping the cart on the cart path also helps. Even mowing -I've been delaying fixing/replacing my riding mower from last year because I'm finding what a good workout I'm getting with a push mower). Even now working at home I put together a makeshift standing desk so that I could stand up more than I sit during working hours. And then there is, shall I say, "regular physical intimacy" without need for chemical enhancement that I'm sure is a benefit of keeping in shape. :dance:

I have been going for thorough annual checkups every year since I was 40... and I am SURPRISED at how few of my male friends do. These annual checks have uncovered several issues that were able to be addressed and resolved in plenty of time and improved my health. It is incredible how the thought of getting their prostate checked strikes fear into them :LOL:.

I'm also paying much more attention to food... I used to think DW was crazy for counting calories and weighing food, but..now I'm doing it. Using fitbit helps. I look at it as another "nerdy" way to mess around with numbers. It also helps with tracking my weight, which is down almost 30 pounds from when I "peaked". I don't really diet, but eat more balanced and in moderation. While my days of eating a 16 ounce Skittles bags in a single sitting a couple of times a week are over, I'll still enjoy a 2 ounce bag 1-2 times a month guilt free :).

So I'm hoping I can get some good years for a while - though I would agree that 70 seems to be when things start catching to most (not all) folks. My goal is to trying to keep moving and active as much as I can. I'll always remember the grandfather of one of my friends growing up who must have been in his 80s but was still very active. Once he was doing some work in their yard, and we offered to help, and he said, "Thanks, but I'm fine and I like the activity. The day will come when I won't be able to do this anyone, so I want to do it for as long as I can." Wise words.

I'm 62 and I play competitive doubles tennis 3 times a week in a league of folks between 55 and 70. In the summer I play in an over 60 competitive USTA league also. My body recovers well with a one day's rest but some of the older guys who are 70 are not recovering as well and lately have reduce their playing to once a week. So I'm thinking I still have a few more years of competitive tennis in me before I'll have to revert to recreational tennis once or twice a week.

I think worrying about how many good years do I have left is wrong-headed. When and if your years become other than good, you will know. Until then, laissez les bon temps rouler!

Ha

65 here, still mountain biking 10-15 miles 3x a week, do all the yard work and maintenance but do try to avoid ladders..

If it wasn't for the yard work I scheduled for today, I'd be out on a bike for at least a 12 mile ride, it is such a nice day. Biking is the one activity I very much enjoy and while my speed and mileage is not the same as it once was, it's great exercise and easier on my joints. Haven't worked up to doing my hilly farm country course yet after the winter break, but have enjoyed the flat 16 mile beach roads several times.
I must admit, I'd probably enjoy activities more if I'd drop about 15-20 pounds that have slowly been added. Marathon running weight was 25 pounds and 25 years ago!

Kind of a depressing thread, but a good reminder to make the most out of my 30's, 40's and 50's. For general planning purposes, I figure I'll fall apart some time in my 60's. Two male grandparents didn't last much longer than 70 before things fell apart. I've noticed a huge change between age 58 or 59 and age 64 for my dad. I figure that's the script I'll follow largely because of genetics.

At 35 I can still do pretty much anything I could at 18 though it's not always as easy (and sometimes hurts more the next day :) ).

Ah, at some point, you will think "Why even bother", and just sit in your rocking chair and enjoy the petunia on your front porch.

Is it depressing? No, it's just life. Life is not always about jumping up and down with exuberance. Life can be very sober, and even sad.

Will turn 60 in a couple of weeks but still very active. I run at least 3 days a week, lift weights 3 days a week, hike, bike, kayak, waterski, play basketball, etc. I have not really noticed much decline in physical abilities other than a bit slower pace when running.

I do think resistance training helps one age more slowly. I also switched to a LCHF diet a couple of years ago, and it suits me well as I have no problem staying at an almost ideal weight (for me) while eating as much as I desire. I feel much younger at almost 60 than I ever hoped/expected -- guess when I was a youngster, most folks over 55 seemed to be quite inactive (and old).

Back
Top Bottom