Part-time Jobs in Retirement in the IT field

I have been thinking about potential part-time jobs in retirement in the IT field that is not stressful and stimulates my mind. Just trying to prepare for retirement in the next 1 - 2 years.

I retired from 30 years of IT, and stress was the motivator in making the final decision. Even as a manager in my final years, it was all hands-on-deck 24/7/365 when something went sideways. With all things Internet, required uptime, compliance, security, and so on, the stress levels are exponentially higher than decades before. All that being said, after three years of retirement I wouldn't mind a parttime job, but it won't be in IT. :)

I retired from 30 years of IT, and stress was the motivator in making the final decision. Even as a manager in my final years, it was all hands-on-deck 24/7/365 when something went sideways. With all things Internet, required uptime, compliance, security, and so on, the stress levels are exponentially higher than decades before. All that being said, after three years of retirement I wouldn't mind a parttime job, but it won't be in IT. :)

Not retired yet, but 30 years in IT as well. I can relate to the fire drill when something goes sideways.

I'm open to non-IT related jobs as well.

Not retired yet, but 30 years in IT as well. I can relate to the fire drill when something goes sideways.

I'm open to non-IT related jobs as well.

I want to be the guy in Home Depot that drives the floor washing\squeegee machine. No one asking me questions - beep beep, out of the way please!

I can relate. I had no freedom unless I went camping and I was outside of cell/data range. (Yes, they did expect me to respond quickly during vacations, etc.) I don't know how I could live like that looking back. No wonder I called it quits early!!

Personally, the problem with part time work -especially in a field like IT- is the brain doesn't shut off after the shift ends. The worries would be the same as a full time job.
Good luck on your search.

I know 2 people that do it part time through this company and there’s no stress at all. They go to do a specific job and then leave. They never give it another thought.

If it is just for boredom/stimulation reasons, and not money, consider joining some open source projects, in areas you are interested in.

Having said that, that was my plan when I quit (was Software Engineer), but once I quit, I totally lost interest in coding and have other hobbies now.

I was a software developer for many years. Then went into management.

I'm thinking about getting recertified, maybe in AWS coding and put my name out there as a part time contractor.

Maybe I'll dust off my COBOL skills. HA! But those days of coding in Micro Focus COBOL were some of the most fun and rewarding of my career. Then I went into project management and IT management and all the fun stopped.

I did some software testing a while back - only worked part of the year - all web based software - found it on flexjobs.com

Check out the new build - log bugs - re-test- even with automation you still need some human testing. I quit after they wanted me to work more - I was very upfront with them in the beginning.

I did some software testing a while back - only worked part of the year - all web based software - found it on flexjobs.com

Check out the new build - log bugs - re-test- even with automation you still need some human testing. I quit after they wanted me to work more - I was very upfront with them in the beginning.

Can you PM me with more details. I think I would like this type of stress-free job in retirement.

Maybe I'll dust off my COBOL skills. HA! But those days of coding in Micro Focus COBOL were some of the most fun and rewarding of my career. Then I went into project management and IT management and all the fun stopped.

COBOL and FORTRAN skills are still valuable. LOT'S of folks still using COBOL (e.g. NY state DMV systems), as well as credit card companies and places like NASA were looking for FORTRAN skills.

Think of it this way - a lot of those with these skills have retired and/or died. :blush:

^^^^ Yeah, specialize in an obscure flavor of COBOL. You will be able to name your own price when one of these places has a big problem with their code.

^^^^ Yeah, specialize in an obscure flavor of COBOL. You will be able to name your own price when one of these places has a big problem with their code.

Yeah, but then you have to spend your time fixing 50 year old code that still refers to punch card columns. I am one of the weird people who likes finding and fixing bugs in other people's code (gives you interesting insight into how their minds worked), but that is a step too far for me.

After retirement in 2005, I did some part time IT work. My specialty was hardware, software, and networking support for home users and small businesses.

I was appalled at some of the poor working conditions I had to navigate in order to get my jobs done. Some equipment was located in the middle of junk, dust, rotten food, animal hairs (and other stuff). In some houses I nearly tripped over clutter just getting to the room where the equipment was located.

The worst scenario was when I was working a job and the husband and wife (on the brink of divorce) were holding a complete yelling and screaming session, standing right behind. They acted like I wasn’t even there. It was so awkward!

After a few of these experiences, I decided this wasn’t for me.

The only service calls to homes that made sense to me were for trips to the homes of small business owners who were already established clients.

Yep, had the experience of very dirty homes. And I had that divorce situation too! It must be that their are seven standard experiences and it is not worth chasing most of these. For me I always could get compensation that was justified. In only one case did I not get payment. That was on me for not recognizing that this friend of a friend was a dead-beat.

When I was in IT I didn't know anyone with a PT job. Everyone was FT and worked well over 40 hours, including on call stuff, not even just in ops.

But contract work - coming in for a project to work FT for a few months - was quite common. Places ramp up and down all the time that way.

I know nothing about the IT field but I have heard of quite a few people taking multiple IT work-from-home jobs and making several hundred grand a year. Don't know how that is possible if all IT jobs are well over 40 hours a week.

I know nothing about the IT field but I have heard of quite a few people taking multiple IT work-from-home jobs and making several hundred grand a year. Don't know how that is possible if all IT jobs are well over 40 hours a week.

Hot damn! Where do I sign up?! :LOL:

(In I.T. for 20 years)

Last edited:
The people that I know don’t go into homes but are hired to go into businesses. As a former social worker going into someone’s house is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Ugh! Dirt is the least of the problems.

Yes and this was exactly my point. Almost any full time IT job is easy to convert into part time if you prefer to call it this way.

I've been in IT full time for over 30 years working myself up to a top job with my own office (not a cubicle lol). I've actually considered offering to stay on part time instead of retiring completely. They don't normally do that, but with my skills, in this job market, I think they would do what it takes to make it happen. They're already willing to let me work from home on a regular schedule if I want, which I have done a couple times before.

$300K income for working PT sounds like an outlier. I wouldn't expect anything like that.

An attorney friend of mine works for a university -- last weekend he told me about students who have been caught paying $2K per class ( and up ) to have someone else pose as them and do all the required assignments, tests, etc.

Sounded like a great opportunity to learn new things, and do flexible online work from home ...its sorta IT work. But not a good fit if you want to keep a clean criminal record I guess....

Last edited:
I know someone who does pretty well as his own private geek squad. He advertises on our neighborhood facebook page and he goes to people's homes and helps them with whatever issues or training needs they have. He can setup backups, upgrade wifi routers, fix broken iPhones, teach someone how to use office software, etc. Your home automation consulting might work similarly.

I did some of this for a while for seniors but unfortunately I couldn't stomach charging seniors. They all need help always but I just can't. Good luck to anyone that can. My mom is 91....

I have been thinking about potential part-time jobs in retirement in the IT field that is not stressful and stimulates my mind. Just trying to prepare for retirement in the next 1 - 2 years.

Any recommendations I can start researching?

Thanks.

What's your area of IT? The world has changed since many of the commenters on this thread were in the IT. There are certainly part time and contract work which are less than full time (if you are in the right part of IT for that). We'll see what the recession does to this. Companies in tech are more adaptable than a lot of other types of companies. A couple of quarters is usually all it takes to begin changing policies.

At any rate, my area is Cybersecurity. I have noticed that there are gigs for "part-time CISO's." I don't think I'll need/want to do that but if I do, I'd definitely head that route. Obviously, these are smaller companies that can't afford their own full-time CISO or mistakenly believe they "don't need no stinkin' CISO"....lol. There are companies that manage the sales, contract, and administrivia of this deal and you just do the work. May or may not be a 1099 type deal depending on the company.

Back
Top Bottom