We are entering a "Golden Period" for fixed income investing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was buying individual bonds before the thread started, but I enjoy that more of you have joined the bond train - seeing what non fund, fixed income can do, especially if you won the game.

Last edited:
Again, thank you Freedom. Your advice changed the direction of 60% of our portfolio. We are now making back the loss from bond funds and have solid gains looking to the future, following your guidance.

+1. Me too

It sounds like your point is it has not fallen enough yet. No disagreement here. I never said it had been defeated.

But it has declined sharply.

Further to my point, the Producer Price Index, a precurser to consumer pricing trends, was negative 0.3% for May, continuing a trend of low readings. It is up just 1.1% year over year.

"United States Producer Price Index (PPI) YoY"

http://www.investing.com/economic-calendar/ppi-734

Inflation appears to be on the run.

Actually, in my post I was agreeing with you. The data indicates inflation is basically back down to the Fed target range once you take into account the lagging indicator of housing. I've posted two conflicting posts in this thread, one talking about how inflation is back down, and one where there is a real scenario of higher inflation for the next 10 years.

If I were to summarize my overall thought, it would be that inflation is better off right now than the numbers indicate, which is good. However, I'm not convinced that over the next several years the federal government will really deliver 2% inflation via Fed actions. I believe the inflation number will bounce around at higher levels up and down, with an average somewhere between 2.7-4%.

Bottom line is that as bond investors it's virtually impossible to figure out an optimized investment strategy from both a bond maturity perspective, or an inflation bond vs normal bond perspective. So, it leaves a ladder as the only reasonable approach, with a bit of a coin flip on what percentage to make inflation bonds vs normal bonds.

Right now, I'm struggling to invest in TIPS, because even though the real returns are projected to be high, at the end of the day 10 year Treasuries are only at around 4%, which is not a great return as compared to other asset classes, or what they might be if rates do drift up.

Although theoretically the TIPS value should increase if rates do drift up, that is not an absolute certainty, because there could be movement in rates that are independent of inflation numbers. For example, just having higher spreads between government and corporate bonds. In that scenario the TIPS investment really doesn't pay off.

New filing from RBC that should be available shortly.

"The CUSIP number for the Notes is 78014RNU0."

"The Notes will accrue interest at the rate of 5.75% per annum."

"We will pay interest on the Notes on June 30th and December 30th of each year (each an “Interest Payment Date”), commencing on December 30, 2023, and ending on the Maturity Date."

"We may call the Notes in whole, but not in part, beginning on June 30, 2026, and on each Interest Payment Date thereafter upon 10 business days’ prior written notice. All payments on the Notes are subject to our credit risk."

Rating is A1/A outlook stable.

3 years call protection is a step in the right direction.

https://www.benzinga.com/secfilings...bank-of-canada-form424b2-0001140361-23-030305

"We will pay interest on the Notes on June 30th and December 30th of each year (each an “Interest Payment Date”), commencing on December 30, 2023, and ending on the Maturity Date."

"We may call the Notes in whole, but not in part, beginning on June 30, 2026, and on each Interest Payment Date thereafter upon 10 business days’ prior written notice. All payments on the Notes are subject to our credit risk."

Matures in 10 years. Getting there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t predict the future so I ladder. In the end for me it’s all about reasonably reliable cashflow. It’s our retirement paycheck. Going short may give me more yield, but less resiliency. Going long, more reliability, but more volatility.
Right now I am almost equally divided between short, intermediate and long with a slight bias to short. It gives us almost 1.5X the cashflow we need. I have about an 8 year duration. Taxable bonds are yielding about 6.3% - 6.6% depending on the account. Tax free just about mid 4’s. It’s not perfect, but it meets our goals.

Last edited:
I was buying individual bonds before the thread started, but I enjoy that more of you have joined the bond train - seeing what non fund, fixed income can do, especially if you won the game.

The math is very compelling right now. For every $1 million invested you can now earn:

$50,000+ per year with MM funds.
$52,000+ with T-Bills
$53,000+ per year with CDs.
$57,000 per year agency notes
$60,000 per year with the high grade corporate notes

With 100% capital protection and no market risk.

With rates continuing to rise, you can ladder and compound your interest at higher yields. With a flood of treasury's coming to market over the next several years, rates are not going back to zero.

The math is very compelling right now. For every $1 million invested you can now earn:

$52,000+ with T-Bills

With rates continuing to rise, you can ladder and compound your interest at higher yields. With a flood of treasury's coming to market over the next several years, rates are not going back to zero.

How are agency notes and corporate note 100% protected. Sorry if this has already been answered. Are they insured, kinda like CDs?

How are agency notes and corporate note 100% protected. Sorry if this has already been answered. Are they insured, kinda like CDs?

Your capital is returned at maturity or when called. The default risk is extremely low for agency notes and high grade corporate notes. Also most retail corporate notes have a survivor option whereby if the owner passes away, the notes can be redeemed at par plus accrued interest by the estate or beneficiary.

https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-income-bonds/individual-bonds/corporate-bonds/corporate-notes-program

Is it correct to say that treasuries begin paying interest from the day of purchase and that brokered C.D.'s , government agencies and retail notes begin paying interest starting on the settlement date?

Last edited:
Actually, in my post I was agreeing with you. The data indicates inflation is basically back down to the Fed target range once you take into account the lagging indicator of housing. I've posted two conflicting posts in this thread, one talking about how inflation is back down, and one where there is a real scenario of higher inflation for the next 10 years.

If I were to summarize my overall thought, it would be that inflation is better off right now than the numbers indicate, which is good. However, I'm not convinced that over the next several years the federal government will really deliver 2% inflation via Fed actions. I believe the inflation number will bounce around at higher levels up and down, with an average somewhere between 2.7-4%.

Bottom line is that as bond investors it's virtually impossible to figure out an optimized investment strategy from both a bond maturity perspective, or an inflation bond vs normal bond perspective. So, it leaves a ladder as the only reasonable approach, with a bit of a coin flip on what percentage to make inflation bonds vs normal bonds.

Right now, I'm struggling to invest in TIPS, because even though the real returns are projected to be high, at the end of the day 10 year Treasuries are only at around 4%, which is not a great return as compared to other asset classes, or what they might be if rates do drift up.

Although theoretically the TIPS value should increase if rates do drift up, that is not an absolute certainty, because there could be movement in rates that are independent of inflation numbers. For example, just having higher spreads between government and corporate bonds. In that scenario the TIPS investment really doesn't pay off.
Wasn't 100% sure but I hopefully added a bit to the discussion. I tend to agree with your view of somewhat higher LT inflation than current target for several reasons.

But with our demographics I expect we will tend to have modest growth and modest inflation.

This assumes deficit spending gets reigned in.

$52,000+ with T-Bills

I don't see a lot of high grade corporate notes yielding 6% right unless they are some banks, or BBB type securities. Plus the spreads on a lot of the bank securities between bid/ask are pretty wide in many cases. Am I missing something?

Are you referring to literal "high grade", typically meaning AA or higher? Yeah not seeing that either for corporates. I think for a lot of people, "high grade" is more subjective.

Personally I don’t go below S&P A rating for bonds 1-4 years. I don’t have any 5 year or longer right now. According to which website you see some say Moody baa and A are high grade others say AA. For me its about sleeping well v/s a higher return.

I don't see a lot of high grade corporate notes yielding 6% right unless they are some banks, or BBB type securities. Plus the spreads on a lot of the bank securities between bid/ask are pretty wide in many cases. Am I missing something?

New issues from TD Bank (rated A1) are available now and carry a coupon of 6%. There are many available on the secondary market with 6% yields or better.

Your capital is returned at maturity or when called. The default risk is extremely low for agency notes and high grade corporate notes. Also most retail corporate notes have a survivor option whereby if the owner passes away, the notes can be redeemed at par plus accrued interest by the estate or beneficiary.

https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-income-bonds/individual-bonds/corporate-bonds/corporate-notes-program

What is this “survivor option”. Seems like my very old and ill father in law should load up on a bunch of these that are selling well below par.

Thanks for any info on how to find these.

What is this “survivor option”. Seems like my very old and ill father in law should load up on a bunch of these that are selling well below par.

Thanks for any info on how to find these.

You have to be the original buyer of the notes at issue time to qualify. The vast majority of people who buy retail notes hold them to maturity just like CDs. Most rarely trade on the secondary market after the initial issue period.

https://www.benzinga.com/secfilings...bank-of-canada-form424b2-0001140361-23-030305

So almost 6% interest for at least 3 years and no risk as with equities? Yeah, I'll be getting some of that.

Switching from junior sub to senior

Hi,

I'm looking for some investment advice / ideas, a big part of my portfolio has been invested in Citi trust preferred share C-N (US1730802014), it has done great over the past 8 years since I got it, coupon now above 11% plus MtM gain and from what I understand the call risk is minimal because of an accounting issue. However, with current level of rates, I would prefer to move up the rating ladder and switch some of it into senior bond and minimum A rated. Been looking at 10y~15y maturity with minimum yield of 5.5%, debt/ebitda below 3~4 and non financial.
So far I switched into some :
- PacifiCorp US695114CL03
- South Cali Gas US842434CZ32
- Philip Morris
- Intel
But from there, I didn't find much that can look interesting in order to diversify more. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
Again, thank you Freedom. Your advice changed the direction of 60% of our portfolio. We are now making back the loss from bond funds and have solid gains looking to the future, following your guidance.
+1 for me too.

So almost 6% interest for at least 3 years and no risk as with equities? Yeah, I'll be getting some of that.

78014RNP1 RY 6.00% 6/30/2038 6/30/2025 (first call date)
89114XAL7 TD 6.00% 6/30/2028 6/30/2024 (first call date)

just a couple more for those that might be interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom