Poll:How much do you spend on Wine, Beer & Liquor on Average?

What is your monthly average Wine, Beer & Liquor Budget?

• $0 - We do not drink & we do not offer alcohol to friends.

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • Less than $50

Votes: 61 21.6%
  • $50 - $100

Votes: 70 24.8%
  • $100 - 200

Votes: 51 18.1%
  • $200 - $300

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Over $300

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters
Our travels lead us to wine. When we were in France or Italy or California how can pass up something that is part of the heritage and they do so well.
So to relive those travels we seek wines we remember from those trips.
Soooooo, we drop on average about $300-$400 a month. Average bottle is about $30. We don’t consume all of it. Some goes into the cellar, some given away, but it adds up. It’s our vice. We own it.

Last edited:
Interesting, this got me curious. I went back to last year's CC spending statement, and checked the charges for the county liquor stores: just over $2500. That doesn't include beer or restaurant/bar drinks, but we tend to get takeout at least 9/10 times. Beer, I probably spend $400-500 a year at least, but it should still fall in the $200-300/month range.

Never keep up with it but it's a not an insignificant part of our budget!

+1. We’re very similar. But, I would word it as: “Not gonna keep up with it, but it is a significant part of our budget!”

Alcohol? Yeah some of that. Be glad you didn't ask about cannabis.

I used to drink but starting in my early 50s or so, a couple of drinks would give me a headache the next day or even cause a hangover. Then a few years ago, I found that I slept better if I drank nothing at all so now rarely drink. I'll probably have a drink tomorrow as I'm going to my neighbor's house for Easter dinner and they are wine connoisseurs.

I spend $50 - $100 on beers & wine mostly. I also get a dozen bottles of wine free every year. They are about $600 total in retail. If I add them into our budget, I'd be in $101+ club.

" ... this vice" ?!!??

+1

I don't drink - an acquired taste that I never really acquired though i do like umbrella drinks but moreso without the alcohol. From a health perspective, it would be nice to enjoy a glass of wine now and then but I don't. DW drinks a bit of wine and the occasional beer but we never actually buy any unless people are coming over and we seem to get gifted enough wine to make buying it unnecessary most of the time.

Since I've been tracking spending pretty accurately for the past few years I can answer this.
Previously, questions like this bugged me, as I could only guess, which is what made me decide to track it.
I directly track booze costs, as I always just guessed at a number, turns out it's lower than I thought.
2018: $29.15 / month.
2017: $35.49 / month.

However, if we are traveling, I count all expenses when traveling as travel

I was having about a bottle of inexpensive wine per week. I don't drink much while out, because it is so much more expensive. I have recently read about the cancer risk from alcohol, and will likely cut back.

About $100-$200 a month. We tend to have a few meals a week with a bottle. Each bottle will run in the $15-$20 range, although we've found a few good/decent everyday ones for $12 or so...$50 for a special occasion.

I don't spend enough.

I have a habit that I can't break, I buy whatever beer is on sale. If nothing is on sale I get a 30 pack of Hamms for about $14.99.

I made a vow in 2019 that I will buy good, name brand beer but I just can't help myself. Got a 12 pack of Busch Light in the fridge now (that's what was on sale last week).

I put down $50-$100 but if I have to include the pull tabs I buy when we go out on Friday nights it would be a tad higher. :angel:

After revisiting this, I realized this is a worthless poll. It doesn't take into consideration of the difference, for instance, between "Thunderbird" and "Dom Perignon." Well, maybe I am simply missing the purpose in asking.

After revisiting this, I realized this is a worthless poll. It doesn't take into consideration of the difference, for instance, between "Thunderbird" and "Dom Perignon." Well, maybe I am simply missing the purpose in asking.

I get your point- that spending a lot doesn't equate to drinking a lot- but the totals are still interesting. In my case, most of my spending is Costco scotch, with the occasional expensive trip to a winery or a distillery. I spent $250 on 3 bottles of whisky in Edinburgh last year.

I've cut back because of the health risks. I like my nightcap of scotch every evening but finally decided that 4 oz. is really two drinks, which is more than what's recommended for a 123-lb. woman. So now I stick with 2 oz. and I measure it. Bonus: I'm sleeping better. I'm more relaxed about it with family and on vacations, but those occasions don't happen that often.

If you drink Dom Perignon on a daily or regular basis, you are right, this poll is not aimed at you.

I was looking at my "bar" bill and we do not drink outside the home as we are dead set against drinking and driving. Yesterday we stocked up with some spirits Vodka, Gin, Irish Whiskey and Bourbon. We like a cocktail at "Beer O'clock" but rarely buy anything too expensive. We also have a wine cooler full of wine and like a bottle with our evening meal now and then. Those who drink outside the home will have larger expenditures. Also, no one implied it was a quantity thing, just roughly what one spends.

So the question was just curiosity. I think by the responses, it was a good poll.

Last edited:
Which is why the gods invented Uber.
Everyone of our neighbors uses it for dining.
The cost is low enough. Also, many households are moving to one car. The savings buy a lot of Uber rides.

I sometimes have one drink with dinner at a restaurant. Still will be much under the limit and truly feel zero effect.

Zero here. Never had any interest in drinking anything alcoholic.

I chose 300 because we have guests frequently and go out to eat twice a week and have alcohol with the meal. I hate cheap beer. If my husband has more than 2 drinks we Uber it home or walk depending on the weather.

So the question was just curiosity. I think by the responses, it was a good poll.

You are absolutely correct. "Worthless" was a extremely poor choice of words. Sometimes (most, actually) there is a disconnect between my mind and that filter that is supposed to control my fingers.

Most of the alcohol that I purchase is consumed when I have guests. With company, aperitif is nearly compulsory before a meal in France, and a meal is almost always served with wine. I do enjoy a glass of Scotch whisky every once in a while as well. So I do keep a well stocked bar and cellar. That being said, a lot of the wine I drink comes from my father's extensive cellar (he likes to gift wine). And people will often bring a bottle of liquor as a gift when they come to dinner. So I end up not spending much money at all (<$50 a month).

I don't drink alcohol at all.

DH's limit is one beer at a party on a holiday.

In the event of guests (which is very rare, due to working all most all the time) we would pick something up for them.

Back
Top Bottom