Roth 401k after rollover

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
had a 401k from a previous employer with Fido, about 4 or 5k of the toal was Roth 401k and the rest traditional. I just rolled the acct over into a Fido rollover IRA, but since both contributions were used to buy the same MF's, I lost track of the Roth, so is that amount now become traditional 401k as well? meaning I'll have to pay tax on it again during withdrawal?

My current 401k is the same thing, I started splitting about 50/50 between Roth and traditional sometime last year, both contributions are put in the same MF's. I already lost track how much of it are Roth. Am I responsible to keep record of it?

The Roth part should have been split off and been rolled to your regular Roth IRA.

The Pre-tax Traditional part should go to the Rollover IRA.

Maybe they can undo or recharacterize the Roth part?

had a 401k from a previous employer with Fido, about 4 or 5k of the toal was Roth 401k and the rest traditional. I just rolled the acct over into a Fido rollover IRA, but since both contributions were used to buy the same MF's, I lost track of the Roth, so is that amount now become traditional 401k as well? meaning I'll have to pay tax on it again during withdrawal?

bloom2708's comment is spot on.

I'm shocked that Fido didn't catch this. Seems very odd since Fido was involved at both ends of the rollover. Talk to Fido about it.

Fido offered to do pretty much whatever I needed when rolling over combined Roth and traditional 401k money. If it hasn't been too long they should be able to fix things up. I rolled into a Roth IRA just to be safe, and recharacterized the amount I didn't want to treat as a Roth conversion. The tax paperwork I received worked fine for that.

It was not clear to me that the company had tracked traditional vs. Roth anywhere close to reality. The types were mixed in terms of investment. In fact I had no option to select which type went to which funds. The only thing I received was a report of the total dollars and the Roth total. But the Roth total seemed to include only the original contribution, not any investment growth. So maybe their "Roth" option (it was called a Roth 401k) was kind of bogus. Hopefully OP's plan does better.

I was able to separate traditional and Roth funds for later rollovers. If that is a possibility then OP should be in good shape. I'd just be sure the company is actually tracking the Roth amount properly.

Back
Top Bottom