Should we buy the beach house?

Congrats! My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of buying a beach house (for renting / occasional use).

We’re in our 30’s still, and like the idea of having a few vacation homes / rentals in retirement…. But are a little afraid to take the jump! Maybe next year? Lol

My advice would be to make sure that you know the area really well. Where we are, the difference of a few streets away can vastly affect price, rental opportunities, etc.

Best wishes with your decision!

Enjoy the beach house! There is something very soothing about the ocean.

We bought the beach house! Closed in December, worked on it all winter, listed it on the usual sites in April, booked all summer and every weekend in September (we're going up Labor Day through the next week).

It was REALLY stressful for a long time, and renovations cost a lot more than we budgeted (of course), but as each renter checked out and left us 5 star reviews, I began to relax a little bit more. We won't cover all the renovations and mortgage this year, but probably next year we'll be ready to renovate the addition.

Thanks for all of the great advice here. We're very happy that we did it. My sister gave me this sign; I thought you'd appreciate it Ronstar!

Congrats! And yes - I like the sign!

What is classified as a beach house? A home in a beach community? Obviously a home on the ocean itself.

If the ocean is walking distance does that count? We are in a beach community, about 1 mile or so from a great beach (about 20 to 30 minute walk, 10 mins by bike). But I do not classify our home as a beach house.

What is classified as a beach house? A home in a beach community? Obviously a home on the ocean itself.

If the ocean is walking distance does that count? We are in a beach community, about 1 mile or so from a great beach (about 20 to 30 minute walk, 10 mins by bike). But I do not classify our home as a beach house.

No further than the distance you can comfortably walk, in a bathing suit and flip flops, carrying a fold up chair. You can hear the gulls, smell the salt, and maybe see the horizon, if not the waves, from some part of the house.

No further than the distance you can comfortably walk, in a bathing suit and flip flops, carrying a fold up chair. You can hear the gulls, smell the salt, and maybe see the horizon, if not the waves, from some part of the house.

That would be my interpretation too. Some folks think differently, especially around here.

If you want it and can afford it buy it. The longer you wait the less time you will have to enjoy it.

Yup. That's our place. We're on the marsh. Oceanfront would be 3X as much:LOL: Works for us.

Back
Top Bottom