Strategies for living (and focusing less on money)

HaHa said:
We men could better our lives if we could copy your habits in this regard, as well as some others!

Years -- even decades -- ago I was addicted to the Hardees breakfast cinnamon raisin biscuits and would stop in almost every morning for one of those and a cup of coffee on my way to work. There was always a group of 6 or 7 old guys (70s, I'd guess). Their conversation would wax and wane, kind of curmudgeony, bitching about this, that, and everything else. Gradually they would disband til only 2 or 3 remained and then all would take off. A few were obviously physically impaired but all were actively involved in the daily discussions.

I remember being amused by them, and in hindsight I think I was a little arrogant and patronizing in my mind - these "poor old guys" with "nothing else to do but hang out at Hardees," etc.

Well, I've gotten older and maybe a little wiser. I look back now and see a bunch of retirees, taking the time and effort to reinforce their friendships daily; they would probably take a bullet for one another and that morning ritual was likely an important part of their day. Maybe some were widowed and otherwise alone. Maybe they looked at me as that pathetic guy in his fancy work clothes, rushing through breakfast so he can take his place in rush-hour traffic, no time for friends -- too busy and too self-important.

I was way off the mark at that time. In this way, I think I've changed over the years. 6 friends you see for an hour almost every day, no rush, no drama, just friends -- they got it right.

Yep - I haven't yet found 'the doughnut shop' like pre-Katrina down in LA, but have a couple of strong candidates up here.

A work in progress.

heh heh heh heh heh

Thanks to the internet, now we can sit and "talk" with total strangers, without having to go thru the trouble of sitting and talking

Posted by: genghis Posted on: Today at 03:39:25 PM
Insert Quote
Thanks to the internet, now we can sit and "talk" with total strangers, without having to go thru the trouble of sitting and talking

Exactly!! And fortunately I'm not even 40 to realize this. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom