nm

Re: Good Cheap wine is getting better and cheaper...........

Cut-Throat said:
. . .With the glut of grapes on the World Market and Production efficiencies, great inexpensive wines are getting easier to come by. . .
That's good to hear. I thought I was just turning into a cheap, trashy wino. :eek:

Hey, weren't you the one who asked what good is a Trader Joe's?   :D

I'm glad you now see the light!  ;)

I too, have yet to find a better price point/quality combo than yellowtail, but I usually go a couple bucks more and get the Smoking Loon. I should switch and start learning to embrace LBYM.

Cut-Throat said:
I just returned with a case of 'samples' from trader joes and opened a wine called "Purple Moon Shiraz" ...

Thanks for the info on Purple Moon.

Didn't like Black Mountain Pinot $5.99

J W Morris Cab $3.99 was passable.

Going to delve into Trader Joe's Chilean Collection Merlot/Carmenere $3.99 tonight.

I see you engage in Afternoon Delight! ;)

Gonna find my bottle, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight
My motto's always been 'when it's right, it's right'
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day
And we know the night is always gonna be there any way

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
And the thought of sippin' you is getting so exciting
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight

Started out this morning feeling so polite
I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try sippin'
A little afternoon delight
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight

Please be waiting for me, baby, when I come around
We could make a lot of sippin' 'for the sun goes down

Cut-Throat said:
I bought some of that as well. Also some Bear's Lair and French Market and Black Mountain Fat Cat. All will be tested over the next few days.

The whole case of wine cost me $52 :p
Would appreciate your thoughts on those.

Also tried these from Joes -
a French Syrah - can't remember the name now - wasn't well received - not having much luck with French wines lately

Abrazo del Toro - blend (80% Garnacha, 20% Tempranillo) $5.99 - very drinkable...

DanTien said:
Going to delve into Trader Joe's Chilean Collection Merlot/Carmenere $3.99 tonight.

I'd be interested in hearing how you liked this ... I tried some and really disliked it. But TJ's has a very nice Chilean Malbec. (sorry, can't remember the brand, but it's not Chilean collection)

Don't look now, but the 05 Bordeaux futures are higher than anything in the past including the much heralded 00 vintage. Not all wines are getting cheaper, either, especially California cabernet. Prices are getting very high there. The bargains for "drinkable" wine are in Spain, South Africa, Argentina and to some degree Italy. With the exception of 05 and 00, I can still find a lot of great Bordeaux that will beat California Cab dollar for dollar if you like the style. and I do. I have to admit to being a little picky when it comes to wine and Yellow Tail isn't my thing at all. Like it or not with wine, as with most things, you get what you are willing to pay for. I'll cut my corners elsewhere. Just my perspective.

setab

Great thread. A good list of bottles available at broadly accessible locations (e.g. Trader Joes, Costco, Whole Foods - or is that DC only?) is a useful thing.

I like reds, but DW prefers whites so suggestions on those would be welcome as well.

C-T,

There are no cheap wines in Calgary. Got to be selective up here.

What was the South African wine you liked? I have never found a good one from SA.

Researching Chilean and Argentinian Cabs right now. Any cab from Conch y Toro is running way ahead of more expensive Chilean brands. Marcus James from Argentina is much better than others for the money.

Cheers,

Ed

I view the Wine and the Food as a Total Dining Experiance, and so, if I am having $2 .00's worth of Calves Liver(which I love with bacon and onions), then spending $18.00 or so for an adequate wine is preferable to a $10.00 steak with a $10.00 Bottle of Red.

Values can be found in Hungarian(earliest vinyards in Europe , Argentina, South Africa, and Chile)

U.S .Wines up here are generally at higher price points and I am not a fan of them, I prefer Australian Reds and German Whites.

I stay with Shiraz or Pinot Noir, Merlot is far too smooth for my taste, Cockfighters Ghost, the Rogue, and Nissen Hut are currently my preferance, with Penfolds for more singular occasions

Inexpensive champagne with Salmon goes especially well.

Just because wine is cheap doesn't mean one should buy/drink it.  On the other hand, wine doesn't have to be expensive to be good.  Many of the wines I've tried from Trader Joe's are certainly inexpensive, but as far as taste goes, they are merely passable.....most would rate a 'C' at best.

For everyday wines that I have with dinner, I try to stay under $10 a bottle and my local Safeway has a superb wine selection.  Here are a few favorites:

Columbia Crest Merlot ($5.99 on sale) - B+
Williamsburg Winery Governor's White ($5.50 on sale) - I'm not a big fan of Virginia wines, but this semi-dry white is a real surprise and an excellent value. B+/A-
Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay ($9.79 on sale) - Continues to be the best of the chardonnay's I've tried; very crisp, good fruit.  A-

Of the cheap ones mentioned, what will give me the quickest buzz?  :-\

DOG51 said:
Of the cheap ones mentioned, what will give me the quickest buzz? :-\

I'd move to the hard liquor dept. - Some 151 rum probably would do the trick. Or if you have some friends in the 'dry counties' of Arkansas, they can probably whip up something under the moon. :D

Cut-Throat said:
Well, if cost were no object I'd drink California Cabernets all the time. The biggest bargain in the world right now is Austraila wines. Try a bottle of 'Pillar Box Red' - competes very well with $30 california Cabs for $8.99

I agree on the Pillar Box Red. It is very decent. I also agree that Aussie wines are great bargains for the most part. I have and drink California Cabs, but I like Bordeaux a lot and there are some very good bargains there also. I love to find good QPR wine (Quality to Price Ratio), but I can't drink cheap wine just because it's cheap. I'd rather drink less and drink better.

setab

Cut-Throat said:
I'd move to the hard liquor dept. - Some 151 rum probably would do the trick. Or if you have some friends in the 'dry counties' of Arkansas, they can probably whip up something under the moon. :D

Best save that for the day the portfolio runs dry, sorta like JG's Smith and Wesson... ;)

Georgia Moon brand in a Mason Jar - corn whiskey, 30 days old, Johnston Distilling, Bardstown, KY.

Ann brought some from Alabama when she came to house sit during our past cruise.

Gotta love American marketing.

heh heh heh heh

Cut-Throat said:

Thanks. I need to go to the liquor store tonight anyway as my wine rack is empty so I will check out the rum dept. Not quite ready to experiment with moonshine but that is a thought. Burp.............. :-[

Cut-Throat said:

I still have a bottle of Everclear 190 from college. I have not drunk a drop,
but once or twice a year I open it just to smell it. I am immediately reminded
of why I have not had any in 29 years.

I agree with the Yellow Tail assessment - good price point, good wine.  Trader Joe's (now that it's here in MN) has decent stuff cheap too - but I like the wine sale (and free taste tests) that Surdyks puts on every year.  Worth waiting for.
Has anyone had luck ordering wine off the internet:confused:  Found any worthwhile sites or wineries that you are willing to share??  School is almost out (next week - hooray!!) so I need a new project :)  

WINE OFF THE INTERNET WARNING

Yes, I have purchased considerable wine off the internet. It almost becomes an addiction and it is scary how easy and reliable it is, if you stick to established, respected sites. There are two downsides: You have to pay for shipping, but in a lot of instances, you can still get very good deals, and not all states allow it. Youneed to make certain you live in a state that allows you to have wine shipped to you. Any reputable outlet has a list, and in many cases those lists are changing because there is considerable litigation challenging states that prohibit direct shipments. All that being said, here is a cite that has a useful list of retailers and some interesting wine discussions: http://communities.msn.com/BordeauxWineEnthusiasts

You have to register to post there, which is standard.

setab

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
C-T,

There are no cheap wines in Calgary. Got to be selective up here.

drive to BC and you will see that, by comparison, they are cheap in Calgary.

Fortunately, since I am a homebrewer, I plan to start making wine soon. It's much easier than making beer, and some of the homemade wine I've had is pretty darn good. Probably a matter of practice, like most things. I picked up 2 or 3 kits at the IGA. Don't know how it will turn out. I haven't used kits in years for beer (I am pretty much an all-grain brewer) but you gotta crawl before you walk....

DOG51 said:
Of the cheap ones mentioned, what will give me the quickest buzz? :-\

Everclear into an IV bag.

Fun website, Setab! (Not as fun as THIS board, of course!). I feel like such a neophyte - hadn't even HEARD of half the stuff they are talking about - and I thought I was semi-well versed. Sigh. But oh, what fun to learn!! (A bottle of this, 'n a bottle of that...) Thanks!

Beside Trader Joe's, another good place for wine bargains is Cost Plus World Market.  They have a good selection and domestic and international wines with weekly specials that usually include at least a couple of great values.

Anyone tried the "Three Thieves" wines, sold in a 1 liter glass jug or a tetrapak? Any good?

Back
Top Bottom