Outsourcing - The problem that won't go away....

C-T,

Hot topic, esp. here in IBM country. Your link doesn't work for me. I get kicked to a subscription page.

Hot topic, esp. here in IBM country.

I hear you, Bum. While they're laying off 13K of our IBM colleagues in Europe and the Americas this quarter, they're hiring 14K in India.

Caroline

People in some countries can live quite comfortably on a fraction of what is needed here for a similar life style. Its not possible to compete under those circumstances.

Rather than looking into how to reduce the cost of living here, our politicians are trying to figure out how to make it more expensive to live over there. Interesting choice.

Instead of outsourcing, one company is moving part of its firmware development operation to Singapore because of its availability of software talents at lower costs.

Spanky said:
Instead of outsourcing, one company is moving part of its firmware development operation to Singapore because of its availability of software talents at lower costs.

How is that not outsourcing? :confused:

Outsourcing, by definition, is a process in which a company delegates some of its in-house operations/processes to a third party. Moving its operation to overseas for lower costs is not considered as outsourcing though the outcome (e.g., job loss) may be the same.

Spanky said:
Outsourcing, by definition, is a process in which a company delegates some of its in-house operations/processes to a third party. Moving its operation to overseas for lower costs is not considered as outsourcing though the outcome (e.g., job loss) may be the same.

Dictionary.com-

out·sourc·ing    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (outsôrsng, -sr-)
n.
The procuring of services or products, such as the parts used in manufacturing a motor vehicle, from an outside supplier or manufacturer in order to cut costs.

Webster (an ancestor of mine) agrees with you however-
Pronunciation: -"sOr-si[ng], -"sor-
Function: noun
: the practice of subcontracting manufacturing work to outside and especially foreign or nonunion companies

Regardless, you have to admit that cost is the driving factor 99% of the time.... for a US company moving ops to India, convenience in the local isn't it. Fortunately, SeaCode will fix all that for us.... ugh.... the whole idea pisses me off. The paradox of corporate thrift has just been ratcheted up to a whole new level.

Marshac said:
Fortunately, SeaCode will fix all that for us.... ugh.... the whole idea pisses me off. The paradox of corporate thrift has just been ratcheted up to a whole new level.

SeaCode...oh brother! Can you imagine the Top Ten reasons for NOT using SeaCode?

10. Engineers keep staring out the portholes.

Spanky said:

A rose by any other name ......... :-\

Back
Top Bottom