Strange emails - Identity theft attempt?

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I received three strange emails from Synchrony Bank this morning. I have an Amazon Store Card through Synchrony Bank but have never used it. I have never applied for an Amazon Credit Builder card or had any other interaction with Synchrony Bank. My credit is frozen at all three major agencies.

(Note: The Amazon Credit Builder is a secured credit card designed for people who are looking to build or rebuild their credit. Once approved for the Amazon Credit Builder, you are required to make a refundable security deposit as collateral to open your credit card account.)

Here are the three emails:

A Trial Deposit Has Been Successfully Made to Your AMAZON CREDITBUILDER

Note: This email was sent to you by Synchrony Bank, the issuer of your AMAZON CREDITBUILDER Account. You may receive account servicing emails even if you have requested not to receive marketing offers by email for your AMAZON CREDITBUILDER Account. Synchrony Bank is located at 170 Election Road, Suite 125, Draper, Utah, 84020, USA.

This is an unmonitored email box. Please do not reply to this email.

Head off identity theft before it happens. For more information about identity theft, please visit the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) consumer website at www.ftc.gov/idtheft/.

A Trial Deposit Has Been Successfully Made to Your

Note: This email was sent to you by Synchrony Bank, the issuer of your Account. You may receive account servicing emails even if you have requested not to receive marketing offers by email for your Account. Synchrony Bank is located at 170 Election Road, Suite 125, Draper, Utah, 84020, USA.

This is an unmonitored email box. Please do not reply to this email.

Head off identity theft before it happens. For more information about identity theft, please visit the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) consumer website at www.ftc.gov/idtheft/.

Action required on your application

(The last email was blank other than the subject)

Anyone else received anything like this? Any idea what's going on?

Last edited:
Not yet.
I have in the past gotten emails notifying me of my purchase/transfer of money, which I didn't do, and the links were fake scam sites.

Have you frozen your credit at the big 3 credit sites so it's harder for someone to open credit in your name ?

Could be an email error by the bank. The fact that you have a card account with them already should preclude the credit builder card.

Looks like spam to me. I would call synchrony directly to ask them.

I received same emails just about an hour ago. I didn't apply for, no link provided to check or confirm.

It's spam.

"A Trial Deposit ..." gives off alarms of The Pigeon Drop.

What domain were the senders’ email accounts? That often gives it away as phishing or spam. Most email apps now only show the from as “xyz bank” but if you dig for the complete email address it might say xyzbank.abcd.ru or whatever, instead of the xyzbank.com you would expect. Maybe.

I received three strange emails from Synchrony Bank this morning. I have an Amazon Store Card through Synchrony Bank but have never used it. I have never applied for an Amazon Credit Builder card or had any other interaction with Synchrony Bank. My credit is frozen at all three major agencies.

(Note: The Amazon Credit Builder is a secured credit card designed for people who are looking to build or rebuild their credit. Once approved for the Amazon Credit Builder, you are required to make a refundable security deposit as collateral to open your credit card account.)

Here are the three emails:

(The last email was blank other than the subject)

Anyone else received anything like this? Any idea what's going on?

I had an online chat with synchrony bank Amazon credit card group about my same emails. The customer service guy said that it was an “email glitch” and apologized. He said to disregard the emails, and that an email would be sent soon explaining about the glitch.

Last edited:
It's spam.

"A Trial Deposit ..." gives off alarms of The Pigeon Drop.

No, it’s a bank error.

What domain were the senders’ email accounts? That often gives it away as phishing or spam. Most email apps now only show the from as “xyz bank” but if you dig for the complete email address it might say xyzbank.abcd.ru or whatever, instead of the xyzbank.com you would expect. Maybe.
It’s a valid domain synchronybank.com. System error on their part.

Could be an email error by the bank. The fact that you have a card account with them already should preclude the credit builder card.
Exactly!

We also have frozen credit.

Last edited:
Delete the emails and don't click on anything in them.

Watch your back for a few months.
Could be a real scam, maybe the scammer will come along and post that it's not a scam at all, they personally talked about it with the bank, it's just an email mistake, a correction is forthcoming, and not to be worried. :):)

edit - ok, just kidding...

Last edited:
Could be a real scam, maybe the scammer will come along and post that it's not a scam at all, they personally talked about it with the bank, it's just an email mistake, a correction is forthcoming, and not to be worried. :):)

What, me?

Posted on the internet

Screenshot_20191125-151205_Chrome.jpeg

I got these emails too. I tried calling Synchrony because I couldn’t log in online. All I got was “this call cannot be completed at this time” message. I finally got into the website, and there are no indications of deposits into my account and all the money is there. I suspect their phone lines and web servers are overwhelmed right now.

I got these emails too. I tried calling Synchrony because I couldn’t log in online. All I got was “this call cannot be completed at this time” message. I finally got into the website, and there are no indications of deposits into my account and all the money is there. I suspect their phone lines and web servers are overwhelmed right now.
I was going to comment on their business resiliency plans. [emoji23]

No, it’s a bank error.

It’s a valid domain synchronybank.com. System error on their part.

Exactly!

We also have frozen credit.

Had me fooled :rolleyes:. Sounded like a scam to me.

Then again, in today's world, I start off believing everything is a scam :popcorn:.

I actually had a real $1 or so charge show up on my Amazon (Synchrony) account once.

It showed as "pending," but I hadn't bought anything. I called Amazon and they said to call the bank. The bank said to call Amazon. Because it was "pending" neither one had a record of it.

I almost had the bank cancel the card, but in the end I decided to just turn on text notifications so I'd know right away if any bogus purchases were made. That never happened, and the "pending" transaction was never completed.

These small transactions are how mail-order companies verify an account when you set it up. I'm guessing Amazon did this for some reason even though my account had been around a long time.

Not exactly the same issue as the e-mail everyone's reporting here (I didn't get one, BTW) but I figured I'd mention it here for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom