Tax software functionality and deals

Sadly, my computer with TurboTax died and it was the downloaded version (I do have backups of the data files and the tax forms) so I'm working with on-line calculators right now. I'm looking forward to getting the real 2022 software.
Dinkytown.net usually is pretty comprehensive - and you only want to check if you are in the ball park with your estimated payments. They have the 2021 tax details available. https://www.dinkytown.net/java/1040-tax-calculator.html

Fidelity Premiere Customer rep turned down our $100.00 goodwill gesture for the purchase of TurboTax Premiere. Been getting that goodwill in our joint savings for years. Turned down immediately. Will just have to fork out the money for the software.

ACA and Roth conversion final tweaking for me, and now that my mom is in memory care, maximizing IRA withdrawals at 0% tax with high medical deductions for the parents. All could be done with a tax estimator but I'd rather do it in the actual tax program. I'll get it on black Friday or whenever some kind of sale is on, and not worry about saving another possible $5 or $10. BTD, ya know?
I looked at camelcamelcamel and TT deluxe download did not drop price until after Christmas, so I bought it today. I needed to estimate my parents' taxes and determine their EOY IRA distribution (RMD was already satisfied). My brother has POA (he lives in the same town as them) and I advise him on things like this. He wanted to know soon how much to take as he has to go through their FA. Don't get me started on them having an FA. I'm just dealing with that reality.

There was a slight discrepancy between TT and the Dinkytown estimator. Dinkytown said to include qualified dividends in the Ordinary Dividends box. I couldn't get it to match TT unless I made this box Ordinary Divs only, not including Qualified. Or maybe I entered divs in TT wrong. It's a small difference so I skipped it.

You probably know this, but you can download your copy of TT to a new computer as long as it's the same year/version (PC or Mac, but not either).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/t...urbotax-program-to-my-new-computer/00/1667852

Thanks, but it looks like you need the license code, which I would have gotten in an e-mail when I ordered it from Costco. It's long gone since I would have deleted it after using and my e-mail deletes Trash after 30 days.

And, a warning to those of you who have the 2021 download: I opened it up to see if they have the investment income scheduled yet (they don't) and after a forced update I was asked for my License code again. Good thing it was still in Trash in my e-mail. I've since filed that e-mail in case I need it again.

Don't lose your License Code!

I'll be trying dinkytown now.

Thanks, but it looks like you need the license code, which I would have gotten in an e-mail when I ordered it from Costco. It's long gone since I would have deleted it after using and my e-mail deletes Trash after 30 days.

And, a warning to those of you who have the 2021 download: I opened it up to see if they have the investment income scheduled yet (they don't) and after a forced update I was asked for my License code again. Good thing it was still in Trash in my e-mail. I've since filed that e-mail in case I need it again.

This is why I like to use Amazon. TT is always saved in your digital library.

When I download tax software, the install binary goes in an "installs" directory along with a text file where I paste the license code. Then I drag that folder to a CD and write the license code on the CD with a sharpie. Only then, do I install the software. Marshmallow test, for sure, lol!

Is it mostly/partially functional? I don't want to file, but I do want to plan and if nothing works, then I will wait.
I bought it for $70, and was surprised the entire investment section was non-functional. But that may be changing right now, since I've updated it. This "update" had me re-sign the license agreement and wants to know the license key, again. Seems like they re-vamped it - I hope the delay was caused by Congress, which finally passed a bill with tax changes this week.

This is why I like to use Amazon. TT is always saved in your digital library.
I didn’t realize that, thanks. I wonder if Amazon ever matches Costco’s Jan discount $34.86 Deluxe and $54.86 Premier both Fed & State w free Fed eFile? That’s what I wait for every year.

Does Costco.com have it? Amazon keeps it at https://smile.amazon.com/gp/swvgdtt/your-account/manage-downloads.html/ . Maybe Costco has something similar?

Check out [mod edit]https://softwarediscountusa.com/ and ask them for promo code

I got TurboTax Home & Business for $57.59

And also they will give you keys for Windows and Mac if you ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is Turbo Tax Premier needed?

I have SS income, pension income, interest income and some mutual fund distributions. No rental properties, partnerships, or self-employed income. No investments outside the USA except for an international stock mutual fund.

The TT site seems to encourage getting the Premier edition, but I wonder why?

I have SS income, pension income, interest income and some mutual fund distributions. No rental properties, partnerships, or self-employed income. No investments outside the USA except for an international stock mutual fund.

More profit, it seems to be TT's SOP. :cool:
I stopped using them years ago when they removed a standard form to force people to upgrade. :mad:

When I download tax software, the install binary goes in an "installs" directory along with a text file where I paste the license code. Then I drag that folder to a CD and write the license code on the CD with a sharpie. Only then, do I install the software. Marshmallow test, for sure, lol!

+1
I do the same, except I don't write the key code on the CD :LOL:

IME you don’t. Premier makes investment income and Roth conversions easier, but you can handle both with Deluxe as I have for 2-3 years now, it’s just a little less interview automated. All the forms are there. Intuits comparison table is misleading at best.

What i ran into a few years ago, when our son sold their home, was Deluxe would not calculate the $250K exclusion, so I had to upgrade to Premier.

I think the security issue with the cloud version is whether one's comfortable with all your tax information being stored on Intuit's servers, where in theory it could be accessed by a hacker if they're able to break into their systems.

Frankly I worry more about the security of the IRS.

[Mod Edit]
That just means they use a payment system from Visa. It has nothing to do with Intuit's authorization as authentic.

If you get audited, and it's a TT problem, Intuit isn't going to help, even if it is a legit problem. And you don't know if this unauthorized dealer has snuck in some hooks in the installation to put malware on your machine, or keep a copy of your return with SSN and other info.

Not worth saving a few bucks to me.

That just means they use a payment system from Visa. It has nothing to do with Intuit's authorization as authentic.

If you get audited, and it's a TT problem, Intuit isn't going to help, even if it is a legit problem. And you don't know if this unauthorized dealer has snuck in some hooks in the installation to put malware on your machine, or keep a copy of your return with SSN and other info.

Not worth saving a few bucks to me.

I doubt this is so easy to modify and distribute a modified installation exe

But the point is taken, I feel comfortable. Others will decide for themselves

Not on the list of authorized resellers, so use at your own risk.

Which is why I always buy a disc, usually at Sam's. I know I am getting the authorized version, and not downloading from a third party website that "could" provide me with some unwanted "attachments".
[Mod Edit]
Not sure what this means, but it has nothing to do with being an Intuit authorized reseller.

I doubt this is so easy to modify and distribute a modified installation exe

But the point is taken, I feel comfortable. Others will decide for themselves

Malware distributors do that every day; it's nowhere near as complicated as you might think.

With all the belt&suspenders, doublechecking, skeptical folks we have here, I'm really a bit surprised that anyone would go for one of these "discount" software operators on something as important as tax software, especially since you will be giving it so much personal and financial information and you won't know what else it might be doing on your computer.

Obviously, we all want to save a buck when we can, but that's not where I would want to do it. There will be enough legitimate discounts available in the next couple of months that I think it's worth waiting for them.

Malware distributors do that every day; it's nowhere near as complicated as you might think.

With all the belt&suspenders, doublechecking, skeptical folks we have here, I'm really a bit surprised that anyone would go for one of these "discount" software operators on something as important as tax software, especially since you will be giving it so much personal and financial information and you won't know what else it might be doing on your computer.

Obviously, we all want to save a buck when we can, but that's not where I would want to do it. There will be enough legitimate discounts available in the next couple of months that I think it's worth waiting for them.

As I said, the point is taken, will consider next year.

So far, I used this reseller a couple of times with no problems. Actually I never even thought to look for "Intuit authorized" TT.

However, do you have an example of when the last time TT was resold with malware embedded?

Back
Top Bottom