Physical Gold or Silver Thoughts

People should look at gold and silver as insurance vs. anything else unless you just like collecting. They will always hold a value and be tradeable. This talk about you can't eat precious metals is nonsense.
Ask a person in Venezuela or other such country if for example they would have liked to have $10,000 worth of silver on hand when their runaway inflation occurred and practically overnight they had no money for food. You cant eat worthless paper either... This can happen to any country so don't kid yourself.

If inflation creates a problem for buying food and you have gold or silver to buy food from me who has saved food instead of gold then we might strike a deal. But you aren't going to like my terms as you become increasingly hungry. :D

Cheers!

In my view is gold/silver isn't for buying a ham sandwich during shtf. I see it as a conduit into whatever is being used for currency after the dust settles and the green shoots start to appear. Bullion is primarily for after the beans/bandages/bullets phase though refugees from WWII and SE Asia found it useful to get on the boat as things turned sour. I'm pretty sure it will work 50 miles south of here to get into Mexico.

When I purchased my house it was under $300,000 in the early 2000's, its now worth $1.3M. That is pretty scary too. :)
Agree, my fear is not "so much" of a total SHTF scenario, although it could happen, but that gold and silver could fall back in-line with inflation for the past 20 years. Then they "should be worth" in the $500 (gold) and $8 (silver) range. (inflation adjusted) Of course you could argue the same for equities, real estate, etc.

IMO, if the SHTF here in the US, guns and bullets would be as important as gold and silver. Maybe more so... Of course YMMV.

Last edited:
If inflation creates a problem for buying food and you have gold or silver to buy food from me who has saved food instead of gold then we might strike a deal. But you aren't going to like my terms as you become increasingly hungry. :D

Cheers!
Lol but you might need gas or medicine and hope the person trading that to you using the gold or silver i gave you, does not think the same way...

Agree, my fear is not "so much" of a total SHTF scenario, although it could happen, but that gold and silver could fall back in-line with inflation for the past 20 years. Then they "should be worth" in the $500 (gold) and $8 (silver) range. (inflation adjusted) Of course you could argue the same for equities, real estate, etc.

IMO, if the SHTF here in the US, guns and bullets would be as important as gold and silver. Maybe more so... Of course YMMV.
I would imagine someone who stacks metals would also stack some of the items concurrently because it would be in line with having a little preparedness personality. I met someone the other day that was a refugee from a country oversees that stocks two years worth of food because of her prior obviously traumatic experience.

I keep some

I have some solid gold and silver. By current values - I reckon it's 2 months living expenses.

And for the life of me I don't know why.

If things go to hell - - do I take a gold bar I paid $1000 for to the grocery store to buy food - - and if so for how long would that food last? I just dont understand.

Mind you I understand crypto even less.

I frankly feel more security in my rental homes than I do in gold. If paper assets and currency go to zero.... eventually they'll be a new currency be it dollars, marbles, shark's teeth, etc. The houses I can live in, and eventually - collect the new currency as rent?

I continue to see Au/Ag as long/short term currency insurance policies. The price you pay is the current interest rate. The risk you protect is monetary destruction rate.

If you have low expenses, you don't need much insurance, anymore than a 1k car gets insured. If you over insure and buy more than you need, you lose.

I use both as anchors, but they require active allocation. Sell the anchor once the monetary storm passes and safe sailing on investing seas returns. Buy the anchor when clouds build too high.

I see some of the prices and they are premium.
One thing to keep in mind as a prospective eBay seller of slower moving coins is that it's likely you probably won't get the prices you're routinely seeing, even if you limit your research to sold listings. EBay is crowded with coin sellers, and they're pretty sly; they do shill transactions that appear in the completed auctions. If you create a low starting price auction, be prepared to get a much lower price than what you're seeing in completed auctions.

... Sell the anchor once the monetary storm passes and safe sailing on investing seas returns. Buy the anchor when clouds build too high.
Please tell us when these things happen. But don't tell anyone else!

I would imagine someone who stacks metals would also stack some of the items concurrently because it would be in line with having a little preparedness personality. I met someone the other day that was a refugee from a country oversees that stocks two years worth of food because of her prior obviously traumatic experience.

Yepper.
That is why I mentioned in an early post that it is important to "diversify" investments in terms of these potential situations. Food, water, shelter, protection, medicine, garden, ...

One of the reasons to have PM's is to buy food and other things that have (hypothetically) gotten wildly expensive. So have a couple years of that stuff *now* when prices are "reasonable" is not a bad plan.

Just a few days ago I was reading a newspaper article in my old hometown about an 82 year old guy who reported 25 gold coins worth $100,000 missing from his house. Either he or the paper called it "theft".

And just today there is an update that a 49 year old man who knew the guy and had access to his house was arrested after trying to pawn some of the coins at a local pawn shop.

If you keep gold or silver in your house, keep it safely locked and hidden away and don't tell anyone you have it. And then there's the challenge of someone finding it after you die. The next homeowner or a worker might have a nice surprise when they find your safe hidden under insulation in the attic or some other type of hiding place.

Just a few days ago I was reading a newspaper article in my old hometown about an 82 year old guy who reported 25 gold coins worth $100,000 missing from his house. Either he or the paper called it "theft".

And just today there is an update that a 49 year old man who knew the guy and had access to his house was arrested after trying to pawn some of the coins at a local pawn shop.
I had to think about this for a few seconds.... 25 raw gold coins (if 1oz AGE's) are only worth ~50k today and are basically untraceable. So hard to prove he stole them. So I'm guessing these were older collectable gold coins (pre 1930's)" and "probably" certified. (Certified coins have serial #'s and are traceable.) If so, this guy was not only a thief but very stupid.

Last edited:
Collectibles can be worth a pretty penny...grandmother gave me a couple of circulated numismatic gold coins both in an envelope together.

I sent both out to be graded via my local coin shop.

One was just worth the bullion content, the other came back slabbed & graded high enough to be worth several thousand bucks.

I will always wonder if the latter would have graded even higher if it hadn't been clanking against that other coin for the last several decades, :(

Collectibles can be worth a pretty penny...grandmother gave me a couple of circulated numismatic gold coins both in an envelope together.

I sent both out to be graded via my local coin shop.

One was just worth the bullion content, the other came back slabbed & graded high enough to be worth several thousand bucks.

I will always wonder if the latter would have graded even higher if it hadn't been clanking against that other coin for the last several decades, :(
Yes

And then we have the wise people who polish coins. :facepalm:

^^^^^

Polishing and/or cleaning a coin is one of the quickest ways to devalue it, a lot.

Last edited:
A whole 'nuther twist:
There is a gold ETF (Van Eck OUNZ) that has an option to take physical delivery of gold. "Taking delivery of gold is not a taxable event as investors merely take possession of what they already own: the gold." 0.010oz/share. 3000 shares = 30 oz (minus overhead). Price goes up, it's still redeemable as 30oz. Price goes down, still 30oz. Or sell your shares if you don't want physical delivery.
I'm not recommending it.
I've never redeemed any.
But it is a unique way to get gold exposure in for example a Roth.
As the gold purists (and bitcoiners) say, "If you don't hold it, you don't own it".

And then we have the wise people who polish coins. :facepalm:

Yeah, I don't buy circulated silver coins anymore because most of it has been heavily "cleaned" via polishing off all the relief.

Any of the above still in good shape commands such a premium one might just as well buy new, 1 troy ounce silver American Eagles.

Yeah, I don't buy circulated silver coins anymore because most of it has been heavily "cleaned" via polishing off all the relief.

Any of the above still in good shape commands such a premium one might just as well buy new, 1 troy ounce silver American Eagles.

I'm drawn to the the newer Canadian Maple Leafs... they added some security features to slow the counterfeits.

I'm drawn to the the newer Canadian Maple Leafs... they added some security features to slow the counterfeits.
They are the best looking gold coins minted in the world, IMO. The problem is, they are 24k gold and can be scratched/marred very easily. Most other world gold coins are 22k and much more durable. Of course not many people are going to be handling them much anyway, but still. Just handle them with extra care.

Last edited:
Gold and Silver, not a fan with rates over 5%. Dead money.

Back
Top Bottom