Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kook View Post
My job has pretty much been who I am for the past 30 years……..so I will need to venture out socially in our community.

Abundant ER Forum threads indicate that most work relationships don’t really withstand the change to post-career. Sooner or later, you’ll need new friends (we all do) so you have the opportunity to get a jump on things and dive into the next phase. You’ll certainly finally have more time for it!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 11:02 PM   #82
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes. It is a hard decision, but
your DW has to be fully on board, or else it will not work out.
I (and my DW) worked in the oil & gas industry. We realized the ups and downs and had vowed to work as long as possible (until normal retirement age), but that went out the window in the downturn of 2015-2016. So, we retired early (not really by choice)! The first few months were a little stressful, shifting from accumulation to consumption and getting the income stream set up to our satisfaction.
I would suggest reading retirement blogs and sketching out your plans before actually pulling the trigger. I had actually started my income stream process a year before my forced retirement. Once I was free of my job, I transferred my 401K to a self directed IRA and was able to further my income producing goals (dividend kings). My dividend income, just from my brokerage accounts now covers 100%+ of my yearly spending. The IRA accounts are icing!
sroby2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess its the psychological aspect of being an accumulator and transitioning to the spending phase . I love accumulating - everything from money, hotel points, credit card points to pocket change. I have jars and jars of change.

I can relate to that. We had a couple of small businesses prior to ER so there were always activities I could do to make more money. I still like my spreadsheets and improving our finances, but now I focus on trying to live better for less instead of earning more. The more self sufficient we can live, the lower our overhead, and the more money there is left over for savings or fun stuff.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have my resignation letter ready and my corporate BS bucket is completely overflowing, but I am just having a hard time giving it up.

There is so much that I want to do and I know that I will never be as healthy, active and young as I am now and time is flying by. Yet....here I am.

Is it me? I know the time is right but what if its not? There is just such a finality to it because I will never make the same money once I resign. Anyone else have/ had this problem?

Man, is it tough!
+1. You are not alone! I also had a mental impasse for a while and wrote a post very similar to yours a few months ago. The input from folks here was very helpful, if you want to search the thread.

I think you're spot on in recognizing the finality of it.... it is the end of a life chapter, and it's normal to grieve the endings in our lives. And our society tends to equate earning power with worth and it can be hard to dissociate them, especially for men. But your worth as a person on the planet really comes from other things than how much money you pull in. One thing that helped me was identifying alternatives to the good parts of my w*rk so that I could replicate them by other means. Instead of transferable skills, identify transferable satisfactions and how you could find them.

The highlighted part of your post is really key. FWIW, six weeks into ER I am feeling that even more and wishing I'd pulled the trigger a couple of years ago!
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

As an older friend of mine who's truly a well lived renaissance man said:

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

It made me reconsider a few choices that's for sure.
GTP2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgal View Post
+1. You are not alone! I also had a mental impasse for a while and wrote a post very similar to yours a few months ago. The input from folks here was very helpful, if you want to search the thread.

I think you're spot on in recognizing the finality of it.... it is the end of a life chapter, and it's normal to grieve the endings in our lives. And our society tends to equate earning power with worth and it can be hard to dissociate them, especially for men. But your worth as a person on the planet really comes from other things than how much money you pull in. One thing that helped me was identifying alternatives to the good parts of my w*rk so that I could replicate them by other means. Instead of transferable skills, identify transferable satisfactions and how you could find them.

The highlighted part of your post is really key. FWIW, six weeks into ER I am feeling that even more and wishing I'd pulled the trigger a couple of years ago!
My turn to highlight part of your own post. Anyone needing encouragement or just dithering on retiring needs to read your post and many others sharing the same sentiment. Everyone, almost wishes they had pulled the plug on work sooner. Only a very few find they’re drawn back to work, probably too young to retire.

I’m going next May, but I know that at 62 1/2 when I go, it should have been sooner. I guess the restrictions have made it easier to carry on for a short while and part-time working.
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

As obvious as it might be, the fact is that the longer you work, the shorter your retirement will be.
I went at 62 and should have retired at 60, as my father did.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #88
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm not there yet, but getting close. My biggest worry is that if something goes wrong financially that I won't be able to get another job. Ageism is real and after a certain age (varying by industry) it will be harder to go back, if needed.
patricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Most are/were in the same boat
Old 07-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Most are/were in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricel View Post
I'm not there yet, but getting close. My biggest worry is that if something goes wrong financially that I won't be able to get another job. Ageism is real and after a certain age (varying by industry) it will be harder to go back, if needed.
All of us that retired early or earlier than normal likely had the same thought. Just make sure you have a nice margin for error in your projected spend per year versus assets. I made sure I was nowhere close to the 4% that many utilize for a spend %; I was closer to 1.5-2%. And as your assets grow in retirement (and they will if you are well invested) that % will likely decrease if your spending doesn't ramp up a great deal. Bottom line is if you are comfortable with what you have banked, don't worry about it.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote