My doomsday scenario

Never had squirrel, though they are very numerous in my yard. Ate snake on a stick during Army survival training. Not something I have a taste for, though it did taste like chicken :cool:. Recently got some pictures from a friend visiting South America and was in a restaurant where were serving roast groundhog for lunch. Must be an acquired taste. And the variety of unknown critters being served up in many parts of Asia is amazing. Good place to practice can’t identify, eat fruit.

I’ll stick to my cases of toilet paper in the attic, makes for great insulation and I figure I can trade a roll for some frog legs or a squirrel post doomsday

Much better than dog food. Also able to be acquired with a dab of peanut butter as bait on a strategically placed rat trap.

Now you got me thinkin'. However we have those big foxsquirrels so I might have to somehow lure them into one of those Conibear traps. However as long as I'm well to do I'll stop by the store for some beef.

For some reason, squirrel sounds tasty, like Frog legs which I love
Squirrel is tasty. A great childhood memory is the the neighbor would make squirrel pot pie, sometimes I'd get a few scraps.

My DM was a great cook, except when it was game. She'd overcook it every time. First time I had venison rare it was an amazing experience.

Last edited:
Squirrel is very tasty, "Chicken of the tree." Lots of great ways to prepare it: stew, pot pie, various braised dishes, hasenpfeffer, with dumplings, fried with sawmill gravy, etc. Can be high in cholesterol, though.

I love fried squirrel, or squacks as we called them. It was an annual treat growing up to go squirrel hunting and mom would fry them up or make dumplings and gravey with them.

Squirrels: We've always had the typical grey squirrels in our yard, but a few years ago a few red squirrels moved in. I think here in S Ohio we're at the southern edge of the red squirrel's territory. If you haven't seen 'em, they re a lot smaller, and faster, than the grey squirrels (so, probably harder to shoot and hardly worth the trouble to clean and eat). Smaller or not, they dominate the grey squirrels, chasing them out of trees, etc. Very plucky.
We enjoy watching all of them. Yes, they dig up potted plants, chew on bird feeders, etc, but provide good entertainment.

Last edited:
All this squirrel talk...
Grew up very poor and we hunted for meals east of Kaufman Tx. That included every kind
of varmint - even nutria (river rat), rabbits, racoons, dove, ducks etc. My grandmother
had a way of cooking that everything tasted delicious.
Squirrels were so smart - fast forward to where I live now in Bee Cave TX
I have to kick them out of the way at the park.

DH remembers eating squirrel brains which were apparently considered the best part....

[/B]

It depends.In retirement many people downsize their expenses from HCOL to MCOL or LCOL. This is different than working where job opportunities tend to be much greater in HCOL areas.

+1

It depends on what you value.

I would rather starve than eat squirrel.:yuk:

Well, I say that, but I have never been in a position to have to choose. I do know that for sure, I would rather go to bed hungry than eat squirrel.

I don't like gamey foods! I hate venison, too, if that is any consolation. :sick:

I'm a city girl. It's city water, city sewage, and food from grocery stores, for me.

DH remembers eating squirrel brains which were apparently considered the best part....

Organ meats were considered healthy when I was a kid. We had liver, sweetbreads (pancreas), and a few other things that I have tried to block out of my memory. One reason was that most of these were cheaper than steak and fish and popular in the "old" country. The other was that there were ethnic traditions that favored these foods. I never had snails until I visited France - they weren't bad at all. I also remember chocolate covered insects in Asia. And my heritage called for eating tongue, herring in cream sauce and some very strangely named dishes that actually taste good. Some people (mostly Scandinavian) like lutefish, which is cured in lye. Each to his own. :dance:

Organ meats were considered healthy when I was a kid. We had liver, sweetbreads (pancreas), and a few other things that I have tried to block out of my memory. One reason was that most of these were cheaper than steak and fish and popular in the "old" country. The other was that there were ethnic traditions that favored these foods. <snip>

Travels to Germany were always interesting for me, especially the ones with a vegan coworker. Fortunately I could translate the menu: Calf brain, calf heart, calf liver, calf lung... I'll say this, they sure didn't waste anything. My coworker started seeking out Middle Eastern restaurants where they could accommodate his needs, and prepare "to go" meals for the next day's lunch.

With a bit of sewage as an appetizer, the squirrel will taste fantastic.
Not so sure!!! :ROFLMAO:
Some of our Cajun friends love eating nutria too, but I'm not eating that either. :yuk:

You know what I'd do in a doomsday scenario? I love fishing and I love cooking and eating fish. We live just a few short blocks from Lake Ponchartrain, and the Gulf of Mexico isn't all that far away either. So I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to resort to eating disgusting critters like squirrels, wharf rats, or nutria. Fish would be amazing, terrific, and utterly delicious.

Not so sure!!! :ROFLMAO:
Some of our Cajun friends love eating nutria too, but I'm not eating that either. :yuk:

You know what I'd do in a doomsday scenario? I love fishing and I love cooking and eating fish. We live just a few short blocks from Lake Ponchartrain, and the Gulf of Mexico isn't all that far away either. So I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to resort to eating disgusting critters like squirrels, wharf rats, or nutria. Fish would be amazing, terrific, and utterly delicious.

Plus you have the world's largest supply of Mud Bugs at your fingertips! :LOL:

Plus you have the world's largest supply of Mud Bugs at your fingertips! :LOL:

See? there you go. We have seafood everywhere here. And if Frank brought home a gator, a duck, or some edible snakes, that would be fine, too.

I guess it all depends on just how hungry one is. Nicely described by scenes from two well known films. Tom Hanks, eating a live fish in Castaway, and Charlie Chapman making a feast out of his shoe in The Gold Rush.

I guess it all depends on just how hungry one is. Nicely described by scenes from two well known films. Tom Hanks, eating a live fish in Castaway, and Charlie Chapman making a feast out of his shoe in The Gold Rush.

Not to further derail this thread (hard to do at this point :facepalm:). But....that scene in Castaway is one of my favorites. It’s the first scene when time is fast forwarded. He’s a lean, mean survival machine; he’s learned to fashion a multiprong fishing spear & gets his prey on the first throw; then, the utter resignation on his face as he eats the fish raw tells us everything we need to know about his feelings on his predicament. That one short scene speaks volumes and is a microcosm of the entire movie.

I would rather starve than eat squirrel.:yuk:

Well, I say that, but I have never been in a position to have to choose. I do know that for sure, I would rather go to bed hungry than eat squirrel.

I don't like gamey foods! I hate venison, too, if that is any consolation. :sick:

I'm a city girl. It's city water, city sewage, and food from grocery stores, for me.

Me too. LOL

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom