Pulling the Trigger is Tough!

After getting reenergized as the epidemic brought a new opportunity me, I have found myself the past few weeks sort of hoping that some type of office warfare might erupt over it and give me a chance to "Fine, I'm out of here." I think that's a sign, though I'm not sure that I could just drop it and quit without it being taken away from me. On the other hand, "I'll just keep doing this until the pandemic is over" doesn't have the sense of finality it used to ....

Congrats! Please hold the door open, some of us hope to be charging through behind you.

I just spent two weeks away from work really thinking this through and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time to take the leap.

I have a couple of major unresolved questions like “do I really want to stop working forever” and “ what if I decide I want a mortgage at some point” (I’m still a renter)? Basically “is quitting tantamount to shooting myself in the foot”?

But staying in a job that no longer enriches my soul for a paycheck I don’t need goes against why I chose to become FI in the first place. And it’s preventing me from seeing other possibilities since it preys on my attention for the better part of every week. I’m lucky because I’ve mostly enjoyed my career, but it’s time to shake things up now that I can afford to do it.

Am I scared? Yes. But as so many here attest time is greater than money and at 54 that time is getting shorter & shorter. I’d rather not be left holding the short straw.

I’ll be handing in my notice on Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Good luck tmitchell!!

Let us know how it goes. I’m right behind you.

I did it folks! Wasn't easy and had a long week of back & forth as they tried to change my mind, but notice is officially in and I'll be out of the job next month. My boss was pretty pissed off and didn't make it easy. The reason I gave was honest, that I'm ready for the next chapter. Maybe that was too vague and hard to process, I don't know. This is only the second job I've quit in my life, so I'm not a pro at this sort of thing and I genuinely like many of the people I work with, so I don't like like seeing them disappointed. But I'm also not an ego maniac and know that they will get on just fine once they accept the change. There's still much to do to sort through making a smooth transition, but the deed is done.

@kook I totally understand your reservations. There have definitely been a couple nights of insomnia as I thought about giving up the golden handcuffs, whether I'm really "ready", whether the math of FIRE is really going to work after this long bull run, etc, etc.

What I kept coming back to is that my heart just isn't in it anymore. My boss offered to increase my salary, negotiate different assignments, and basically whatever would make me happier. But during those sleepless nights as I ran potential scenarios I realized none of it felt inspiring anymore.

I'm not one to sit around and smell the roses (though maybe I'll learn!) and I've been quite driven for the bulk of my life. But what's the point of letting all that energy atrophy? I'm only 54 and have plenty I can achieve/do/enjoy otherwise. And I'm hanging onto a spot that some whipper snapper would probably love and enjoy, which means keeping it is preventing someone else from the opportunity. That just doesn't make sense.

Thanks to everyone here who's contributed to the conversation. I'm excited and a bit scared but I know I made the right decision. Let's see how it goes from here :)

Well done, tmitchell! This is the best decision you could have made. I’m excited for you in this next chapter. Hopefully I’ll be right behind you.

Congratulations! I hope to be right behind you. I'm planning to give my notice in the next month or so.

I have been saving, saving, saving and living below my means for over 25 years. Now, at 57 (almost 58), I have accumulated 43x current spending and 30x projected spending, which includes health care and increased spending. DW is also bringing in anywhere from 60-100K per year in her job and she has no intention of giving it up just yet. Social Security also awaits.

For the past several years I have dreamed of having "enough" and quitting my high stress, high paying job. I have done OMY twice now.

I guess its the psychological aspect of being an accumulator and transitioning to the spending phase . I love accumulating - everything from money, hotel points, credit card points to pocket change. I have jars and jars of change.

I have my resignation letter ready and my corporate BS bucket is completely overflowing, but I am just having a hard time giving it up.

There is so much that I want to do and I know that I will never be as healthy, active and young as I am now and time is flying by. Yet....here I am.

Is it me? I know the time is right but what if its not? There is just such a finality to it because I will never make the same money once I resign. Anyone else have/ had this problem?

Man, is it tough! :)

Just go already!!
I know it's scary, but most of the good/worthwhile things in life typically are.

Trust me, it's not so scary from the other side. In fact, its not scary at all!!
From over here you realize nothing is as black and white as you thought it was. You can always go back (but you probably wont want to), you can always start a side hustle and you can always make more money!

The one thing you cant do is make more time, so go enjoy the days you have while you have them!

From what I have seen around here, it is the rare exception when someone thinks it was a mistake and wishes they were still working, provided you have the savings/means when you quit.

What I kept coming back to is that my heart just isn't in it anymore. ... But during those sleepless nights as I ran potential scenarios I realized none of it felt inspiring anymore.

First off...Congratulations! Secondly, in reference to your quote above, I could not have put it in any better words as it frames exactly where I am at.

I was in a similar situation, it was 8 years ago and I just turned 56. I was managing a mega Corp aerospace facility with about 20 employees, I loved my job but it was to a point where I was no longer able to do a good job even with a 60 hours workday or 996 ie with all the management requirements, employees, environmental with the city etc. I’ve been saving a lot as well, my DW wasn’t ready to retire, in additional I would needed to be under her insurance coverage in order to make it work, I also had my letter written a year prior to the retirement, then a surprised development where mega Corp offered a buy out in 2013, I took the package and paid off the remaining of the mortgage. It was a little tight financially at first but it worked out in the end. I’m turning 65 this year and so happy that I pull the trigger then, one note of wisdom would be something you’ve already mentioned... you’ll never be as health, young, desire to do want you want.

I was in a similar situation, it was 8 years ago and I just turned 56. I was managing a mega Corp aerospace facility with about 20 employees, I loved my job but it was to a point where I was no longer able to do a good job even with a 60 hours workday or 996 ie with all the management requirements, employees, environmental with the city etc. I’ve been saving a lot as well, my DW wasn’t ready to retire, in additional I would needed to be under her insurance coverage in order to make it work, I also had my letter written a year prior to the retirement, then a surprised development where mega Corp offered a buy out in 2013, I took the package and paid off the remaining of the mortgage. It was a little tight financially at first but it worked out in the end. I’m turning 65 this year and so happy that I pull the trigger then, one note of wisdom would be something you’ve already mentioned... you’ll never be as health, young, desire to do want you want.

So, true!!! I didn't want to retire to a recliner and not have the energy to do all the outdoor activities I wanted to do. I see some they retire at 70 or late 60's and are tired and really don't do anything or can't do much. Maybe that is what they wanted thou.

I did it folks! Wasn't easy and had a long week of back & forth as they tried to change my mind, but notice is officially in and I'll be out of the job next month. My boss was pretty pissed off and didn't make it easy. The reason I gave was honest, that I'm ready for the next chapter. Maybe that was too vague and hard to process, I don't know. This is only the second job I've quit in my life, so I'm not a pro at this sort of thing and I genuinely like many of the people I work with, so I don't like like seeing them disappointed. But I'm also not an ego maniac and know that they will get on just fine once they accept the change. There's still much to do to sort through making a smooth transition, but the deed is done.

@kook I totally understand your reservations. There have definitely been a couple nights of insomnia as I thought about giving up the golden handcuffs, whether I'm really "ready", whether the math of FIRE is really going to work after this long bull run, etc, etc.

What I kept coming back to is that my heart just isn't in it anymore. My boss offered to increase my salary, negotiate different assignments, and basically whatever would make me happier. But during those sleepless nights as I ran potential scenarios I realized none of it felt inspiring anymore.

I'm not one to sit around and smell the roses (though maybe I'll learn!) and I've been quite driven for the bulk of my life. But what's the point of letting all that energy atrophy? I'm only 54 and have plenty I can achieve/do/enjoy otherwise. And I'm hanging onto a spot that some whipper snapper would probably love and enjoy, which means keeping it is preventing someone else from the opportunity. That just doesn't make sense.

Thanks to everyone here who's contributed to the conversation. I'm excited and a bit scared but I know I made the right decision. Let's see how it goes from here :)

That's awesome, tmitchell - High Five!

I can totally, totally relate to your post. In fact, I could have almost written it myself. Well....except the fact that I have not given my notice yet. :)

Just go already!!
I know it's scary, but most of the good/worthwhile things in life typically are.

Trust me, it's not so scary from the other side. In fact, its not scary at all!!
From over here you realize nothing is as black and white as you thought it was. You can always go back (but you probably wont want to), you can always start a side hustle and you can always make more money!

The one thing you cant do is make more time, so go enjoy the days you have while you have them!

Its funny; I was just talking to my wife about this very thing this morning and she asked me, "what are you waiting for, a heart attack?" (and I am a pretty healthy guy (so far) for almost 58)

It was like a little slap in the face.

I think I am ready. For reals this time.

I did it folks! Wasn't easy and had a long week of back & forth as they tried to change my mind, but notice is officially in and I'll be out of the job next month.

Congratulations tmitchell!

I myself retired when I was 54 when my three kids were then ages 7, 11, and 17. Never looked backed and never regretted my decision. If I had to do it over, I would not change a thing.

May your retirement future be among the best phases of your life. Enjoy!

I have been saving, saving, saving and living below my means for over 25 years. Now, at 57 (almost 58), I have accumulated 43x current spending and 30x projected spending, which includes health care and increased spending. DW is also bringing in anywhere from 60-100K per year in her job and she has no intention of giving it up just yet. Social Security also awaits....................

I have my resignation letter ready and my corporate BS bucket is completely overflowing, but I am just having a hard time giving it up...............

Kook, my advice is turn in that resignation letter. You are more than ready financially. Time waits for no man. Don't regret some wasted years still toiling with your "corporate BS bucket overflowing".

Turn in that letter, then start enjoying your retirement.

43X - 30X expenses + a working spouse .. just do it ... time to retire.

Thanks everyone! I’m just starting to feel excited about it. I start transitioning off my responsibilities today! Still have about a month but I’m starting to watch the “lasts”—last of this kind of meeting, last trip to, last conversation with. It’s awesome.

Once things start settling I’m going to start looking toward what’s next. I’ve already signed up for tennis lessons (have never done it!) as a completely different activity and to get myself moving.

I appreciate all the info and inspiration from the group here. I’ll keep you updated.

Thanks everyone! I’m just starting to feel excited about it. I start transitioning off my responsibilities today! Still have about a month but I’m starting to watch the “lasts”—last of this kind of meeting, last trip to, last conversation with. It’s awesome.

Once things start settling I’m going to start looking toward what’s next. I’ve already signed up for tennis lessons (have never done it!) as a completely different activity and to get myself moving.

I appreciate all the info and inspiration from the group here. I’ll keep you updated.

Congratulations! Retirement is the best thing since the tooth fairy, in my humble opinion! :dance:

Losing my identity has been one of my biggest concerns. My job has pretty much been who I am for the past 30 years....

I do have plenty of hobbies and woodworking is one of them, . Luckily, my wife is also my best friend so I have that but our local friends are few so I will need to venture out socially in our community.

Also my biggest concern... Nearly 36 years of being involved in the worst day of someone's life. It has left a huge impression on me. I stop and help folks when not on duty... Its who I am... that cant be just turned off... I'm lucky that they want me to come back PT... so I can make some extra while getting my adrenalin fix.
I have a group of close friends from our racing days that still gather from around the country, with about half of them retired over the last few years...

I did it folks! Wasn't easy and had a long week of back & forth as they tried to change my mind, but notice is officially in and I'll be out of the job next month.

Congratulations
Like I said in my thread ...
Its like parachuting....
Jump and enjoy

Kook, I could have written many of your words! I am also an accumulator.

My original retirement target was 2017 but for various personal (divorce) and professional (project I wanted to see through) it got pushed out.

After working from home for over a year and loving it I really started to look for a way to retire when my ccompany decided it was time for everyone to work in the office earlier this year. I found a way to make it happen now so was faced with a dilemma. One issue is tha my partner has a traditional pension and cannot retire for a couple more years. So if I retire now my travel and other plans would be limited for a couple of years. I have also taken on a new project that I want to follow through.

Is this OMY syndrome? Maybe.

But I've now set a date, the Friday before my 59th birthday, just over 2 years from now. I have repurposed my job until then as a means to "accumulating" several personal goals:
- achieving a professional certification that depends on my job (I know, no value in retirement but a nice personal accomplishment)
- achieving the highest tier lifetime elite status in a travel loyalty program (requires spending that I could still afford in retirement but my income will make it easier)
- achieving a million points in that program. (Done, just recently.) This will be enough to fund 2-3 years of travel in retirement.
- Doing some remodeling on my house
- Accumulating 10 years at my present employer (which leads to a valuable perk/recognition plus a few thousand extra bonus pay)

Knowing I can quit anytime might mean I make a rash decision if management does something stupid. But having a date written down has really made time fly since I did it this spring. I like my job. I just don't like having a job when my time could be my own!

Our road trip through California this summer, which was after picking my date, was also an influence. Seeing the horrible condition of the forests in California (this was mostly before the fires currently burning) and watching what is happening with the Colorado River has made me realize that time may be running out to see some of the things I want to see in the world. While I have always believed in climate change, I have never worried too much about it because I viewed it as something that would have impact long after I am dead. I know it is selfish but realizing some things I have on my bucket list might be gone forever in a few years has put renewed urgency on leaving work behind and getting out to see them.

Back
Top Bottom