MEN: So...How many GOOD years do you think you have left?

I am 59 and I hoping to have bunch a good years ahead. Outdoor sports/activities are important to me. I like to ride dirt/adventure motorcycles and the guys I ride with are in their 70's. I went scuba diving with some 60 year olds last weekend. My wife and I went biking with some neighbors that were in their 20's and they had trouble keeping up with us.

I used to run a lot but I became worried about joints so now I only do lower impact aerobics like walking, kayaking, elliptical and biking. The problem I found with running is that if you do it a lot you feel the need to compete in races or get faster which is okay but doesn't necessarily contribute to overall fitness. My goal is just to stay healthy enough to enable other activities. I switched my exercise to less running and more weight training. I lift weights twice a week for 30 minutes. I have actually never been stronger, but if I skip workouts, I can really tell the difference in a pretty short time so it seems to be important to maintain the regular training so you don't lose muscle at this age.

Couple of stories:
Seven years ago, on a Saturday, my wife talked in to going with her to have a test done for osteoporosis being performed by a company called "Life Line Screening". I went along and decided to have the complete test, about $150. They discovered an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). The next Monday I had a CT scan to confirm and two days later a vascular surgeon performed an endovascular stent graft. I was lucky to be a candidate for this surgery because the alternate surgery is radical. I was also lucky because there are few symptoms to this condition. My point: if you ever see this screening being offered in your area, do yourself a favor and have this test done. This is what killed John Ritter. If the aneurysm ruptures, you'll bleed to death before you get to the hospital. You can Google AAA and the fixes.

2. Used to play golf with a retired cardiologist. He said to watch the five signs for potential heart attack. If you have three of the five you have a serious problem. Genes is always the number one factor. Then in no order are obesity, cholesterol, smoking and blood pressure. The doctor had two of the five but his good genes trumped the other problem (cholesterol). Take heed.

My advice for the day!

Last edited:
OP here. Well, another one bites the dust, but he's better off. Friend 76 in a nursing home, was suppose to visit him on Wednesday, pushed it off to Thursday (yesterday) and got a call he died of a heart attack on the way to the hospital in an ambulance Wednesday night. Feel like a s**t. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I volunteer at a nursing home and that's where I met him, I would bring fresh fruit and we'd play Scrabble. Old folks are very good at Scrabble because they grew up without TV like us Boomers. He was a college philosophy, classics and poetry professor so my visits were the times of great conversation, imagine a real life "Tuesdays With Morrie". So I am more inclined to dwell on the topic line of this thread and perhaps he's one of the reasons I started this thread? Ironic I did it right before his sudden death. BTW, I just signed him up for the weekly New Yorker cartoon caption contest and wouldn't it be GREAT if he won posthumously this weekend? Oh well...

In his early 70's he contracted a bad case of Parkinsons, over our two years of friendship, weekly and bi-weekly visits, I saw him slowly declined but I also took note as to HOW FEW males there are at the nursing home. In fact, the women would manipulate the staff to get a man to sit at their dining table! All seating is assigned I reckon. Met him across the hall where my uncle was also dying from Parkinsons, so I guess I became comfortable in that environment. Totally off topic: I have seen first hand what happens when you get old and sick without family or money, but that's too depressing to contemplate, but I digress...

So...we talked about being bed ridden, paralyzed part of the day and the good years between retiring from teaching and getting sick. "That's the gap", I thought, and has led me to the subject line of this thread. Been thinking about that line a lot more lately and I realize some people, as the above posters point out, don't want to reflect on that too deeply, it's too scary I know. There's going to be this 'golden zone' for all of us males between about 60-early 70's when we can last enjoy it, unless you want to count on being a statistical outlier? Just because you can do it today doesn't mean you can do it tomorrow, so might as well do it today, right? My favorite line from the Big Short:

"People hate to think about bad things happening so they always underestimate their likelihood."

So even though I am semi-retired and one of the few who truly loves his "work" (I get bummed when I read posts of guys hating a soul less megacorp career), I have to tame my Type A, very competitive, adrenaline seeking, workaholic tendencies to start to stop and smell the roses, get mindful. Work on my bucket list which is WAY too long for one lifetime (don't the rich have it grand?). There's so much I want to do but I see the sand running out now that I'm 64, it's clearer now. Funerals focus the mind...

But don't want to be a Debbie Downer. Beautiful day here and a great holiday weekend coming up in Door County, WI, so going to enjoy while the wife goes to work!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend and thank you vets!

. There's going to be this 'golden zone' for all of us males between about 60-early 70's when we can last enjoy it, unless you want to count on being a statistical outlier? Just because you can do it today doesn't mean you can do it tomorrow, so might as well do it today, right?

I have to tame my Type A, very competitive, adrenaline seeking, workaholic tendencies to start to stop and smell the roses, get mindful. Work on my bucket list which is WAY too long for one lifetime (don't the rich have it grand?). There's so much I want to do but I see the sand running out now that I'm 64, it's clearer now. Funerals focus the mind...

Have a great Memorial Day weekend and thank you vets!

My thoughts as well. Wasn't so long ago that I'd go out with my sons for runs on the trails nearby. But all it took was a serious case of Achilles tendinitis to bring down my activity and fitness level. It took two years for it to really heal (the docs had little to offer) and the two year layoff has really effected my fitness and endurance. I probably could have done more to mitigate the loss, it's my total dislike of any indoor exercise that was my ultimate undoing (and our winter's don't help).

But it'll be a hot weekend here, after two days of yard work (that wiped me out by 9pm each day), I'm going for a 16 mile bike ride on my flat course.

And your welcome, served in the Air Force 1971-1975,

We are in a hurry to do things, experience things, and travel to places that interest us for all the reasons noted above.

We do not want to wait until it is too late...the bus runs us over or we fall ill. Too many people in too many nursing homes wishing that they had done the things in retirement that they dreamed of during their working lives.

It is like any other decision in life...it is about taking advantage of opportunity. The opportunity to do the things you have always wanted to do. Some people let opportunities pass them by, others recognize them for what they are and seize them.

62 this week. Have lost 40 lbs in the last year, getting to a weight I last weighed in college. Still a bit dumpy and trying for another 15-25# to get fat % to 20% range.
Doing weights/stretching 3x/week.
Have also discovered Qi gong and Tai Chi. A 68 year old friend who has done Tai Chi for 20+ years described it as "a good way to age". Both work on joint flexibility, balance, subtle strength, and ability to mentally focus/meditate.
Golf game is as good as it's ever been, to my surprise, hitting the ball as far as I ever have, although I expect the dreaded drop off in distance to occur any year now after having watched older players reach 65-75.
The other day, I was thinking how much younger I felt after having lost the weight and pursuing the consistent exercise. Immediately, as this thought occurred, I smashed my toe running up the stairs, as if to remind myself I'm 62 not 32.

I always figured it was even more important to keep your back strong and healthy. Maybe it's because I don't have a strong core, so I have to do some good core exercises, or else my back will ache. Also I take care in how I lift things (until I'm alone and need to move something awkward up or down stairs, and don't have patience to wait for someone). My legs have always been strong.

RunningBum, that is true. Core is very important. But if you do a few of those powerlifts (correctly!) like front and rear squats and dead lifts for example, your back and core will strengthen right along with your legs. They are fantastic for complete body conditioning in a dynamic movement. I started learning how to do them correctly in the last few years and I am amazed at how well they work for all around strength and conditioning. I had a history of lower back problems, but they have been minimized with these exercises. The key is correct technique and proper weight. I see people often hurting themselves trying to go too heavy and using poor form.

Last edited:
We faced a major decision point in our lives when we retired early. The choice was to keep on as we had been or change. Change in terms of get down to our ideal weight, change our eating habits and choices, and exercise.

The alternative was to keep going as we were, possibly develop diabetes or other ailments linked to poor eating habits obesity, and sedentary lifestyle. This path ensured a shorter lifespan, a retirement that was less than ideal, and frequent visits to health professionals and pharmacies. We have relatives who have selected this option and we have no desire to emulate their choice.

The choice was obvious. Besides, I chose an DB pension over a commuted payout so I want to get my money's worth from the plan. So far, so good.

We did Option A and it is incredible how quickly we saw an improvement almost immediately after we changed our lifestyle.

That is not to say a health disaster will not strike. But we want to enjoy any time between now and then to the fullest.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for this thread and all the honesty on this subject. As DH turns 50 this year I have noticed some definite slowing down in him (he used to go 24/7 nonstop doing very physical labor all day long). It helps to know what to expect down the road as we age. Very enlightening!

Interesting to see almost everyone is upbeat here. I guess those died at 50s or 60s did not have a chance to speak here.

Sitting here nursing turf toe from helping coach my daughter's softball team at age 41 here, y'all are bringing me down!

Seriously, though, this is the thing that drives DW and I towards ER. Retiring at 65 is simply unacceptable to me as my Dad died suddenly at 70.

Agree with those who said core muscles very important to prevent back pain. I have been doing core exercises since my last major lower back "episode" in 2006. Two months in a wheelchair just as I retired was a poor start to retirement. So lost 20 lbs and started core exercises and back has been good since.

First it's your toe, then your ankle, then your knee. Doesn't take much imagination to figure out what will let you down next...

I hear tell, there's a blue pill for that. It's an upper for those who are down. All hearsay.

Last edited:
I hear tell, there's a blue pill for that. It's an upper for those who are down. All hearsay.

Ha, let me tell you from experience, its also an even better upper for those who are already up. A great "recreational drug". Well it was anyways, as I found out there are 2 sides to the story. I found out GF is not so enamored with the marathons. Was told not to use them anymore... Tried to sneak one in a few weeks later and my bloodshot eyes gave me away and I got yelled at. Wasn't good....I am afraid the rest are just stranded assets now. Good thing I didn't buy many..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom