Tax Software

2soon2tell

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone use the online versions of Turbo Tax or Tax Act to file their taxes?

Any worries about the theft of your information. I have always used the download version of these programs to keep my info private. The extra cost has been worth the peace of mind in past filings.

Does anyone use the online versions of Turbo Tax or Tax Act to file their taxes?

Any worries about the theft of your information. I have always used the download version of these programs to keep my info private. The extra cost has been worth the peace of mind in past filings.
I actually buy the CD rather than downloading the program.

I use TurboTax but not the online version, I use the desktop version. One less risk. I file on paper for the same reason.

I've used the online version of TaxAct in the past. If you efile, you're introducing a third party when filing, even if using the downloaded/CD version. If you print and mail, no third party involved.

Been using free online Turbotax from Fido for a few years. We also have an extra security layer from our ESET software.

Been using free online Turbotax from Fido for a few years.
Same. I also require 2-factor authentication via authenticator app, and only access it from my home or work computers, on those secured networks. As long as you practice good security overall so your computers and networks aren't compromised (which would be an issue whether you did your taxes online or with the software), it should be as safe as online banking.

I am unconcerned about privacy of my tax return because it is rather uninteresting.

However, I don't use online-only tax software because I like to test multiple scenarios in order to minimize my taxes throughout the year. I will have 3 or 4 similar returns on my computer at the same time. For instance, three major things I test are:

(a) How much Roth conversion to make?
(b) How much stock to donate to charity?
(c) How to split my property tax bill into two tax years?

I do bunching of itemized deductions in alternate years, so instead of averaging $24,000 of standard deduction per year, I average a higher amount and save on my taxes. And I don't need an internet connection to do all this.

Desktop version but because it comes with 5 free e-files and I use all of them for us and family.

Desktop version so I can also do my son’s, plus I like to run different scenarios while planning Roth conversions and capital gains.

We have been using the online version of TaxAct for several years. I am not concerned with the security of it. If you are using a computer that is connected to the internet, then the risk of having information compromised is probably higher with a "local copy" of the program vs a cloud based version. Of course, this is highly dependent on how effective you are at securing your network.

I'm thinking of ditching the reduced cost on-line Fidelity Turbo Tax deal as it is not allowing me to input my kids tuition from their 1098-T. It is only showing books and equipment. When I click on Tuition payments it says I have already input the amounts for 2019. That's funny since I just got the documents today. And you can't bring up the forms on the on-line version.

Crap.

Definitely looks like I have to get the CD version. Somehow the online version thinks I made too much to deduct tuition. That is not true. At least with the CD version you can bring up the actual tax forms to fill in. Oh well.

We use the desktop/download version of TurboTax Premiere with 5 free e-files, which Fidelity provides for free. We use the software to plan and file for ourselves, DMIL, and each of our 2 kids. The kids each do their own return but they use our desktop computer and me for consulting.

I don't obsess about security on tax returns. All of our SSNs are in the wild at this point anyway. The rest of the return is very uninteresting as LOL! points out. If Fidelity/Intuit forces us to use the online version at some point in the future, I won't moan too much. And I really don't think putting paper into the USPS is any safer than e-filing, but who knows.

Desktop version so I can also do my son’s, plus I like to run different scenarios while planning Roth conversions and capital gains.

Same here, TurboTax desktop.

I filed our 2019 taxes earlier this week. Now I want to do some planning for this year but I can't find the "What-If" worksheets in the Forms section of TurboTax. I heard about this section in TurboTax from this forum and it's invaluable for planning purposes.

Now I can't find it!

Any ideas where it is? I hope they haven't done away with it...

I buyTurbo Tax at Costco. I never think $50 per year is too expensive for me. I use TaxSlayer for volunteer work. Both are fine and user friendly. Data is always imported and investments downloaded off Schwab and Fidelity. I'm not as money conscious as many to try and get things free online. Any way it goes it works for me

I actually buy the CD rather than downloading the program.
I download the desktop version of H&R Block, but I burn it to a CD before I install it (along with the unlocking code in a text file). Then I install it from the CD on my desktop and laptop. This way, since I save the returns on a CD also, as long as there's a Windows system or Windows emulator, I can install and pull-up any old return, if I need to.

However, I don't use online-only tax software because I like to test multiple scenarios in order to minimize my taxes throughout the year. ...
Same here.

Desktop version but because it comes with 5 free e-files and I use all of them for us and family.
Yep

Same here, TurboTax desktop.

I filed our 2019 taxes earlier this week. Now I want to do some planning for this year but I can't find the "What-If" worksheets in the Forms section of TurboTax. I heard about this section in TurboTax from this forum and it's invaluable for planning purposes.

Now I can't find it!

Any ideas where it is? I hope they haven't done away with it...

I have it in TTax Premier 2019. Go to Forms mode, click on Open Form and type "what" in the search box

We have been using the online version of TaxAct for several years. I am not concerned with the security of it. If you are using a computer that is connected to the internet, then the risk of having information compromised is probably higher with a "local copy" of the program vs a cloud based version.

We have been using EZTaxReturn.com for years. It's secure, easy to use, and works well. I don't see it being any less secure than our online checking, savings, and credit card accounts.

We filed our taxes online a few weeks ago and already received our refund, direct deposited to our checking account. As usual, we already spent our income tax refund to pay our property taxes. :)

I've used Free File Fillable Forms for years, which has become less pleasant as our taxes have become more complex in recent years. This year I used FreeTaxUSA and it was so much more pleasant and easy in comparison. I'm a convert, for sure. Here's a link to their security page: https://www.freetaxusa.com/safe.jsp

I agree with mountainsoft. Even if you don't put your information out there, it's out there anyway.

Well, I think after several years of using Taxact, this will be the last year. The program did a lot of "timing out" and while I didn't lose information, it was frustrating to have to login over and over again. Plus, they won't import information from VG, so that made it a 3 hour ordeal instead of the hour it should have taken.

I have it in TTax Premier 2019. Go to Forms mode, click on Open Form and type "what" in the search box

Thank you!! cathy63 I don't think I would ever have found it without your express instructions.

jj

Back
Top Bottom