Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #501
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Well... Since I'm already retired there's A bug difference. I didn't save for retirement in order this watch the money just sit there while I eat cat food. I withdraw (sell) since I'm retired and need three money for it's intended purpose. I'm a buy and holder of index funds but I do periodic rebalancing so that involves selling stock funds or bond funds and buying the other type. I guess I'm getting bogged down on your statement you don't / won't sell. I sell to fund my retirement and I sell (and buy) to rebalance.
If I sell now I will have to pay a penalty on my 401k and taxes. What is my benefit of selling now?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #502
Moderator Emeritus

Been a long time since I was active here, joined in 2005 as a young pup with a dream, now 47 years old and recently calculated we have a 2.5 million NW now, made me think of the board!

Our single biggest good move was buying a ~1500 sq foot townhouse as a rental back in 2013 down the street from us (San Diego area). We've worked hard to pay it down so it will be mortgage free by retirement, and it should throw off about $3,000 net income at that point greatly benefiting the withdrawal rate necessary from our retirement accounts. Looking to quit at 55 (actually 54 and change).
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #503
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Been a long time since I was active here, joined in 2005 as a young pup with a dream, now 47 years old...
Man, you are getting old...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #504
Moderator Emeritus

I know it’s all relative but I look back on that guy and shake my head. Don’t miss some pics of the “babies” I put on latest pics. Remember heart surgery on my three year old? That’s her about to finish high school!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #505
Confused about dryer sheets

Noticed I was over $100k in my investment accounts (TSP, Roth IRA, and Taxable brokerage) yesterday. Not bad for getting serious about the idea late last year.

That's supposed to be the hard part, right?

Last year's milestone was eliminating all debt except the mortgage, and I've kept that one too.

Small milestones, but milestones none the less.
pdsmith505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #506
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsmith505 View Post
Noticed I was over $100k in my investment accounts (TSP, Roth IRA, and Taxable brokerage) yesterday. Not bad for getting serious about the idea late last year.

That's supposed to be the hard part, right?

Last year's milestone was eliminating all debt except the mortgage, and I've kept that one too.

Small milestones, but milestones none the less.
Congrats! I said I would have a party when I hit 100k. Before I knew it, it was 500k. How did that happen? Keep plugging away and trust the power of compounding!
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #507
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, get rich slow. Probability is with you -