Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divorce. Asset split took somewhat over half. Alimony liability was the rest. Between those two I saw an over 80% drop in NW. Alimony was complete in 2019. I owed child support too, but never counted that as a liability because lenders don't treat it as such. Last child support payment was this month, so it's gravy from here :LOL:

That's interesting. I always struggle about plotting household NW, vs NW per capita. One person households that are retired spend less, on average, than two-person households of retired people. Two one-person households could shack up and combine their NW!

Divorce. Asset split took somewhat over half. Alimony liability was the rest. Between those two I saw an over 80% drop in NW. Alimony was complete in 2019. I owed child support too, but never counted that as a liability because lenders don't treat it as such. Last child support payment was this month, so it's gravy from here :LOL:

I know your pain. Paid 577k in alimony between house value and alimony payments. Still retired at 57 y.o.
Good to see your recovery.

That's interesting. I always struggle about plotting household NW, vs NW per capita. One person households that are retired spend less, on average, than two-person households of retired people. Two one-person households could shack up and combine their NW!

I've used household NW while married and now remarried since late 2016.

DW did not bring many assets (also divorced), but she has since developed a great income, corporate benefits, and the same burning desire to RE. More importantly, we share the same concrete retirement goals. I am lucky.

Not a financial goal, but a goal I set a year ago to a accomplish before retirement date. I saw below 200 lbs at this mornings weigh-in. It's been 30 years since I've been this light - 199.6lbs.

I started actively dieting in Sept. 2019 @ 265 lbs. The real incentive was my annual physical hadn't gone too well and my physician was talking about starting me on both blood pressure meds and a statin. He agreed to delay while I attempted lifestyle changes. My numbers then/now:

.......................... Sept 2019 .........Today
Weight..................265 lbs..............199.6 lbs
BMI......................32 (obese)......... 24 (normal)
Blood pressure .....155/95...............116/68
HbA1c.................6.0(prediabetic).....4.6 (low normal)

I dropped the first 45 lbs pretty fast in 3 months. The last 20 lbs have been a slow grind, although that's somewhat intentional. I'll find out the rest of my progress in a couple weeks at annual physical. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now, at 200 lbs I feel good as that's the weight I was in college. (I'm 6'4")

I retire in 7 weeks, and I'll be doing it at the same weight I started my career at :dance:

Last edited:
Nicely done, bada bing! To your health! <raises glass>

But if your cholesterol and/or blood pressure don't come down, don't feel bad. I had high cholesterol even when I was a physically active vegetarian at a healthy weight, it's sometimes genetic. My blood pressure is fine, but I've seen a few friends have it go from healthy to dangerous in a very short time in their 40s, and their degree of fitness ran the spectrum, so it wasn't due to a poor diet or lack of exercise.

:dance:

Very nice !! you deserve to dance :)

Not a financial goal, but a goal I set a year ago to a accomplish before retirement date. I saw below 200 lbs at this mornings weigh-in. It's been 30 years since I've been this light - 199.6lbs.

I started actively dieting in Sept. 2019 @ 265 lbs. The real incentive was my annual physical hadn't gone too well and my physician was talking about starting me on both blood pressure meds and a statin. He agreed to delay while I attempted lifestyle changes. My numbers then/now:

I dropped the first 45 lbs pretty fast in 3 months. The last 20 lbs have been a slow grind, although that's somewhat intentional. I'll find out the rest of my progress in a couple weeks at annual physical. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now, at 200 lbs I feel good as that's the weight I was in college. (I'm 6'4")

I retire in 7 weeks, and I'll be doing it at the same weight I started my career at :dance:

Good job. :dance:
200 pounds should still get you through the Alaska winters.:D

1.2 mil networth ... paid off a lot of mortgage debt this year. $156K mortgage beginning of 2020, now my mortgage is $113K .. aiming to bring down my mortgage balance to $88K by end of the year. Want to pay off my mortgage before I retire in 3 years.

