Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 2 million today cash, no kids but have a business I need to close and liquidate about 1.5 M value. I’m 60 DW is 58 . I am so ready

Sounds like a good nest egg numbers !! Good luck. Remember... after 50, it's Time that's more valuable than money so go for it !

We reached FI back in 2018 but kept going for a bit to get us safely under a 4% WR and to meet some more personal career goals. We decided to pull the trigger on part-time work in May (yes, during the pandemic).

We just reviewed our total working hours between the two of us for the month of August and...

We worked a total of just over 80 hours, so about 40 per person. Happily coasting to semi-retirement.

Having more time for our hobbies and each other has been fantastic!

Five minutes ago I broke the 100 day mark:

:dance::dance:

Attachments

• 99 days to go.PNG
    99 days to go.PNG
    72.4 KB · Views: 125
This week our Daughter (28 y.o.) joined the 6-digit club! With zero debt! I've been her (unpaid) Financial Advisor since high school.

60% Roth
15% 401k (new job; company matches 100% up to 7.5% contribution)
25% investment account (individual DGI stocks + $5k emergency fund)

We're really proud of her.

Next goal: the elite 2-comma club!

BrianB

Last edited:
Reached My Goal Year Early ... but can't pull the trigger

I had set a goal 5 years ago to get to $5M Net Worth ($500K House paid off and $4.5M in IRA and Non IRA money) when I was 55 years old.

After a very roller coaster of a 2020 I have reached the the goal! Unfortunately I can not change my mindset to stop saving and trust my investments to fund my ER.

Than again my mom is 86 years old and still working as a seamstress in a bridal shop still! So maybe ER is not in my genes?!

I had set a goal 5 years ago to get to $5M Net Worth ($500K House paid off and $4.5M in IRA and Non IRA money) when I was 55 years old.

After a very roller coaster of a 2020 I have reached the the goal! Unfortunately I can not change my mindset to stop saving and trust my investments to fund my ER.

Than again my mom is 86 years old and still working as a seamstress in a bridal shop still! So maybe ER is not in my genes?!

Remember time is more valuable than money and I would think especially at 5m.

Remember time is more valuable than money and I would think especially at 5m.

Does your Mom need to still work or like to work? If she needs to still work as a seamstress and you have that much net worth? Maybe help out your Mom?

I like to look and see from time to time, where I have been financially from historical highs. After looking this morning from where the highs were in February 2020, my portfolio is again higher then at those times.

Milestones keep getting broken even in these pandemic times.

Congrats to all recent posters!

Just celebrated 3 years of "rehirement". First year I w*rked 25 hours/week, second year 15 hours/week, and now I'm down to 6 hours/week. Having a small income allows me to stay active, deduct health care expenses prior to Medicare (I'm 58), and have some beer/vacation money. Except for the pandemic, really enjoying my free time. Last week I took a full-week woodworking class, this past summer I installed a new crate engine in my musclecar, and have been enjoying evenings on the back screened porch with DW. Life is great!

With the market again approaching all-time highs, I have pulled most funds out of equities....will DCA back in once election craziness is over. I remember last election, market was WILD for about 2 weeks.

Sooooo close to our previous one-day major milestone, but not quite yet. One more good market day, though, and I'll start feeling better about "involuntary retirement"!

My son's Fidelity accounts, Including all his money, checking, 401k, Roth, taxable, just crossed the $100,000 mark.

He is 23, and graduated from college and started work in June 2019.

My son's Fidelity accounts, Including all his money, checking, 401k, Roth, taxable, just crossed the $100,000 mark.

He is 23, and graduated from college and started work in June 2019.

Congrats. He is on his way to ER.

Double-comma club if you add up all my investable assets, but only just barely.

Including my home, I reckon I'm over $1.3M.

I plan on semi-FIRE before I reach $2M, but we shall see. Man plans, God laughs.

I have $1.3M in home (paid off) and lately crossed $1M mark in savings (both pretax and after tax). Feel really poor, as property tax reached $14K and keep climbing and market hit records where substantial drop is possible in near future.

I stopped tracking my expenses.

Have been tracking income, & expenses for 40 years. My goal was to reach point where “I have enough money”. Made it, now onto the next goal.

In late September, we closed on our first retirement home, a 3/2.5 with a pool, in a gated community on Hawaii Island. Two weeks later, we actually moved here. Still w$rking remotely, but ever so close to RE. We took on a mortgage for the first time in 7 years, but with an interest rate below 2.7%, I don't feel so bad (and the house has already appreciated more in one month than two years' worth of interest payments).

I have $1.3M in home (paid off) and lately crossed $1M mark in savings (both pretax and after tax). Feel really poor, as property tax reached $14K and keep climbing and market hit records where substantial drop is possible in near future.

Do you live in CA? Or Hawaii?

I don't pretend to be able to predict the market...but I do dial back my equities whenever the market approaches an all-time high.

Retirement starts November 1. 58yrs old. Have $3mil now with lump sum pension to be paid in December of $1.548mil. House and real estate value $600k. Still have a high school aged young person. One in college. Married. Thoughts ?
I’m primarily concerned about Sequence of return risk. What am I missing ? Thanks

Do you live in CA? Or Hawaii?

I don't pretend to be able to predict the market...but I do dial back my equities whenever the market approaches an all-time high.

In California, SF Bay Area. I know it may sound stupid but I like this place. And besides that, I'm still working and potential employers are all around. The downside it is expensive, even with paid off house to live here.

Retirement starts November 1. 58yrs old. Have $3mil now with lump sum pension to be paid in December of $1.548mil. House and real estate value $600k. Still have a high school aged young person. One in college. Married. Thoughts ?
I’m primarily concerned about Sequence of return risk. What am I missing ? Thanks

Why don't you start a thread on what asked. You will get some great information and knowledge from folks that can help you and answer your questions.

You have done great but this thread is more on your milestones. Not on what you may need before you retire.
Good Luck.

What are you missing: Any indication of what your expenses are. Not mut we can do to advise you until we know that.

Why don't you start a thread on what asked. You will get some great information and knowledge from folks that can help you and answer your questions.

You have done great but this thread is more on your milestones. Not on what you may need before you retire.
Good Luck.

^^^^ What Street said!

In California, SF Bay Area. I know it may sound stupid but I like this place. And besides that, I'm still working and potential employers are all around. The downside it is expensive, even with paid off house to live here.

Nothing wrong with that if you like it there! To each his/her own.:dance:

Final pieces are falling into place

Last week I received my Medicare card, and I also (digitally) signed and (electronically) submitted my pension application.

This weekend I will finalize my selection of a Medicare supplemental insurance plan and a drug plan.

I have almost finished preparing detailed procedures for how to do all my tasks at w#rk. Both my boss and I anticipate that he will not be allowed to fill my position due to Covid cutbacks in the organization, so he will have to "farm out" my w#rk to others. It's important to me personally that I leave everything in good shape for that reason. I have been there for 25.5 years, and I don't want to lower my standards in the final stretch.

Now I just have to get through (knock wood) the next 8 weeks (37 w#rk days) until the two-week holiday break on 12/18. My last official day on the payroll will be 12/31. :dance:

Reached $400k in net assets in August 2020.

Age 42.

Congratulations - your on the right track for sure. I’ve made headway and glad I left my investments in market this year regardless of Covid. It paid off. Keep it up and you and I hopefully will both be hitting the 500K milestone then $1 mil mark in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom