Resignation counter offer

Seems to me unless your only motivating factor for exit was not enough money, staying around to take more crap for more money is a zero sum game.

It's only three months. I've had toothaches that have lasted longer than that and I wasn't even getting paid. Suck it up and ignore the jealous ones.

I think you've managed to create a sweet situation for yourself:

1) your boss(es) know you are fed up with the BS and are willing to walk, which gives you #2
2) a reduced work schedule that allows you to still work and stash cash (what you wanted to do) and perhaps the BS will be reduced because of your bosses' awareness of your BS threshold.
3) if the BS threshold continues to be exceeded, you've only committed three months, i.e., until the end of May or first week of June. Personally, April-June timeframe, to me, is the perfect time to retire...coming into the warmer months when you can spend a lot of time really enjoying yourself and decompressing.

Enjoy the three months, pad your cash stash a little more, and then decide what you want to do based on the situation at that time.

R

During those 3 months train your successor, that delivers a message.

Sounds like a great gig. You may even be able to extend it on your terms. I'm thinking 2 or 3 days after the initial 3 months.

Your reputation seems to be worth a great amount. If it were me, I'd try to expand this into consulting for other companies.

Start living off your retirement money and spend the money you make on this gig on something you don't need. Like a new car, a toy or a trip.

You are the only one who can answer the question of whether the additional money is worth [-]shortening the non-working time prior to your death[/-] delaying retirement by three months. :)

++ 1 (yes a double + 1)

look at it this way. if it does not work out or you change your mind
you can always quit again.

Better option than being stuck in a J$%.

Good luck

Seems to me unless your only motivating factor for exit was not enough money, staying around to take more crap for more money is a zero sum game.

My original plan (up until about a month ago) was to stick it out for another year and pad our buffer. That changed after I was given different responsibilities (primarily managing personnel in an awkward situation) and was working a lot at odd hours which disrupted seeing my family.

The new scenario will have me (at least theoretically) working fewer hours and working during normal business hours. In addition, my responsibilities will go back to what they originally were. When you add in the extra $, it felt like I just couldn't pass up the deal. I'm viewing this like I switched back to the original plan of padding our buffer at an accelerated rate for a few months.

If things go well and I enjoy the w*rk then I may consider continuing the deal a little longer, but I doubt I'd go much past this summer in any case. If things don't go well then I can simply head back to ER. It's good either way :)

During those 3 months train your successor, that delivers a message.

I already started training two people who will jointly take over most of my current duties. :dance:

That tells me management knows I'm serious and is willing to be flexible. I'm encouraged by everything so far. Who would have guessed that the threat of ER would improve life so much at w*rk? :D

If it were me, I'd try to expand this into consulting for other companies.

That was actually a secondary factor in my decision. I'm not planning to do consulting in retirement, but I want to have it as a backup plan in case of an emergency. It's my "Plan D" so hopefully things won't get so bad that I would ever need it...

My current gig is keeping me on good terms with my current employer and I think there are decent odds I could get them to take me back as a consultant in the future if I really needed the j*b for some unfathomable reason. It also opens the door to other companies too.

Congratulations on your FI.

The 3 months should be up quickly and you can then focus on ER.

I had a similar situation when I resigned in 2011, with a few minor differences, but turned it down - and I'm happy I did. No regrets then, no regrets now.

But be very careful to look after your health and avoid workplace accidents during those 3 months. It would be awful if something happened and messed up your very bright future in retirement.

That was actually a secondary factor in my decision. I'm not planning to do consulting in retirement, but I want to have it as a backup plan in case of an emergency. It's my "Plan D" so hopefully things won't get so bad that I would ever need it...

My current gig is keeping me on good terms with my current employer and I think there are decent odds I could get them to take me back as a consultant in the future if I really needed the j*b for some unfathomable reason. It also opens the door to other companies too.
Consulting is what's kept me sane while toiling in megacorp. It's not for everyone, and my unscientific analysis leads me to believe that most people here are against the concept. Every other week or so I spend a short day (maybe six hours) in a client's facility. When I walk through the door I feel as if I will accomplish something significant, and usually get to chat with the employees. It's mostly a very pleasant experience.

I can appreciate the thought of a plan 'B', as I use that terminology often. However, plan 'B' in my case is already in effect, and I nurture the relationship on a continuing basis. I am not sure that everyone can leave the game, and then jump right back in. To some extent you may have to keep the oars wet.

I was in a similar situation the last two years I worked. I had already reached FI but I was given a much better position, more money, flexibility, etc, so I decided to stay on for "OMY" (which became almost two more years). Looking back, overall I'm glad I did it but I do regret the loss of the two more years working that I could have been enjoying in retirement. So I guess the unexpected pitfall for me was that I fell into the OMY trap (twice)

I am right there too; still in the OMY trap. I have tried to resign several times over the last two years but keep being countered with yet another offer that I cannot refuse.

Upside is continued padding of my retirement account and collaborating with some very intelligent folks; downside is that I cannot help be get very wrapped up, emotionally invested, etc.

My original plan (up until about a month ago) was to stick it out for another year and pad our buffer. That changed after I was given different responsibilities (primarily managing personnel in an awkward situation) and was working a lot at odd hours which disrupted seeing my family.

The new scenario will have me (at least theoretically) working fewer hours and working during normal business hours. In addition, my responsibilities will go back to what they originally were. When you add in the extra $, it felt like I just couldn't pass up the deal. I'm viewing this like I switched back to the original plan of padding our buffer at an accelerated rate for a few months.

If things go well and I enjoy the w*rk then I may consider continuing the deal a little longer, but I doubt I'd go much past this summer in any case. If things don't go well then I can simply head back to ER. It's good either way :)

I see the points. Give us an update in a few months. Hope it works out well.

If you don't need the money, since you are nearly 50% more than you need, where do you stop and how do you determine? Is double what you need enough? 10 times? You get the point & you need to detemine when you are comfortable. 3 months is not a long time, but what happens after that? Would you always say yes to more work?

Last edited:
I am right there too; still in the OMY trap. I have tried to resign several times over the last two years but keep being countered with yet another offer that I cannot refuse.

Upside is continued padding of my retirement account and collaborating with some very intelligent folks; downside is that I cannot help be get very wrapped up, emotionally invested, etc.

I "wimped out" as well, and not for the money. We had a surprise buyout offer last year and my application was denied, probably partly my fault because I wasn't sure what I wanted at that time. I did figure it out, and after I was unable to convince my management to change their mind, I decided it wouldn't stop me so I resigned. They offered a transition deal which I accepted in order to do a proper handoff to my teammates. My managers and colleagues have been good to me over the years so I feel I owe it to them, and the terms suggested to me that they believe that this step is necessary.

For me, even if a follow-on is in the works, the only offer I'll contemplate at the end of this would be another buyout, in which case I would think (hope?) they have no basis to hold me back next time.

Same upsides, but I don't see getting emotionally wrapped up in work as a downside-- rather the opposite.

Thoughts? You have nothing to lose. You are firecalc certified 100% ready to RE. If they want to pay you very well to stay for a little while, do it; but always know that you decide if you want to stay or go.

Not missing work

Don't quite have the assets you have, but I am now a month into 'retirement' but still working part-time remotely. I am supposed to be working at least 20 hours, but I'm finding it difficult to manage that as doing nothing is taking up most of my time. I thought I would have a difficult time adjusting, instead, I'm having a difficult time 'holding' on to work. It is nice to have the luxury of adjustment, so take that, then see where you are at. Time flies when you don't miss work. I never thought there would be so much pleasure in going to bed when you want to and waking up whenever.

** What could possibly go wrong?**

If you absolutely hold their feet to the fire re non standard hours, and no BS, see how it goes. Make it clear: give me "BS" and I walk on the spot. Period.

Sounds like fate has handed you a very enviable position to be in - congrats!

I made myself a promise a few years after I entered the corporate world...as an employee, I would never accept a counter. And as a manager, I'd never extend one. I fully believe that any reason I, or an employee, had to leave in the first place isn't solved with a counter. In my own case, even if I left for more money and the counter was for more money, I wouldn't stay because it had more to do with not being recognized and rewarded at an appropriate time. In other words, I shouldn't have to threaten to quit to be paid what I think I'm worth.

But that's from the standpoint of "I need a j*b". It sounds like you don't, so take this as three months of additional effort for some easy cash.

Don't fall into a trap of continued servitude, however, no matter how much they offer. Diminishing returns, and all that. At some point, the money's not worth it, and you want to get on with your financial freedom and start enjoying retirement and life. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom