If you retire early, you could be harming your health: new study

Bigdawg

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://www.foxnews.com/health/you-retire-early-you-could-harming-health-study

"As they grow older, many Americans begin to think about the best time to retire.

Yet a new study throws some warning signs around that decision — as retiring early could actually worsen people's health.

A recent paper published in the Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization suggests that early retirement may accelerate cognitive decline in late adulthood."

Quick, go back to work. Shut down ER.org. :LOL:

Here’s a link to the original study referenced in the news article https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0167268122004358

The conclusion as written by the study authors
Our analysis reveals a consistent story: access to program benefits reduced cognition performance among elderly beneficiaries.

In their view the problem is not early retirement, it’s receiving a pension. I guess those of us that have no pension are safe ..

Last edited:
I am definitely healthier 1.5 years into my ER; especially mentally. I'll eventually update my "freedom" post with my observations but overall I'm more grateful, patient, empathic, and content and am a better friend and family member (still looking for that special someone but I'd make a darn good partner right now too!). Physically, I am a bit more active and consistent in exercise without work getting in the way but was already pretty fit so my fitness has only marginally increased mostly due to diet but FIRE allows me to cook and enjoy it more frequently and that helps me eat well. I'm focusing a bit more on physical to meet some goals I set (which involves a lot of self-education/research on approaches to use to safely meet them). Mental challenges/engagement; I'm trying to learn guitar, I read regularly, leading the bike tours also encourages me to research and plan and is mentally engaging (there are always contingencies to deal with and I also try to customize the tour to the customer's particular interests). I'm not in "late adulthood" yet but I don't see any decline on the horizon. I'm the best I've EVER been without a soul-sucking job eating up my energy and leaving me with whatever was left after the workday/week.

YMMV and if so, go back to work and get this economy going so I have some BTD funds!

Typical of the news media to sensationalize a study entitled "Do pension benefits accelerate cognitive decline in late adulthood?" with a headline reading "If you retire early you could be harming your health".

In their view the problem is not early retirement, it’s receiving a pension. I guess those of us that have no pension are safe ..

But what about those of us receiving SS?

By that reasoning, trust fund kiddies should have a higher rate of dying young.....oh, wait a minute. Ok.

What was the question?

Last edited:
pre covid I would have thought retiring early meant less stress at job = lower chance for stroke, also lower time commuting = lower intake of smog and lower chance of getting in a car accident.

Now with so many working from home, not sure.

I play a lot of online games which I think helps the cognitive part. I also read about 10 books a month.

An interesting article, which can bring up new views on ER. I do believe ER can be a good or bad thing for people. I also believe ER will be different for each of us how we move forward in ER.

Maybe a large group of people ER with a pension, because they have health problem before ER, and die early from their job they had.

So, many things need to be taken into consideration to come up with an audit like that.

Going back to working 10+ hours/day, 5 AM and midnight calls with colleagues and employees around the world, 50+ direct reports, unrealistic corporate goals, outdated technologies and site outages…

NO WAY WAS MY EARLY RETIREMENT BAD FOR MY HEALTH - cognitive, mental, or otherwise [emoji848]

I read the article and the study (I still have enough cognitive capabilities to do both :D). My conclusions:

- The impact of a pension (and I would argue any type of regular annuity payment) impacting cognitive capability makes sense, from 2 standpoints:

1. If you do not need to work, most people focus first on leisure activities that likely do not relate to working on their cognitive capabilities. The first thought is not "great, now I have more time to read the complete works of Shakespeare, take notes, and mediate on the situations described". The first thought is "great now I can be entertained or engage in things I find fun or blow that dough!"

2. The point of "less social interaction can impact cognitive abilities" makes sense. If you are getting more than enough to live on it is easier to isolate yourself from others. During your working years opportunities for social interaction came to you, in FIRE times you more have to seek out opportunities for social interaction. One can become comfortable in isolation without making that effort, and not realize how one might be declining from a cognitive perspective.

- I would argue that perhaps there is a "shift" in cognitive abilities for many who FIRE, away from whatever profession we worked in and more towards personal financial management. I see folks actively engaged in increasing their learning of all kinds of things. Look at the threads on taking SS and Roth conversions and I Bonds and Asset Allocation and Long Term Care and savings interest rates and offers for bonuses and so on and so forth. We are still engaging, though in a different way.

- Though there may be a decline, is it permanent? For example, before I retired I knew in depth dozens of technologies, and in two weeks could build a hardware and software labs running those technologies, as well as hands-on learning materials to teach others the basics of the technologies. If you asked me today "do that again in two weeks", there is no way I could do that as I have not touched many of them for a while. However, If you said "we will give you a couple of months to get up to speed, then build such a lab", I could do it, and perhaps in a little less time given some incentive (not necessarily monetary).

- The study was based on people in rural China. My question would be, beyond their work, what opportunities did they have outside of work that would maintain or increase their cognitive capabilities? For example, was there access to education classes and learning on various topics? Sometimes the root cause might be a lack of access.

Overall, I do think it is a good caution that one should continue to engage at some level socially and mentally to keep one's mind "sharp"; but I do not think the danger is what the article and study may imply.

- The study was based on people in rural China.

Having spent time in rural China, I'd say the article is relatively useless/misleading as a comparison to the Western world.

Apples and oranges culturally, socially and infrastructure-wise.

Your other points are right on IMO.

Having spent time in rural China, I'd say the article is relatively useless/misleading as a comparison to the Western world.

Apples and oranges culturally, socially and infrastructure-wise.

Your other points are right on IMO.

IIIRC, most "old age" pensions in the rest of the world are substantially less generous in terms of replacing prior work income compared to Social Security here in the USA.

So it's plausible those pensioners in rural China probably didn't have the funds to remain socially engaged or afford activities that would continue to provide cognitive challenges in their retirement.

pre covid I would have thought retiring early meant less stress at job = lower chance for stroke, also lower time commuting = lower intake of smog and lower chance of getting in a car accident.

Now with so many working from home, not sure.

I play a lot of online games which I think helps the cognitive part. I also read about 10 books a month.

10 books a month? thats impressive...
what games do you play?
I play chess and Lumosity....not sure if they help anything

People in rural China do not have a job to retire from, they also don't have pension. You can say they "ERed" long time ago because they have not much to do in their whole life. They die early not because of ER, but because they don't have money to see doctors if they get sick, no preventive measure of any kinds also.

I guess I didn’t get the memo. I’m down 60 pounds, my blood pressure is back in the normal range and I’ve taken back up reading. We are more socially active. I’m not solving the engineering and technical problems that I did for so long, nor do I want to. My mind seems to still be going good. Check back in 10 years and see how we are doing.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Figure it out for yourself. Since ER I've lost 40 lbs, tackled cancer and still walk 3 miles a day. And I firmly believe I'm in better shape than my neighbors slugging off to work daily. On top of that I can "contribute" with DW to the wellbeing of our older and younger family members.

Did these people actually retire early? You sure can’t tell from the abstract.

Rural China, huh? Jeez!

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Figure it out for yourself. Since ER I've lost 40 lbs, tackled cancer and still walk 3 miles a day. And I firmly believe I'm in better shape than my neighbors slugging off to work daily. On top of that I can "contribute" with DW to the wellbeing of our older and younger family members.

You are making too much sense. Be careful or you may end up on my list of Dangerous Radicals Who Infest This Site. :)

Yet a new study throws some warning signs around that decision — as retiring early could actually worsen people's health.

I'll take my chances. So far for the last 20 years it seems to be working out great. My stress levels are down to about zero.

I'll take my chances. So far for the last 20 years it seems to be working out great. My stress levels are down to about zero.

Seems like a choice between cognitive decline and cardiac arrest for many. :LOL:

Since I retired at 59.5, not really early, am good, no harm to my health:D

So people with major health problems decide to retire early. OK, makes sense. Then they look at the data and conclude if you retire early it makes your health worse. What!!!

Did these people actually retire early? You sure can’t tell from the abstract.

Rural China, huh? Jeez!

According to the abstract they measured people aged 60 and above, so I think that doesn’t qualify as early retirement - unless the alternative is work ‘til you die. They had a good sample to study, as the rural pension system was implements at different times around the country.

The study also mentions an earlier US study
Using data from high-income countries (in the European Union and the United States), Rohwedder and Willis (2010) and Mazzonna and Peracchi (2012)
We discussed that study here back in ‘14 (here) . It seems to me both come to the same conclusion, which is leaving work results in lower social engagement, which in turn leads to cognitive decline.

I think it’s a spurious correlation at best.

But what about those of us receiving SS?

Darn. I guess I will be doing OK until I claim SS, then it goes down hill from there.

They are OK because you really have to use brain activity to figure out when to start it, and then figure out how to avoid tax increase.

Excuses, excuses. Once you have decided on how to claim, those braincells will go dormant.

I guess selling OTM options is beneficial for me, not just financially but mentally too.

Just sold enough today to collect more than $1500 in option premium. Heh heh heh...

Back
Top Bottom