Warning: Some Retire Early

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I read the article and it is depressing. It says that many people profess that they are going to work to 65 or later, but end up retiring earlier. And it often isn't because they are rich. There may be health problems. They may get laid off and are unable to find another job. They might not be able to keep up with their hectic job, but are unsuccessful at finding another. Etc.

Upping the Social Security age "will help the Social Security problem, but it won't help the problem of real people."

The article also says that if we want people working longer as a society, then maybe we need to increase the first eligibility age for social security above 62, so people are forced to work.

Martha said:
I read the article and it is depressing.

Yes, it is depressing. It reinforces the importance of placing yourself in a financial position that will allow you to retire early, even if you love your job and want to work until you are age 99.

REW

I met a guy hiking the other day - 62 with an artificial hip and 3 bypass operations. Works 3 nights a week as a security guard and gets 1200 per month from social security. . . but his apartment cost 1250 per month. He says "I'd be on the street if it weren't for my brother kicking in" Are we all prepared to kick in for our brothers/sisters?

Can some post a better link to the article - I get waylaid to everything but the article on marketwatch.

Martha said:
I read the article and it is depressing. It says that many people profess that they are going to work to 65 or later, but end up retiring earlier. And it often isn't because they are rich. There may be health problems. They may get laid off and are unable to find another job. They might not be able to keep up with their hectic job, but are unsuccessful at finding another. Etc.

Thats where the great stats that people who retire early get sick and die come from. Other way around

riskaverse said:
I met a guy hiking the other day - 62 with an artificial hip and 3 bypass operations. Works 3 nights a week as a security guard and gets 1200 per month from social security. . . but his apartment cost 1250 per month.  He says "I'd be on the street if it weren't for my brother kicking in"  Are we all prepared to kick in for our brothers/sisters?

Not until he gets a cheaper apartment!

Beachbumz 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom