nm

Re: Costco Seems to save me at least $500 a year - Last 4 years compared.

Don't say that too loudly... :p

I typically shop in a process, stage by stage. 1st I go to COSTCO, and buy meat, cheese, eggs, and the everyday vegetables on my list. Then I go by Sams Club, and I do well there in a few categories, mostly dry goods, canned goods and they typically have a decent drug store. My last stop is Trader Joes for wine and beer. I have enjoyed the house brands at TJ's. I figure you are better off making this circuit and cherry picking these three outfits. They each have 'category killers' in their respective areas of product specialty, and I end up doing well within the budget.

Half elf said:
I found I get better deals on base and I already am paying my dues for the priveleges I get.

Well, COSTCO and Sam's Club are for us folks that don't hold a military ID......... ;)

I went to a PX with a buddy of mine once..........the deals were staggering......... ;)

FinanceDude said:

I went to a PX with a buddy of mine once..........the deals were staggering......... ;)

Those folks earn them.

Brat said:
Those folks earn them.
The survivors and their families who actually get to use them, anyway...

FinanceDude said:
Well, COSTCO and Sam's Club are for us folks that don't hold a military ID......... ;)
I'm not complaining but I'd like to offer a different opinion because we're still pretty aggressive price-comparison shoppers. This particular military benefit has been steadily declining and has largely disappeared in low-cost areas.

Even 20 years ago I could buy Florida groceries more cheaply at Piggly-Wiggly than at the military commissary. Loss leaders frequently priced below the exchanges, even after including sales tax. Today in Hawaii Costco prices their gasoline at (or a penny/gallon below) the military gas price. Wal-Mart frequently costs less for some items, again even including sales (excise) tax. Both Costco & Sam's are notorious for loss-leaders (milk, fruit, meat) that beat the commissary prices. The commissary pricing is "cost plus 5%" while I'm sure that the big boxes work with lower price margins (and don't pay their employees anywhere near as well).

There are still commissary/exchange bargains. However globalization & mass production have steadily chipped away at them, and most of the "We save you 20% every day!!" advertising hype is based on full retail without the bulk purchases or membership cards.

But comparing the differences between civilian & military retail outlets misses the real point. Hawaii's deals at food co-ops & farmer's markets have consistently beaten everyone (so does growing your own). Thrift stores beat all the retail outlets. The challenges are finding reliable long-term vendors, a good selection, and being limited to only in-season produce.

One thing I heard about Costco that makes me like it: no item is marked up more than 14% from their price (and electronics are much lower). Whenever I feel like grabbing something in there, I know it isn't one of these 300% mark-up impulse buy things -- in other words, I won't get ripped off. I still have to make sure I need the thing and can afford it, but at least I know it is worth what I'll pay for it.

That comes from Costco being a buying club-- sort of like a co-op. It's a bit like the way Vanguard is organized. Gee, does that make me against capitalism? Am I starting to sound like a commie? :eek:

Credit unions are like this, too -- a whole sub-category of capitalism that is trying to look out for its customers and employees as much as shareholders... and generally doing well for everybody as a result. Hmm....

Also C-T -- are you an executive member? You might come out ahead with their 2% rebate even though that level of membership is now up over $100.

Costco pi$$es me off. Sometimes, actually too often, their gas prices are not the lowest in the area ... and... they don't cut the fat off their steaks. So, while the price per pound is lowest, you're buying too much fat around the edges.
I do like their ice cream sandwich, dipped in chocolate and covered with pecans.
Wife keeps paying the outrageous fee every year to re-join.
anyone bought jewelry there? Is it a good deal ?

Brat said:
Those folks earn them.

I agree........did you get the idea I thought they didn't deserve them, because that is NOT the case........... :)

FinanceDude said:
I agree........did you get the idea I thought they didn't deserve them, because that is NOT the case........... :)
No, it was just my way of expressing appreciation.

bennevis said:
Costco pi$$es me off. Sometimes, actually too often, their gas prices are not the lowest in the area ... and... they don't cut the fat off their steaks. So, while the price per pound is lowest, you're buying too much fat around the edges.
I do like their ice cream sandwich, dipped in chocolate and covered with pecans.
Wife keeps paying the outrageous fee every year to re-join.
anyone bought jewelry there? Is it a good deal ?

Their gas prices are higher than ARCO, but my son and his wife who worked for ARCO (and liked the firm) won't buy their gas. DH and I buy ARCO gas and don't want the hassle of COSTCO gas. What ever floats your boat.

I don't often buy COSTCO steaks... my beam is broader than should be. However, I do buy their lean hamburger and flank steaks. Doesn't matter who'se meat it is I try to find the best value.

I am not a 'got rocks' kind of gal - am too cheap. Before COSTCO offered jewelery Fred Meyer's jewelry (a separate company) had been judged as offering the best value in quality jewelry.

Back
Top Bottom