Join Early Retirement Today

Pleasant Credit Card Experience
Old 07-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pleasant Credit Card Experience

I thought I would share this as I thought it was quite a good experience with a credit card company.

History:

I have very few credit cards <6 and was looking to trim the expensive one from the heard.

Basically I have (soon to be had) a United Explorer Card from Chase (To maintain some 600k of United miles accumulated while w$#r#$&g), as well as a Chase Sapphire (Used for Standing monthly Automatic Payments). My AMEX Cashback is our main CC we use everywhere. Well United as of August last year (2019) has no expiry date anymore on their Mileage Plus Accounts. So paying $95 per year for the card seems unnecessary. However it does (did) have a VERY High credit limit and no international Transaction Fees. So I called them today to see if I could get an increase to the Sapphire and explained my intention was to cancel the other but did not want to loose the high credit limits. We have another card that offers no International Transaction Fees.

This is the good part: In a manner of minutes the representative transferred the whole credit limit from my Explorer Visa to my Sapphire Visa ADDING it to the existing credit limit. So now the Sapphire has a far greater limit. Being I have been known to buy cars and pay off short term loans and mortgages (Not Recently) with a credit card, having a high limit means a lot to me.

So I have $7.92 cents to pay off my explorer card scheduled to be done tomorrow, as I very rarely use it, and it is coming due to pay the annual $95 fee next month, this worked out great.

So no more high fee credit cards for us. Costco notwithstanding, but that is an annual membership so it is OK.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Update: All went well, CC now confirmed closed and final payment confirmed. Very pleased with Chase customer service and all the folks that helped.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was browsing my B of A CC account last night & I see a charge for a flea bag hotel (no offense Days Inn) If you are going to hack a CC wouldn't you stay at a Marriot/Hilton? I digress..I start looking at some other pending charges and the is 2 charges to Weight watchers for about $1500. ruh roh George

I could not dispute them yet because they were only pending. So first thing this am I open it up again & B of A has locked the account. Bunch of gun parts, Weight watchers and a few others. I call and get put on hold. Do you really think B of A is experiencing high call volumes on Sunday morning before 8:00 am? Then Margarita answers. Margarita? Let me check is it still Saturday night? Anyway she went through a list of charges I confirmed or denied. She (well B of A) is sending a new card 5-6 business days. I thought about overnighting them but my address is not in the same town as my mailing address. So that could have mucked it up.

I'm on my back up card Capital One. I think I might get a Costco Visa for my recurring transactions
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well that sux scrapr, i have text notifications on my two cards, a spending limit exceeded, card not present e.g. ON LINE orders.....
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I check my BOA cc charges every day looking for fraud, plus some notifications. Fairly pleased with them.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:04 AM   #6

Where/how have you been able to buy a car with a credit card? The limit on my CCs is high enough but have never had a car seller or dealer willing to accept more than a token amount (maybe 1-3K) on one.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Where/how have you been able to buy a car with a credit card? The limit on my CCs is high enough but have never had a car seller or dealer willing to accept more than a token amount (maybe 1-3K) on one.
I leased an Audi S4 in California many years ago. The pre-paid lease at the time was about $18k, I negotiated, and based the deal on a CC payment for the whole amount. More Recently, I did the Same with a $8k CC down payment on a Lease. (I do not buy cars outright anymore)

But yes you are correct, a lot of dealers only allow ~$5k max, but on more up market cars they are willing to deal. In the end it just equals a discount on the car. It did happen to me once, but I just went to a dealer that would accept the CC Payment.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I leased an Audi S4 in California many years ago. The pre-paid lease at the time was about $18k, I negotiated, and based the deal on a CC payment for the whole amount. More Recently, I did the Same with a $8k CC down payment on a Lease. (I do not buy cars outright anymore)

But yes you are correct, a lot of dealers only allow ~$5k max, but on more up market cars they are willing to deal. In the end it just equals a discount on the car. It did happen to me once, but I just went to a dealer that would accept the CC Payment.
I can see a dealer doing it as part of the negotiation up front -- like you said, they're just building their CC processing fee into the discount. I always negotiate price based on dealer cost plus a fixed profit amount, so introducing the CC after that would meant their CC fee would more or less zero out their profit.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
Well that sux scrapr, i have text notifications on my two cards, a spending limit exceeded, card not present e.g. ON LINE orders.....
yeah, I think I'm going to do that. Was out with a friend for dinner & as soon as we paid her phone dinged. Thanks for the reminder
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #10

The OP good news ...

I have noticed over the years that CC companies are happy to swizzle the limits between cards that they've issued. One time I needed just a bit more credit on a new card to buy some big travel purchase (to get the signup bonus), and they were reluctant to grant even a couple of hundred more credit, but happily moved credit from another, older card.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote