Time to Start Hoarding Gold?

Originally Posted by brewer12345
...try "Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse" instead.

Finally, something actionable!

Sounds like it would be a better movie than book...

Ah, there is hope!

Crimespree Cinema: Victor Gischler's GO-GO GIRLS OF THE APOCALYPSE: Author, producer share thoughts on project.

Victor Gischler recently announced the sale of the film rights to Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse to producer Brad Wyman.

Wyman was behind the phenominal Monster with Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci.

-ERD50

I'm trying to picture this: I dutifully hoard gold (coins and/or small bars of gold). Then I decide want to buy a fan (with my 20% off coupon) at Bed Bath and Beyond. I want to pay for the fan with some of the gold in my pocket. Then what happens? Can you lead me through this transaction?

Strike employee nearest door on head with gold brick, flee store with fan.

Key is remember:
1. They are no longer your friends and family, it's just brains they're after
2. Get to someplace high, since it's unusual for them to climb
3. If someone in your party gets bitten don't wait and hope, shoot them in the head
4. Never assume a barricade is strong enough, have enough people for sentry duty
5. Stay away from places where you can be cornered

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Don't forget though, it depends on whether they're runners or shufflers. That changes the equation dramatically.

Strike employee nearest door on head with gold brick, flee store with fan.
Hilarious rejoinder!

But seriously, under the circumstances for which you might consider hoarding gold, no "regular" stores would be open anyway, and there would be no electricity to operate a fan. There would be a barter & trade system rather than a cash society and any "markets" would be on a street corner selling pilfered goods. "Negotiating" for goods would take on a whole new meaning.

Audrey

In the past, people with portable wealth like gold (well, semi-portable) are often able to flee to an area where things aren't as bad and where the gold is valuable.

In the middle of a riot, I'd rather have a gun.
In the next state/country where things aren't so bad, I'd rather have gold.

"But it's difficult to make predictions, especially about the future."

Hmmm - I guess I need to store a vault in my motorhome. I can get to the next state as long as the roads aren't blocked and no-one tries to commandeer the motorhome. Unfortunately, in times of serious civil unrest the latter seems very possible.

If there is some advance warning of impending crisis (like there is with weather), there is plenty of time to get out.

Audrey

Hilarious rejoinder!

But seriously, under the circumstances for which you might consider hoarding gold, no "regular" stores would be open anyway, and there would be no electricity to operate a fan. There would be a barter & trade system rather than a cash society and any "markets" would be on a street corner selling pilfered goods. "Negotiating" for goods would take on a whole new meaning.

Audrey

I think that Audrey hit the hamer on the nail. I concure with her that we will see a lot of bartering. In 2001, I went to Argentina when the sh*t "yet again" hit the fan when the "temporary" president decided to not pay off its debt and created the first largest world debt default. Well, I knew then that I needed to go and start scouting for some property. While there, I can tell you it was "hell"...riots, looting, kidnappings, etc.....the gov. decided to close down the banks and freeze "ALL" deposits...people were desperate...NO CASH anywhere.....people were let go from their jobs...things were desperate. What did people do? They bartered....you could barter pretty much everything. One of my aunts who is a hairdresser bartered her services. In the city center, people gathered with tables signs that read "barter with me"....the people there included, carpenters, psychologists, architects, dentists, bakers, moms who wanted to babysit, etc. It was by far one of the most interesting times of my life....it made me appreciate being able to live in this country.

Eek that makes me want to inventory what usable skills I have to barter. :(

Will develop server software, translate Chinese, or cook really good ribs for what you've got? Sounds like I'd be hurting man.

Eek that makes me want to inventory what usable skills I have to barter. :(

Will develop server software, translate Chinese, or cook really good ribs for what you've got? Sounds like I'd be hurting man.

OK, let me try this bartering thing: I will trade you for your really good cooked ribs for my brand-new-never-even-once-used fan.

The fan appears to have blood specks from clerk noggin. No deal.

breakdown

Went thru 12 days of no power in Jan this year during an icestorm which destroyed the local electrical grid. A few observations.

You can only depend on your friends & family & whatever resources you have or can get. There will be no goverment truck dropping off gasoline, blankets, & a generator at your house. Even, though given the thousands of dollars in taxes you pay each year you might expect this it will not happen.

I had emergency cash in a safe deposit box. The particular bank where I had the box suffered addtional damage and was closed even after the power was returned. Needless to say the money there was of no use to me during the emergency.

Another bank I had money in opened their doors without power each day for 4 hours. $200 withdrawl per person per day. The cheapest generator cost $700. One gas station in town brought in a generator to run the pumps. Gas line waits were 4 hours cash only.

No power means no gas pumps work & no credit card machines. The ice took out the cell phone towers but the old timey dial phones still worked.

My wife worked at a local hospital and was able to bring hot food home every day. That and the fact we luckily had natural gas logs installed in our fireplace were the two most important survival factors for us.

I am presently researching a permanently installed natural gas powered home electrical generator system. I think I would buy one of these and stock up on food before I stashed some gold.

I'm stockpiling ammo. I'll just take the gold and food of those who stockpile it and don't have any guns. Trick is finding out who doesn't have any guns...

Better add a port-o-potty to the list. Most urban/suburban homes would be susceptible to sewer outages, or worse, backups...

Better add a port-o-potty to the list. Most urban/suburban homes would be susceptible to sewer outages, or worse, backups...

One of the many reasons its nice to have a travel trailer in the driveway.

I am presently researching a permanently installed natural gas powered home electrical generator system. I think I would buy one of these and stock up on food before I stashed some gold.
Power generation for the home is indeed a tough one. I wouldn't bet the farm on natural gas in all circumstances, as it can also be interrupted (in an earthquake they'll likely shut it off, if the technicians are on strike or can't get to work (aka bird flu) the supplies might be sporadic, and in case of general societal collapse/rioting the natural gas won't be there). But, it is true that in anything short of this, (ice storm, etc) a natural gas electric generator is a lot safer and handier than a gasoline generator.

A gasoline generator is also far from a perfect answer. Fuel will be scarce, it is hard to keep it fresh in storage, and there's no way good way to store it safely. People who think they'll use the fuel from their cars and trucks for their generator are probably not thinking things through, as that fuel in the car will be golden. I suppose you could get around the freshness issue with Sta-Bil and just burning it in your car every year or so, but what a PITA that would be. I wouldn't mind figuring out how to fit a natural gas carb to my existing gasoline generator.

If you can figure out a way to avoid high-electric use appliances (freezer/AC/heat/well pump) then a small solar setup could provide power for some very handy small-watt stuff (recharging batteries for cell phones, flashlights/cordless tools, radio, etc).

We have a gasoline generator that is big enough to run the well pump, which means it is overpowered and not efficient to run it for extended periods. The plan is to turn it on a few times a day for about an hour to refill the bathtubs and jugs with water, re-cool the fridge and freezer, recharge all the cordless tools and lanterns, and maybe run the furnace if it is really cold outside. I have a couple of small propane heaters for use inside (rated for this purpose) and lots of 1 lb propane bottles (which can safely be refilled outside from a 20 lb bottle for the grill). We also have a small propane stove for boiling water and heating up food. I think we'd be fine for a week or so, but there's no way we are set up for months of autonomous living.

Not to sound like a jerk, but doesn't storing the emergency cash in the bank defeat the purpose of having emergency cash?
It depends on the nature of the emergency. If it's just a personal emergency than funds in a bank are fine. If it's a regional emergency which shuts down bank access then yes, you need to keep cash on hand.

For most people their emergency fund is for the former case. It is perhaps a good idea to have a (hopefully smaller) amount on hand for the later case.

Audrey

on gold

the questions on what to do with gold during a long downturn - most towns will have gold/etc dealers you can bring gold to and have it exchanged into whatever local currency is available. I've read of people in Argentina keeping a bunch of gold rings (simple wedding bands) they can then bring one at a time to a dealer to exchange for currency. Easy to carry - you wear it on your finger and act like you're selling your wedding band.

Key is remember:
1. They are no longer your friends and family, it's just brains they're after
2. Get to someplace high, since it's unusual for them to climb
3. If someone in your party gets bitten don't wait and hope, shoot them in the head
4. Never assume a barricade is strong enough, have enough people for sentry duty
5. Stay away from places where you can be cornered

Would the scenario in "Mad Max" and "The Road Warrior" be more likely? These goons do not shuffle like your zombies! They are big bad bodybuilders, for crying out loud, and they are fast and hopping around like a bunch of gorillas. Don't you remember the "Lord Humungus"? Makes me want to feel the Pachmayr grip of my 357 to be sure it's still there.

How do you outrun their goonmobiles? Not in your RV! I am going to trade in my wife's SUV for a Hummer, and look into mounting a 50-cal on the roof. Need to convert one to diesel though, to be able to run it on vegetable oil if needed.

Question to ponder: would my wife want to man the gun or prefer to be the driver?

the questions on what to do with gold during a long downturn - most towns will have gold/etc dealers you can bring gold to and have it exchanged into whatever local currency is available. I've read of people in Argentina keeping a bunch of gold rings (simple wedding bands) they can then bring one at a time to a dealer to exchange for currency. Easy to carry - you wear it on your finger and act like you're selling your wedding band.

Have any idea what what I might get for an unused blood-specked fan from a gold trading Argentinian?

I'm stockpiling ammo. I'll just take the gold and food of those who stockpile it and don't have any guns.
We jest about this at work. There are two mormon guys who each have a year of food stockpiled, even a big barrel of water. I always tell them my stockpile is stored in their garage, and when the shyte goes down if they give it up quietly nobody gets hurt.

That's two years right?

Back
Top Bottom