Mother in law out of money for co-pays

My wife and I have always had this agreement, that we should minimize any disagreement over money. We have always been LBYM, like Midpack and his wife, so the dispute of spending how much or for what does not come up often.

When we were first married, my wife's parents were in a tight financial situation, and we helped them out quite a bit. These were always gifts, as there was no way they could ever repay them. In return, my wife's relationship with my side of the family could not be better. I often think that my wife gets along with my siblings and even my parents better than I do!

Give and receive...

And by the way, I am an agnostic.

Last edited:
I'd call it the difference between being Christian and un-Christian.

I suggest we agree to disagree,

If I supplement anyone's lifestyle, above their means, then it pulls both parties finances down. That is stupid, because it corrects no poor behavior nor the situation.

It is far more christian to correct the behavior, than to feed them for a day.

Just the way I see it, Enjoy your day !

This sentence from the original post: "My wife wants to use some of our emergency funds to pay for her mothers treatments." For the life of me, I don't know how OP can refuse to pay without a major damaging effect on the marriage.

I think you (and most who post here) are a little "different" in that we analyze situations where many others simply go by "what everybody I know/grew up with would do." But you surely don't give off any whiff of sociopathy!

Could it be that vast runs of people never do anything for anyone, but they also don't tell anyone about it, whereas the folks who sacrifice are sure to let everyone know? So the general perception is that "most" people are ready to sacrifice for family, no matter the circumstances.

Just a thought.

Amethyst

I have long wondered if I am mildly sociopathic. I have compassion in the sense of "I am sorry that you are in this situation," and have helped out friends and family in need where i perceive...

I wonder this indicates a lack of something that is present in most people, as I am clearly not the norm.

Edit:

Back
Top Bottom