Tax software functionality and deals

So buy the download version for $40 and start over. Or find a discounted link like Fidelity has to save $10-20.

BTW TT Premier online is (or used to be) equivalent to the download version of Deluxe in terms of features.

Thanks for the recommendation. I used TT Deluxe for years but changed to the online version last year.

Time to shop around.

E-Filed Fed and NC Tax returns using FreeTaxUSA. $21.98

Gonna be hard for me to use TurboTax again.

For those of you the use FreeTax, will it import data from Fido and TDA? I have been using TaxAct for years (at a discount, but that gets to be a pain) and am thinking of switching over.

It's not that hard to put in your own 1099-B, DIV, and INT stuff unless you trade a lot of equities.

I'm looking at using OLT since it's completely free (both fed&state e-file) with IRS FreeFile and AGI under $73k.

It's not that hard to put in your own 1099-B, DIV, and INT stuff unless you trade a lot of equities.

I'm looking at using OLT since it's completely free (both fed&state e-file) with IRS FreeFile and AGI under $73k.

I normally don't do a lot of trading, but I did have enough last year that it was worth the extra cost of using TaxAct. For me, it was a time vs. money comparison. Nonetheless, I think next year I will be moving away from TaxAct as it is pretty pricey, even with the discount codes.

You don't even have to enter the individual sales from the 1099-B. Just enter the totals for each category.

If all your transactions are "covered" (basis reported to the IRS), and you have no basis adjustments, then you're done. If you have adjusted, noncovered or not-reported transactions, then you are supposed to print form 8453 and mail it, along with a statement showing the individual transactions, to the IRS in Austin, TX.

Still ridiculous that Block charges $20 to e-file state when a state download is included in purchase. Stopped getting it a few years ago when they started that nonsense.

Still ridiculous that Block charges $20 to e-file state when a state download is included in purchase. Stopped getting it a few years ago when they started that nonsense.
TurboTax does as well. Many people just file their state return on paper, or some states allow you to enter it on their website.

Or move to NY, where they're not allowed to charge the e-file fee because they require returns to be e-filed if they're software created. One of the few stupid NY laws that are actually good.

I hate doing taxes SO much, and consequently I can't think of a better way to spend $20. I gladly give it to TurboTax, e-file my state return so I can leave "tax h*ll", and then move on to more enjoyable activities.

I hate doing taxes SO much, and consequently I can't think of a better way to spend $20. I gladly give it to TurboTax and then move on to more enjoyable activities.

I broke down last year, and paid the $20 to e-file the State return.

I didn't want to mail it, as the State requires it and the Fed return both mailed to them.

Our Online State website is too stupid with their return. Besides filling in the numbers for a State return, they want a person to do parts of the Federal return as well :facepalm:

I should just be able to enter the State values (from my printed copy) and be done.

I hate doing taxes SO much, and consequently I can't think of a better way to spend $20. I gladly give it to TurboTax, e-file my state return so I can leave "tax h*ll", and then move on to more enjoyable activities.
+1. The line between frugal and cheap can often be excruciatingly thin.

Reactions: W2R
It's more of a principle than being cheap for me. I'm not rewarding this behavior when you've already paid for the state return prep.

It's more of a principle than being cheap for me. I'm not rewarding this behavior when you've already paid for the state return prep.
So who do you use that doesn't charge for state e-filing? I noticed that TaxAct charges $45 alone for state prep and e-filing. Or is that OK with you since you think that's just for the software and e-file is "free", but paying $16.49 for H&R Block on sale but does not include state e-file offends you?

Last edited:
I usually use the state’s free ifile but i got intimidated at the thought of entering six 1099R’s. I took distributions from an assortment of retirement funds. I broke down and decided to pay Block $20 but they insisted on info not required like drivers license numbers. The program insisted that i enter “missing” data on 1099’s that had blanks in some boxes. I caved and mailed a paper return for the state. Still paid $4.50 for mail tracking. Whole process is getting more annoying. I had to write a huge check to the Feds and that part doesn’t even bother me.

I usually use the state’s free ifile but i got intimidated at the thought of entering six 1099R’s. I took distributions from an assortment of retirement funds. I broke down and decided to pay Block $20 but they insisted on info not required like drivers license numbers. The program insisted that i enter “missing” data on 1099’s that had blanks in some boxes. I caved and mailed a paper return for the state. Still paid $4.50 for mail tracking. Whole process is getting more annoying. I had to write a huge check to the Feds and that part doesn’t even bother me.
I believe that the DL info and filling i 1099 boxes are standard e-file requirements. In the case of the driver's license, it's to verify who you are.

I believe that the DL info and filling i 1099 boxes are standard e-file requirements. In the case of the driver's license, it's to verify who you are.

DL info is not required for Federal e-file. It may be required for some states but not all. It’s not required for PA e-file.

So who do you use that doesn't charge for state e-filing? I noticed that TaxAct charges $45 alone for state prep and e-filing. Or is that OK with you since you think that's just for the software and e-file is "free", but paying $16.49 for H&R Block on sale but does not include state e-file offends you?

As I said before, state e-file was included with Block Deluxe a few years ago (I used it for years before then), then they decided to get greedy.

OLT is completely free if your AGI is less than $73k (via IRS Free File) and Cash App taxes is somewhat limited but free for all (formerly Credit Karma Tax until Intuit was forced to spin it off). Use them if you can. Don't reward this crappy behavior when tax filing should be free for all tax cases - if Congress wasn't bought off by Intuit we'd be able to.

Read up on how Intuit has bullied this market, there's a long and sordid history. TT left the Free File program this year, btw - big surprise (not), but AGI limit was way lower, like $37k or so, when they did participate. Block left it last year, their AGI max was also low. These two dominant companies have done everything they can to make it hard for people to file for free.

I understand almost nobody here cares about Intuit and Block and how they've milked their dominance, we're all rich compared to average folks and just want to pay up and move on and that's fine. But I do, because plenty of those average folks are confused and overpay for tax prep every year. JMHO. YMMV.

IRS Free File

OLT via IRS Free File

Cash App Taxes

Last edited:
I just finished my taxes and for the first time paid H&R Block to submit my state taxes.

I like the ease of doing this and used a cash back credit card. I will submit for a statement credit to cover the costs so no out of pocket costs for me but I certainly could have spent that somewhere else.

I guess that's how I justified paying it. [emoji23][emoji848]

Completed our taxes with OLT via IRS Free File for the first time and it worked great, just as good as TT or Block online and desktop software (I used both of these before for many years) as long as you can live without imports. No issues with entering and calculating taxes/deductions/credits for our retirement income, IRAs, investments, foreign tax credit, self-employed business, ACA insurance etc. and it looks like all the forms are supported. Georgia tax form took all of maybe 5 minutes to finish after fed was done.

Recommended, and completely free for many folks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you are wrong. Fidelity TOLD me in 2018 that I did not qualify for it any more. This has been discussed to death.

I am not wrong, you just didn’t investigate enough or ask your Fidelity rep. I get it every year this way, including the current year. It’s there, I GOT it. You just need to auto qualify with 1 million in total assets OR just ask your rep if you have a good relationship and say you have only a half mil.

Back
Top Bottom