More on "friend who wants to sell IUL to me"

Why don't you ask him what his definition is of a risky investment?

You have it exactly right. The DW does want to go down to their place and ride on the sailboat. That is one trip I will dread. . . .

http://www.early-retirement.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

But as the saying goes, "Happy wife = happy life" :).

The next time he makes the sales pitch, tell him that all you do for investing is blindly follow the market indexes and most investments can't consistently do better. When he says his investment is better, ask him to prove it. That should be a conversation killer. :D

The next time he makes the sales pitch, tell him that all you do for investing is blindly follow the market indexes and most investments can't consistently do better. When he says his investment is better, ask him to prove it. That should be a conversation killer. :D
I doubt it will kill the conversation. He'll have an answer, if he's any good at selling (which he apparently is). In my experience, try to reason or argue one's way to an end these engagements is fruitless--it just goes on and on. It has to be a firm statement of disinterest in pursuing the course of action AND of discussing the course of action. Then don't ever discuss the subject again despite hints and leading statements. In response to direct questions, either pretend not to hear them or say "As before, it's something I'm not interested in discussing." That's the only way I've been able to salvage relationships when such a topic comes up (religion, politics, money, etc).

I doubt it will kill the conversation. He'll have an answer, if he's any good at selling (which he apparently is). In my experience, try to reason or argue one's way to an end these engagements is fruitless--it just goes on and on. It has to be a firm statement of disinterest in pursuing the course of action AND of discussing the course of action. Then don't ever discuss the subject again despite hints and leading statements. In response to direct questions, either pretend not to hear them or say "As before, it's something I'm not interested in discussing." That's the only way I've been able to salvage relationships when such a topic comes up (religion, politics, money, etc).

That will be my exact plan. We can be friends as long as he doesn't get aggressive. I will tell him I have MY plan and its working just fine, thank you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom