Weird message on SSA website related to estimated benefits

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just logged into my SSA account and I noticed a message that the estimated benefits information was unavailable. I clicked on the link and a message came up telling me the info wasn't available because I had recently applied for or are currently receiving SS - neither is accurate.

Is it possible I'm seeing this message because my ex has applied for SS on my record, which she is allowed to do given our 20+ year marriage?

If possible, I’d shoot them an email. You’ve got us all wondering.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's that simple but I doubt it. The message said to see my local SS office. I'll try calling them tomorrow. I definitely do not want to go to the SS office.

Btw, I already knew the following but it was good to see it 'in writing'....

I googled "does an ex spouse filing for social security affect the amount i receive" and the answer from SSA was:

If they qualify, your ex-spouse, spouse, or child may receive a monthly payment of up to one-half of your retirement benefit amount. These Social Security payments to family members will not decrease the amount of your retirement benefit.

I deleted my earlier post because I am reading conflicting information as to whether an ex can file for SS spousal benefits if the primary earner has not yet filed.

I'm just wondering if you would even be notified if an ex you had no contact with in years applied on your account.

I deleted my earlier post because I am reading conflicting information as to whether an ex can file for SS spousal benefits if the primary earner has not yet filed.

I may not be remembering this correctly - but I believe that the ex has to be of their FRA. (And old enough for this to be grandfathered in to the old rules) So if the ex wife is of full retirement age - it doesn't matter if the ex husband has filed or not.

I think I learned this when W2R was filing under her ex's record - allowing her to wait to 70 to claim on her own record.

I just logged into my SSA account and I noticed a message that the estimated benefits information was unavailable. I clicked on the link and a message came up telling me the info wasn't available because I had recently applied for or are currently receiving SS - neither is accurate.

Is it possible I'm seeing this message because my ex has applied for SS on my record, which she is allowed to do given our 20+ year marriage?

IIRC, this message (or one with very similar wording) popped up on my SSA account briefly, right after I signed up online for Medicare at age 65. I do not plan to sign up for Social Security until age 70, in four years.

Once my Medicare application was approved, the message disappeared and I was/am once again able to see my estimated SSA benefits.

Did you by any chance recently apply for Medicare?

Edited to add: I would be very surprised if any local Social Security offices are open yet; all of the ones in my area still have employees doing 100% remote work.

Last edited:
IIRC, this message (or one with very similar wording) popped up on my SSA account briefly, right after I signed up online for Medicare at age 65. I do not plan to sign up for Social Security until age 70, in four yefwas approved, the message disappeared and I was/am once again able to see my estimated SSA benefits.

Did you by any chance recently apply for Medicare?

Edited to add: I would be very surprised if any local Social Security offices are open yet; all of the ones in my area still have employees doing 100% remote work.

she just celebrated her 62nd birthday so not applying for medicare yet.

Or released from prison.

LOL. I did not press charges for that thrown steak knife. Although it hurt for weeks. Only thing I heard in 35+ years was when I needed to send divorce papers. So who knows where she is. And that is fine with me. :D

If Miss Molly chimes in, she’s the SS authority, IMHO.

LOL! Yes, a divorced person can apply for their spousal on their ex's SS even if the ex-spouse has not yet applied provided they meet all the other qualifications regarding age, length of marriage, number of years since divorced and not remarried before age 60. And of course this is assuming this benefit would be greater than their own.

I would not hesitate to find out what is going on, just in case it is some fraud going on.

I signed in Sunday and saw I could not see estimated benefits due to having filed for survivor benefits a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure I was able to see that info a couple years ago. Must be a change that happened recently.

I signed in Sunday and saw I could not see estimated benefits due to having filed for survivor benefits a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure I was able to see that info a couple years ago. Must be a change that happened recently.

Well, not all that recently. It's been a little while. When I filed for spousal a couple of years ago at age 66 I could no longer see mine. And I know it was happening before that to others. If you want to know your amount, you can login to your SS account, copy your earning record and past them in here: https://ssa.tools/calculator.html

Then fill in your birthdate and it will give you all your amounts. But note, this tool has not yet been updated with the new COLA increase for 2022.

Thank you for all the replies. I need to clarify/correct some of the info I posted just for clarification.

- I just turned 63 and am waiting until 70 to file for SS.
- The ex wife and I divorced in 2013 after a 20+ marriage.
- The ex wife just turned 62 in Nov 2021.
- My benefit amount is more than her own.

Can an ex spouse file at 62 and still receive half of their ex spouse's benefit amount?

I suspect that might be the reason I can't see my estimated benefit right now because my ex wife filed for SS after she turned 62 in Nov.

I would call SS as soon as possible, it could be that someone fraudulently applied for your SS benefits. It happened to me and it was a huge mess to clear up.

Thank you for all the replies. I need to clarify/correct some of the info I posted just for clarification.

- I just turned 63 and am waiting until 70 to file for SS.
- The ex wife and I divorced in 2013 after a 20+ marriage.
- The ex wife just turned 62 in Nov 2021.
- My benefit amount is more than her own.

Can an ex spouse file at 62 and still receive half of their ex spouse's benefit amount?

I suspect that might be the reason I can't see my estimated benefit right now because my ex wife filed for SS after she turned 62 in Nov.

If someone files at 62 they will not receive 50% of the ex spouses benefit. They will receive a reduced amount. You only receive the full 50% if you wait until your full retirement age (or later) to file.

If a person's own benefit is greater than the spousal benefit, they will only receive their own benefit as deemed filing rules apply.

I applied for SS at 66 on my ex-wife's record and she never knew a thing about it. . Why bother? It has no effect on her benefit at all. Had she asked I would have told her the truth. I saw her at one of the grand's birthday bashes and found out she is now happily collecting her own SS benefit.

Back
Top Bottom