Total Spending in 2009

I have dutifully made my best attempt to correct this downward trend and spend more in 2010, by getting my new baby this week (photo below, I just can't help showing my baby picture). OK, so I've already spent almost 150% of my 2009 expenses in 2010 and it's not even February.

Neighbor in next building over bought one of these about a month ago. He said it was 50% off MSRP. Hope you got a great deal, too. His wife is still driving her Solara. They are a two Toyota couple!

Nice car! but I thought you loved your toyota solera. I hope you didn't have a problem with the gas pedal sticking.

I did love my 2000 Solara but it was pushing 10 years old, and I was ready for the new car that I had always planned to buy when I retired. Never had any trouble with the gas pedal sticking. The Solara never was recalled, though the mats were awful about rumpling up around the gas pedal. But, I just put them back where they were supposed to be each time I got in the car. Not my problem any more, though. :D

Neighbor in next building over bought one of these about a month ago. He said it was 50% off MSRP. Hope you got a great deal, too. His wife is still driving her Solara. They are a two Toyota couple!

Gosh no, I got a reasonable deal on a great car but I didn't get anywhere near as good a deal as his 50% off MSRP (but congratulations to your neighbor!).

Gosh no, I got a reasonable deal on a great car but I didn't get anywhere near as good a deal as his 50% off MSRP (but congratulations to your neighbor!).

It has ALL the bells and whistles (alarm goes off if someone smokes in it) so my guess is there was some fluff in the price. Don't know which year either.

It has ALL the bells and whistles (alarm goes off if someone smokes in it) so my guess is there was some fluff in the price. Don't know which year either.

There is only one year of Venza, since it was new in 2009 and the 2010 models aren't out yet.

Does he like the GPS? Mine is essentially fully loaded except for the GPS since I didn't want it. According to the "most people are paying" prices listed for a loaded Venza like mine at edmunds.com, in both your area and mine most people are getting a few thousand off but are still paying about $13,000 more than 50% of the MSRP! So even if your neighbor's Venza has a lot of aftermarket stuff added to it, he still made out like a bandit and congratulation to him. Be sure to take him with you if you buy a new car there. :D

For a family of three, I'm also including Roth funding, tuition payments, RE taxes and estimated fed taxes. In southern NJ, we spent $110K in 2009.

Me, cat, dog and sixty Chickens spent $51,384. This includes a $5,000 gift/loan to a cousin and his wife who got in a a lot of trouble due to an accident just after their first child was born. They are better and got through the last two months on their own. Chickens paid their own way via the freezer.

I still drive the 95 minivan I bought to haul my kids, who are all in their 20s now. The odometer reads 150,000 miles. The engine does not burn any oil. The A/C needs a bit of Freon every year, but that is cheap and I can add it myself. The leather seats are torn, and I am wondering if it costs too much to reupholster. The CV joints start to make funny noises when the wheels are at the extreme steering angles. I looked on line to find out that replacements would cost $140 in parts. Do I do it myself, or pay to have it done to save the skin on my knuckles?

The point is I am still a frugal guy, despite owning two homes, and have spent upwards of $110K+/yr in some previous years. I guess it all depends on how each of us values what we spend our money on.

Still, it is good to know forum members realize that they cannot take it with them. Heh heh heh... At some points, one has to live at her means and not below them. May I propose another classification, ESER?

It stands for Economy-Stimulating Early Retirees! :dance: :clap:

I hadn't thought about it that way -- ewwwwww:blush:

That is for meals we don't prepare ourselves, including eating out and ordering in.

lhamo
TY for elaborating. It was killing me to contain myself and avoid making any sort of commentary on the "outbound" system. ;)

TY for elaborating. It was killing me to contain myself and avoid making any sort of commentary on the "outbound" system. ;)

Funny thing is, they do meter/charge separately for the water used to flush the toilets in our new apartment complex. So maybe I should set up a category for that!

lhamo

Outlier numbers

$326,402 total spending. Family of four with two high-schoolers. Biggest categories:

Primary House Interest $35,116
Car (needed a 3rd, got a deal on a certified used Lexus RX350) $30,884
Children (school, activities) $30,291
Travel $22,968
Primary House Utilities and Landscaping Maintenance $22,639
Second House Expenses $19,434
Medical $17,642
Primary House Taxes $15,688
Food (not including restaurants) $15,233
Second House Interest (paid off part way through year) $14,084
Charity (most giving is done through separate foundation) $12,782
Primary House Expenses $11,426

15K two people in the Midwest.

45 Birthday may have just upped my medical because of a heart attack LOL. But I guess I am giving him one too.

Haven't finalized DW's stuff yet, but looks like around $89k excluding income taxes and DW's discretionary spending. Main categories are:

Auto expense $8,300
Condo expenses $7,500
Groceries $4,800
Home maint / landscaping $12,200
Utilities $6,000
New truck, toys $30,000
Travel, dining $13,000
Real estate taxes $7,100

65k for 2 people in St. Augustine Florida 2 Cars, 1 Saturn SUV and a Porsche Turbo

Some Expenses not all:

House (Paid For) Taxes = 8k
Utilities = 2.5k
HOA & Gardening = 4k
Maintenance (Roof) = 3k
New Appliances = 10k and change
Insurance = $5k

SWR

Today is the Seventh Anniversary of my Retirement!

We spent 53K in 2009 excluding all Fed & State Income Taxes - had estimated 55K last year. Married, no debt, 2 vehicles. Paid cash for a new car this year that is not included in the 53K spending.

Retirement is Great!

JohnP

42K (single) in Silicon Valley. It will be higher this year. Planning to spend more this year.

Today is the Seventh Anniversary of my Retirement!

We spent 53K in 2009 excluding all Fed & State Income Taxes - had estimated 55K last year. Married, no debt, 2 vehicles. Paid cash for a new car this year that is not included in the 53K spending.

Retirement is Great!

JohnP
Congratulations John! :flowers:

$713k (not including taxes obviously)-over budget by $51k. Budget was a real tight one due to the state of the markets in early 2009. decided late in ythe year to loosen the purse a bit.

Danmar I think you win on the high end. You make 45 Birthday look like a cheapskate LOL.

Oh man! All we need is for Larry Ellison to discover this forum and scare us plebes.

Don't really know - ballpark under 40k everything included. Two people. 16th year of ER - ORP says I need to up it to 60-90k/yr to get it all spent if I croak at 91 or under depending on where I set the long term returns on the portfolio (between 6 to 9% for a 60/40).

Haven't really tracked spending super close post Katrina but two comments:

1. Being a really cheap SOB early on and the decade of the 90's - ER'd jan 93 really helped.

2. My 'core' food, shelter, transport, medical is low 20's so I have a lot of 'wiggle room' in retirement when Mr Market gives out those heart stopping, sphincter tightening drops.

heh heh heh - even with a historical faith in the long term - my brain 'hates' to spend in 'down' markets. :blush:.

Back
Top Bottom