Poll: predict our economic future

How do you think the next 10-20 years will play out?

• Like the last 20 years, continued growth

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Like Japan, slow painful economic slide

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Like stagflation of the 70's

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Mostly sideways, like the last couple years

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • The Great Depression will look like a picnic

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Big, but fast correction

• Like the end of the Roman Empire

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Like the end of the dinosaurs

• Repent! The End is Near!

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
Said "sideways" because I think the secular bear we're in will take a long time to play out. Boomers selling out to fund retirments will keep the market flat ... and Federal deficits and consumer debt needs to be addressed some how.

wabmester said:
Well, don't forget that the 10% they talk about includes the almost-rich like many of the posters here.   And few of us can afford to live on a 2% dividend yield.

In any case, the boomer retirement scare isn't as much about equity liquidation as it is about a general economic slowdown.   And the stock market is really just a proxy for the economy.

That's why we need to open the floodgates and let all the immigrants we can in. We have got a Walmart economy now and plenty of $8 a hour jobs!

They say that it is the savings of foreigners that is used to buy US Govt. debt. High priced oil is bound to impact the growing economies of India, China, etc. If these developing countries start struggling to pay their energy bills, we will definitely see an impact on our economy.

I wonder if my doctor will take a five gallon can of gas to pay for my flu shot this year?

Back
Top Bottom