turbotax & 1098-T (college expenses)

mrfeh

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is the first time I will be receiving the American Opportunity Tax Credit (for higher education expenses). I've gone through the federal deductions section of turbotax, and was not prompted for any 1098-T info.

Could somebody with experience in this matter tell me what I missed, or what I need to do?

Thanks!

PS - one additional question - the 1098-T only lists tuition expenses, while tuition/lodging/books should all be considered valid expenses. How are lodging/books expenses entered?

This is the first time I will be receiving the American Opportunity Tax Credit (for higher education expenses). I've gone through the federal deductions section of turbotax, and was not prompted for any 1098-T info.

Could somebody with experience in this matter tell me what I missed, or what I need to do?

Thanks!

PS - one additional question - the 1098-T only lists tuition expenses, while tuition/lodging/books should all be considered valid expenses. How are lodging/books expenses entered?

For the American Opportunity Tax Credit, lodging and meals are not valid expenses. See: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses for list of eligible and ineligible expenses.

Note though, that eligible expenses for 529 tax free withdrawals is different from the AOTC. Room and board, with some limitations are eligible expenses.

I am in my fourth year of doing this. The proper section is under federal, deductions and credits, education (turn on the "choose what I'll work on" to see it).

Some keys:
RE2Boys is correct that generally only tuition applies.
However if you are also taking a 529 distribution, there are other considerations.

Post if you need more details.

Thanks everybody. I'll take another trip into turbotax tomorrow and come back with any questions I may have.

Back
Top Bottom