Need a new credit card

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Southwest Visa. If you have SWA in your airport it ramps you faster to Companion pass which allows DW to fly free with me everywhere we go.

So our plan is:
First part of year - SWA Visa until Companion pass reached with combined flights and spending (usually takes until August).

All hotels with Marriott Visa though.

Then Discover IT - for last part of year deals - 5% on Amazon/Apple/Warehouse clubs...

Am I placing too much value on SWA? If we spend 40k in those first 8 months, we get easily 2000.00 in value with the free Companion Pass flights (not to mention points). That's 5% alone...

I also have the PenFed 5% automatic credit for gas, which was grandfathered from a prior offer where they gave other %'s back on other categories. I thought they now only offer a "points" system, but maybe you can still get the 5% on gas.

I'm not a fan of points; just give me the cash. Preferably monthly, not annually.

I'm surprised no-one mentioned another highly-rated card, the CitiBank Double Cash. Basically 2% back on everything if you pay your full balance on time each month. You can take it as an account credit, although it's not automatic.

I'm going to look into the 5% Amazon deal, that seems great, thanks!

Yes, thanks for the heads-up on the Amazon store card. We have been using the Southwest card exclusively for the last several years as our youngest is up in Seattle area and we are in in California and it has been great. However, I did the math over the weekend and the value of the travel reward points equates to about 1.5% cash back. We don't travel on SW enough (or charge enough, apparently) to qualify for the companion pass.

After some investigation I was planning on switching everything over to the Fidelity 2% card, but I think I will supplement with the Amazon Store Card and its 5% rewards for purchases there. We are already Prime members, so it seems like a no-brainer. Yes it will be another credit card hit on the credit report, but overall I think that is worth it.

I also have the Fidelity rewards card (2% back on everything - no annual fee)
& have no plans of changing. It's just too simple & easy

PFCU devalued its points a while back. It now takes about 6000 points to get a $50 debit card. Still use it for gas and groceries, though, as that's still more than 2% cash back.

II also use PFCU cash CC to get 5% off gas.

Look at www.nerdwallet.com to do comparisons also.

I use Capital One Venture for double miles on everything (we travel enough to make this worthwhile); Amex Blue for gas and groceries, and...

I did it....I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve with the 100,000 bonus miles for $450. I think that offer just expired or is about to expire. I have never churned but decided to try one card at a time for offers and see how it goes. I already got $300 of free travel, a free lounge pass card, and you get 3X miles on dining. And the miles are worth 1.5 cents if you buy travel through their website. So I'll get $1500+ in free travel this year, and cancel the card after 11 months before the fee hits again. Seems worth it to me!

Back
Top Bottom