Part-time Jobs in Retirement in the IT field

G-Man

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been thinking about potential part-time jobs in retirement in the IT field that is not stressful and stimulates my mind. Just trying to prepare for retirement in the next 1 - 2 years.

Any recommendations I can start researching?

Thanks.

I have been thinking about potential part-time jobs in retirement in the IT field that is not stressful and stimulates my mind. Just trying to prepare for retirement in the next 1 - 2 years.

Thanks.

Drop hints and network with people you know. Update your LinkedIn profile to show that you are a consultant and specify your specific areas of expertise. Then sit back and field the responses from headhunters and HR departments. Worked for me without putting forth any serious effort.

When I was in IT I didn't know anyone with a PT job. Everyone was FT and worked well over 40 hours, including on call stuff, not even just in ops.

But contract work - coming in for a project to work FT for a few months - was quite common. Places ramp up and down all the time that way.

When I was in IT I didn't know anyone with a PT job. Everyone was FT and worked well over 40 hours, including on call stuff, not even just in ops.

But contract work - coming in for a project to work FT for a few months - was quite common. Places ramp up and down all the time that way.
Me, too. Never heard of part time work in IT. I don't think there is such a thing unless they retain you for some kind of emergency coverage, but once the clock starts ticking, it may not be so part time...

Me, too. Never heard of part time work in IT. I don't think there is such a thing unless they retain you for some kind of emergency coverage, but once the clock starts ticking, it may not be so part time...

Maybe I should look for something outside the IT field. I love home automation projects as well.

Maybe I should look for something outside the IT field. I love home automation projects as well.

I know someone who does pretty well as his own private geek squad. He advertises on our neighborhood facebook page and he goes to people's homes and helps them with whatever issues or training needs they have. He can setup backups, upgrade wifi routers, fix broken iPhones, teach someone how to use office software, etc. Your home automation consulting might work similarly.

At my former employer we had a part-time DBA and some part-time NOCC guys. We had to be staffed on site 24x7 to meet a government contract, so the part-timers got the night shifts and would sub in for day shifts when our regular people were on vacation. If you're qualified for that type of work, you might find something.

Perhaps look at small business consulting. I retired from corporate IT. Part time? Like less than 50 hours weekly?

When I retired, I did some part-time consulting work for a client. As mentioned, it is hard to do "part time" I/T work. In my case, it was helping on I/T architecture design, so that made it possible given the design due date.

Later, even that was more than I wanted to do in my old world - and I did not want to go back to full time I/T work (I was offered a job by the company I was doing consulting work for). Instead, I got a gig teaching (one class) as an adjunct computer science (programming) at a local college. That's nice because it is truly part time (but see below) and you are free to not teach summers, etc.

Having said that, I went from one class sections to two, to three, and then to full time temp, and then full time (now tenured). While the money is a LOT less than I made in the mega-corp world, it is a much more fun j*b. But watch out, it is easy to get sucked back in.

I'm thinking this is my last year. I am doing it (the OMY coming in the fall) due to a DB pension (small, but for the rest of my life). I still like teaching but also want to have more time to do the things I want (and not just summer's / between semesters off).

p.s. One of the things I've liked about teaching is that I've had the opportunity to teach a variety of things and it has been fun skill wise. (Even though I don't ever intend to use them in the corporate world).

Perhaps look at small business consulting. I retired from corporate IT. Part time? Like less than 50 hours weekly?

This.

I occasionally have to explain to my 20 year old w/a 30 or so hour per week job who complains that I am off during the summer and that w/teaching I still am not at school 40 hours/week: Hey, you have NO idea of the world I was in - 60+ hour weeks were normal.

I am a software engineer and I owned a home automation company for awhile… I’d love to do some part time stuff but I get sucked in too easily and would find myself working too much again I’m afraid… although if the stock market doesn’t improve by years end I might consider working again for awhile because SORR might be painful as I just retired right before the drop

IMHO (outside of Government), IT and stress-free don't go hand in hand.

Also, one's skills are outdated within few months. Constant keeping up with Joneses (tech kind).

Thanks.
If the part-time hourly rate is 1/3 what you're getting now, would that work for you?

A good use of your time now is to calculate the true value of your current job. For example, I did this for my wife who just retired. The salary rate at work was 1, but with her many years of accrued vacation, etc. the real rate was 1.25 to 1.33. This is important for her to know, so that as she considers an upcoming offer to self-employ part-time, she'll know whether the 2-3 days of aggravation is adequately compensated. In her case, like yours, there is valuable experience that is highly-sought after in certain situations.

I know from working as a computer and network "fixer" that my self-employed rate was 1.0. But companies doing similar work by contract were at 1.5 or higher. And here's the important information for you...they hired college kids for the field, and they were making 0.25.

Good luck with your retirement.

My DH did part time work for a couple of years as system support/system admin/help desk type work. I see a few part-time jobs posted near me for this type of work.

(Not sure what type of IT work you are looking for...)

Not that I am looking, but I do maintain my linkedin profile and every IT interest/offer I have received was for full time work. The closest to part time were 6 month contract work. But give it a shot. Also try indeed.com as was mentioned and specify part time.

One of my former co-workers went back to Megacorp for what he thought was a part-time gig... "scope creep" happened, and even though we was only working 3 days a week, he found it was getting to 10-15 hours on those days, due to him being a "nice guy" and wanting to help. After six months he "woke up" and quit.

Maybe consider teaching at a local community college.
We also have a retired guy who teaches IT at our local Catholic school part time, and assists the school with their equipment.

In retirement some may prefer a temporary gig for a week here and there. Those can happen. You can adjust your LinkedIn profile in some way for this.

Apparently, the world has an insatiable demand for SalesForce administrators. One can get certified for free on their training site, Trailhead, in a few months, and there are other training programs, too. I would imagine that some non profits or small companies might have a need for part time assistance, so one might Google around to see if that’s true.

Apparently, the world has an insatiable demand for SalesForce administrators. One can get certified for free on their training site, Trailhead, in a few months, and there are other training programs, too. I would imagine that some non profits or small companies might have a need for part time assistance, so one might Google around to see if that’s true.

I will explore the SalesForce Admin path.

There’s companies that you sign up with and they post jobs and what they pay and take a percentage. If no one takes the job you can counter with a higher price that you are willing to do it for. Many of the jobs are only a few hours and pay well to get someone to work for such a short time. I know someone that does this.

There’s companies that you sign up with and they post jobs and what they pay and take a percentage. If no one takes the job you can counter with a higher price that you are willing to do it for. Many of the jobs are only a few hours and pay well to get someone to work for such a short time. I know someone that does this.

Can you provide more detail or a link.

Does full time mean you always work 8 hours a day, five days a week? After 30 years of career in IT I can tell you for sure it is incorrect. It is always possible to find some job which may not pay top salary but allow you to keep work load low. You may be able to work 4 hours a day or even less if you are smart. And this is still a full time job, with all benefits and everything else aligned.

Also, we have some R&D projects funded under government grants which stipulate work split on contractors and employees - so as a small business its perfect to get skilled Part Time IT talent to use that portion of the budget well.

Personally, the problem with part time work -especially in a field like IT- is the brain doesn't shut off after the shift ends. The worries would be the same as a full time job.
Good luck on your search.

Back
Top Bottom