Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

crystal ball says maybe-probably.
I am done playing the game in my head, now for the rest of me to catch up.
I start taking a non-Cola pension in 74 days, but who's counting?
;)

With the new Dow records lately, we have passed our previous high in our retirement accounts total. Kind of nice to see that.

With the new Dow records lately, we have passed our previous high in our retirement accounts total. Kind of nice to see that.

Yes, it is, and I wonder sometimes where I will see the end point of the high in my life.

I just looked also and have jumped up into a new 7-digit number. The crazy thing is it still hard for me to part with buying a new truck. I really could get by with a few older junkers till I can't drive any more.

$777,000 all time high today.

Age: 46. All in on index. No RE. Hope to be a millionaire before 50. I always wanted to become one in my 40s.

I am investing about $42.5k a year.

Will I reach my goals?

I looked at my IRA and saw that it is at an all time high. Took a while to get here. My previous high was end of 2020.

What is it now? Roth?

Just looked again. Previous All time high was 1.137m end of 2021 not 2020. Now 1.149. Traditional Ira through DW’s FA.

Had this IRa since 2010. Retired in 2014, but waited until 2017 to move about half of my 401 k into this Ira. About $326k gain since 2017. Conservative AA.

Have a minimal Roth and another traditional Ira , but haven’t checked on these lately.

You’re doing well at $777k at your age. Keep it up. You’ll be surprised how well it will grow. And then after you retire, you won’t want to spend it.

Last edited:
Woohoo! I finally joined my spouse in the 401(k) $1M club! (I earn less than my spouse, and got a slower start on my 401(k) in other ways, but we've been maxing them out since 2008.)

$777,000 all time high today.

Age: 46. All in on index. No RE. Hope to be a millionaire before 50. I always wanted to become one in my 40s.

I am investing about $42.5k a year.

Will I reach my goals?

No way to know for certain, of course. If the markets keep up their "good w*rk" you should soon be a millionaire soon. Congratulations!

After the recent surge in equities, I took a look at my assets. My raw numbers are still down a little (1.8%) from their all-time high at the end of 2021. (But consider that I have spent about 5% of my stash during those two years.)

Then I recalled that I have done a fair amount of Roth conversions. I also calculate a tax-adjusted number, which requires a guess at the rate the funds will come out at. My tax-adjusted total is now at an all-time high, by 4.5%. :dance:

Of course, I understand that inflation has diminished my purchasing power to probably a larger extent.

$781,100 all-time high today.

Will I become a millionaire before 50?

Investing about $42.5k per year now.

You've asked the same question on the 23rd, 24th, and the 1st.

The answer is the same. A back-of-the-envelope calculation shows you'll be over a mil by age 50.

$781,100 all-time high today.

Will I become a millionaire before 50?

Investing about $42.5k per year now.

Not that I would recommend it, but if you really wanted to guarantee millionaire status by 50, you could just throw your entire portfolio into a 4 year CD that pays out 5%. That'll net you about $950k on just your current portfolio, then add your annual contributions ($42.5k x 4 = $170K) and you'll get there. Just math haha.

Back
Top Bottom