Just did some checking on accounts etc. and I would say I'm worth more now, then ever before. Not talking net worth but portfolio worth since February of 2020. Always interesting that the DOW is still down ~2000 points but still value is greater.

I'm sure most can say the same thing.

Just did some checking on accounts etc. and I would say I'm worth more now, then ever before. Not talking net worth but portfolio worth since February of 2020. Always interesting that the DOW is still down ~2000 points but still value is greater.

I'm sure most can say the same thing.

Yeah, same here. All time high, despite having sold off a bunch of equities in February. It helps that my wife still w*rks and so still contributes to her 401K.

Hit a milestone today, and boy does it feel great! Today's earnings pushed me over 1 million in invested assets. I am sure I will get to experience this many more times, but it's awesome to see it appear for the first time. Took about 3 years after initially hitting the same number in total net worth. :dance:

^ that is exciting for sure. I wish you many more millions through the years.

The last four weeks have been very good to us stock-wise - thirteen new highs for us in the market and eleven in net worth. If the market holds it's value for a couple weeks and we collect our rent we will manage to hit a million dollar mark before quarterly taxes knock us down a bit. That will be pretty exciting, since it will also be before we bump our net worth number up based on what the property tax man says our "true cash value" on the rentals and homes are. We also have the sale of our 9 unit college apartments rolling right along - so smoothly it makes me feel like we left a bunch on the table. We are carrying the contract and all contingencies have been met - we'll see about a thousand less/month as rental profit plus any appreciation, but it will reduce the maintenance load a bunch. Just looked and the last million took under 20 months. Holy snax!

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner

49 years old and we hit our "number" for the first time ever this week. Actually its our upgraded number as I reset the goal a few years ago :dance:

I always planned on being able to punch out at 50. Right now I could pull the plug and easily live on 3% of the principle. 2.5% would not be difficult at all.

With the markets in crazy mode, I expect we will slip back (substantially) below this level but its still pretty amazing to see it on the screen. :D

I have two years to go on my employment contract and will likely be employed for a year after that, so plenty of time to push through the market silliness, run up the score a bit, and address some charitable and other goals.

Thanks to everyone on this board. Its a great community that continues to keep me thinking, re-enforces good approaches, and otherwise just creates a fun place to hang out with financially savvy people!

Onward.

Retirement letter is written!

I polished up my retirement letter this evening. It is short and sweet and to the point. I just wanted to make sure I added a line about how much I've enjoyed w#rking with my boss over the last few years. He is one of the [-]best[/-] few good bosses I've ever had.

This week I will inform him via Zoom that my last day will be 12/31/20. :dance:

I wish I could tell him in person, but under the Covid circumstances that is not an option.

This almost feels real! :D

Just hit 2 million today cash, no kids but have a business I need to close and liquidate about 1.5 M value. I’m 60 DW is 58 . I am so ready.

^ You have plenty to call it quits.

Last edited:
As of today, I have recovered all of my 2020 losses, and achieved a new all time high with my 401K...hoping there is much more success in the future.

I polished up my retirement letter this evening. It is short and sweet and to the point. I just wanted to make sure I added a line about how much I've enjoyed w#rking with my boss over the last few years. He is one of the [-]best[/-] few good bosses I've ever had.

This week I will inform him via Zoom that my last day will be 12/31/20. :dance:

I wish I could tell him in person, but under the Covid circumstances that is not an option.

This almost feels real! :D

I so need this for my wife, that has had very few bosses that she liked working for...especially the one she has now.

As of today, I have recovered all of my 2020 losses, and achieved a new all time high with my 401K...hoping there is much more success in the future.

So was at a high in 2007 and then the crash hit and when I finally had the courage to peak some time in 2009 the 401k was less than half, even with contributions. We all called it a 201k. But stayed the course and now over 4 times that peak and over 10 times the 2009 low point.

Gave 2 weeks notice after landing a new gig paying 20% more. Plan still 2023. Once caveat is by leaving current corp, i'll lose defined benefit plan contribution (aka pension contribution) but higher new salary seems to even that up. Some travel involved. Let's see how it pans out !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom