nm

Re: Costco Seems to save me at least $500 a year - Last 4 years compared.

We love to shop at Costco. The quality of the food is excellent.

Their private label brand, Kirkland, is less expensive and of superior quality. For example, the Kirkland tuna is truly white albacore tuna, not the lower quality that the other brands try to pass off as albacore tuna. I find that everything with the Kirkland label is excellent.

We have discovered great cheeses at Costco, like Dubliner (my absolute favorite!) In addition, the meats are tender and I never worry about serving them to company. They are that good! They have a lot of restaurant quality items as well.

We were Sam's members for a long time and there is no comparison. The lines at Sam's were long, the management didn't seem to care, and the quality was not like Costco. I believe when people are well-paid and treated with respect and a company has high standards, like Costco, it really shows.

One way to get a nice rebate if you buy electronics and other items, as well as food, at Costco is to get the Executive Membership. Once a year, that rebate check, in our case, covers the membership cost as well as enough extra to stock up on some good wines.

By the way, I believe Costco is the largest wine distributor (?) in the US and their prices and selection are excellent.

Costco is my favorite place to spend money. The quality is high and the prices are good. If you just want bare bones prices, it may not always be worth it. But, if you want high quality at a very good price, it can't be beat.

People always talk about everything being in bulk, but I don't find that to usually be a problem for me (married, no children). Most of the items are in individual containers so if I buy 24 cans of Tuna, they don't go bad. It's great for electronics, meat, tires, furniture as well as food. My only complaint is that I don't like most of the clothing. I love the mattress I got there. Very high quality, at a good price and if you buy from Costco.com they will deliver and set it up for you.

BarbaraAnne said:
We love to shop at Costco. The quality of the food is excellent.

Their private label brand, Kirkland, is less expensive and of superior quality. For example, the Kirkland tuna is truly white albacore tuna, not the lower quality that the other brands try to pass off as albacore tuna. I find that everything with the Kirkland label is excellent.

We have discovered great cheeses at Costco, like Dubliner (my absolute favorite!) In addition, the meats are tender and I never worry about serving them to company.

Totally agree on the Dubliner Cheese. - The best mild cheese for me also. I also bought bought Stilton Cheese for $6 a pound at Costco - Cost me $20 a pound before.

Cut-Throat said:
Totally agree on the Dubliner Cheese. - The best mild cheese for me also. I also bought bought Stilton Cheese for $6 a pound at Costco - Cost me $20 a pound before.

Hey if you like cheese, try this. If there is one thing my old Ag school can do, it's make some cheese. :)

http://msucheese.com/

I have both a Costco and a Sam's within about 5 miles of our house. The Sam's was there about 2 years before Costco so we became members at that time. When Costco came along we were offered a free one year membership, which was a perfect price, so we enrolled for a year.

After a year we dropped to Costco card as there was duplication with Sams and to be honest, I hate shopping anyway so having to fork over $50 just to get in the door irks me. I know, I know, Sams has a fee also, but I think it's less. Besides DW, who does the spending/shopping, seems to like Sams for some reason. I reevaluate Sam's each year and vote to drop it, but DW has two votes and we decide to keep it "another year."

We also have a military PX and a commisary (2 each) within about 15 miles and use them about once a month or so. No fee, my kind of place.

We find that Costco saves us money, but not as much as it has saved you, CT. Are you sure that your decrease in amount paid for food is not due in part to any changes in your buying habits?

But guys, guys, guys, you are missing them most important part of CostCo:

The Hairnet Brigade

In other words, the free samples. Go there around 11:30 on a Saturday for a great prelunch snack (although there are plenty of calories for a true lunch).

Last week was one of the best. Highlights include:

1. Full Aussie Bite
2. Mixed Nuts
3. Drinkable yogurt
4. Hot link
5. Raisin toast
6. Salmon
7. Pear
8. Sushi

And the topper: 9. Pumpkin Cheesecake!

True, there's a certain way that your stomache feels after this (I call it Costco Stomache), but that's momentary.

I have to admit that we sometimes go there just for the samples on our Saturday trip to town.

Al, My dad is the first one in the truck when my husband announces he's going to Sams. He figures he eats enough samples to cover the membership fee.

TromboneAl said:
I have to admit that we sometimes go there just for the samples on our Saturday trip to town.

Oh - I forgot about the free samples - I really like free !

So that changes the economics. If you go once a week and you and the spouse each get $2 worth of free samples. Then the free sample lunches would be worth just over $200 every year. So in that case the free samples would pay for the membership cost - and then some.

Now if you were to go on each of Friday Afternoon, Saturday at noon and Sunday at noon or ask for double samples or get in each line twice or more, Well that's a whole nuther' ball game.

I have always wanted to fill up on "Full Aussie Bites" ;)

TromboneAl said:
But guys, guys, guys, you are missing them most important part of CostCo:
The Hairnet Brigade
In other words, the free samples. Go there around 11:30 on a Saturday for a great prelunch snack (although there are plenty of calories for a true lunch).
My parents-in-law live a couple miles away from our local CostCo, and my FIL eats dinner/dessert samples there just about every night on their walk. I'm sure the staff know him as the "Oh, no, here he comes again..." guy.

I'm not sure that the walking calories expended exceed the free sample calories ingested, but it works for him.

One word: Diapers. That's all I have to buy at Costco to more than cover the fee. Everything else is gravy.

Costco gift card--no membership required

If you are an occasional Costco shopper and don't want to spring for the annual membership fee, get a friend who is a member buy you a gift card (and reimburse them for it). Costco will allow you free entry to use the gift card.

Re: Costco gift card--no membership required

kaneohe said:
If you are an occasional Costco shopper and don't want to spring for the annual membership fee, get a friend who is a member buy you a gift card (and reimburse them for it). Costco will allow you free entry to use the gift card.

This trick works at sam's club too. You can buy a gift card at walmart, then use it to pay at sam's club. You just have to pay the extra 10% fee for being a non-member. Works to your benefit if you buy less than $300/yr. Plus, you can get 5% cash back on purchases at walmart with the right kind of credit card (Chase Rewards something-or-other - 5% cashback at grocery stores).

Why do Sam's/Costco charge the $30-50 annual membership fees? I know it is pure profit, but do they figure they make more money off of the membership fee than they do off of the increase in sales if it was open to the public?

mickeyd said:
LOL :D Pampers or Depends? :confused:

Kirkland.

brewer12345 said:
Kirkland.

What do they cost? Just curious if I can save $$ over walmart's parent's choice brand at $10 per "super mega" pack (60 size 5's or 80 size 3's)?

justin said:
What do they cost? Just curious if I can save $$ over walmart's parent's choice brand at $10 per "super mega" pack (60 size 5's or 80 size 3's)?

Near me, I get 140 (?) size 3s for $28. But I live in a very expensive area, so you might do better wherever you are.

Hi,

We just joined Costco. You have to try the Maine Lobster Spread. $7.99 fo a decent sized tub. Great with Keebler Club Crackers. We are addicted....

Thanks for the explanation on Kirkland. Tried only one item and it was good so we'' give them a shot..

W

justin said:
I'm probably similar to you in terms of what I buy (mostly generics if available). I have a family, but most of the perishable stuff at Sam's club still comes in quantities too large for our consumption patterns (5 lb bags of apples, 10 lb valupaks of ground beef, 3 lb bag of tortilla chips, 2 lb bags of shredded cheese, 2 1.5 lb loafs of french bread, etc). And I like to shop for everything in one place, instead of going store to store to save a few bucks.

I love the big packs of cheese and ground beef -- they can be portioned out into "meal-size" portions and then frozen. It may be a little more work on the shopping day, but I have fewer shopping days overall. (It's just me and DH, btw.) Though I rarely buy perishables at Costco -- only if I'm planning a dinner party.

As always, "it depends on your situation."

brewer12345 said:
Near me, I get 140 (?) size 3s for $28. But I live in a very expensive area, so you might do better wherever you are.

I might have to check out the local costco's. We were motivated to check out Sam's after the first one was born, but found a lack of store brand diapers, wipes and formula. The store brand walmart stuff was a good bit cheaper than the name brand Pampers or Enfamil by 20-30% at least, hence we kept shopping at the walmart. I didn't realize costco had a good selection of store brand stuff!

One of the thing that I do not like about Costco is that they are always try to sell you the more expensive membership that offers higher discounts and rebates.

peggy said:
I love the big packs of cheese and ground beef -- they can be portioned out into "meal-size" portions and then frozen. It may be a little more work on the shopping day, but I have fewer shopping days overall. (It's just me and DH, btw.) Though I rarely buy perishables at Costco -- only if I'm planning a dinner party.

We used to do this with the sales at the regular grocery store. Our problem is "inventory management". We'd buy 15 lbs of x meat, keep 2 lbs in the fridge for immediate consumption, then freeze 13 lbs. A month later, and 5 lbs into our 13 pounds of frozen x meat, DW and I would get tired of it and decide to take a break. 3 months later we would still have 4-5 pounds of freezer burnt meat that never got eaten. Now we are down to "just in time" shopping around 1x per week. Maybe 1-2 lb of italian sausage or 1-2 lb of fresh/frozen salmon or shrimp or 1-2 lb of ground beef/pork/turkey.

Costco fosters a reputation as the Ben and Jerry's of retail. They treat their employees well and their customers well. When they buy TVs, refrigerators, et al, they look for a high quality item that they can purchase at a relative bargain (generally not the cutting-edge top tier but definitely a high quality second tier). I bought a 42" plasma HD TV at Costco a couple of years ago and got a price well below any I could find elsewhere. The also guaranteed the thing for LIFE 8). I checked that a couple of times since I couldn't believe it. I guess they figure we will be into some new type of TV and upgrade on our own before this one fails.

I think their produce, meats, cheeses, and fish are top rate. I load up on pork chops and steaks and freeze them for future use. The also have a good selection of frozen food (chicken breasts, fish fillets, shrimp, etc) that are very good values.

Kirkland's - their house brand - tends to be high quality as well. I think they look for the same upper tier 2 deal on Kirkland's items as well. I recently read a rave review of their new Kirkland's Signature wines (available only online). These are very high end products produced by top tier vineyards - and you pay for them. But the review said that you pay about 60-75% of what you would have to pay for the equivalent wine elsewhere.

My nearest Costco is quite a distance, but it is on a route I take to visit family. As a result this household maxs the grocery sales nearby and purchase quality staples at Costco.

There is no convenient Sam's Club, and patronize Walmart only if no other options are available because I don't like their employment practices. In the couple times I have been in the store I found the quality not as good as Costco or Target.

After having been a Costco member for many years my nephew was hired in their tire shop. He has been treated very well and has received very good training.

HR was my former profession. I can see a difference in the attitude and customer service between retail employers who treat their employees well, and those that don't.

[BTW there is a Costco store manager who frequents the board (not in my nephew’s management chain). He is a great guy, and looking forward to retirement. The life of a manager in retail isn't easy, even at Costco. If he is lurking on this thread, I would like to complement you and your peers for a job well done.]

I'll have to say the quality of service at the local sam's club is piss-poor. I never complain about anything (what good would it do? I figure). Except I did complain to Sam's management the one time I was cussed out on the phone for no reason. I wouldn't put up with their BS if the pizza wasn't so good and cheap.

This weekend I'll have to try costco pizza (if I can buy it w/o a $50 membership).

They don't card you at the food service beyond the cash registers.

Back
Top Bottom