Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Almost daily although I record and save only once a month. I also track Internal Rate of Return by investment- I can do that in 5 minutes using downloads from my 2 accounts and a spreadsheet I developed. I tend to look at it less when the market tanks!

I've been at this long enough that I don't panic at rapid drops- got through March of last year without changing a thing and most of it recovered nicely and then some. I could see that it would be a bad idea for someone who wasn't used to riding out downturns.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I update Quicken about once a week. It automatically displays the status of everything.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

The first of every month. The most watched number for me is, the number I started retirement with, compared to the number I have each month now. Not worried about where the money goes each month or how much, just also want to see that number greater and rising then the start number.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I update my net worth spreadsheet quarterly, but record any taxable interest of dividends, sales and conversions daily for tax planning.
I do look at all my accounts daily and pay off any credit card charges daily. None of this takes long.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I check my brokerage accounts pretty much daily. Itís an app on my iPad and it takes about a minute. However, at each quarterís end, I enter everything into a spreadsheet, takes about 15 minutes, and I compare it to past balances to see how things are going.
I do the same. Use an aggregator that gives me a daily snapshot and a running excel spreadsheet for historical purposes.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
The first of every month. The most watched number for me is, the number I started retirement with, compared to the number I have each month now. Not worried about where the money goes each month or how much, just also want to see that number greater and rising than the start number.
That's my most important "macro". I calculate the % change on an annualized basis. Right now my investments have gone up an average of 4.7%/year after withdrawals since my retirement 7 years ago. That reassures me my spending is sustainable.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #47

I look at some of the indexes a couple times a day and sometimes look to see what VTSAX and some of my other holdings are doing. Accounts spreadsheet gets updated once a month.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Daily when the market is going up (or my biggest stock holding goes up). Seems to be most days right now.

When the market dips I don't look for a while (until it starts to ebb back up). I am guessing in the last 20 years I probably have not gone more than 3 weeks without looking.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Couple of different things here.
I have three different accounts: my 403(b), my Roth IRA, and my taxable account.
I monitor the markets and a few ETFs most business days, mostly to see if a buying opportunity might be coming.

I log into my accounts on my smartphone apps (Vanguard and TIAA) a few times a week just to check on things and maybe to move money from checking into my taxable settlement fund or set up a limit order.

But maybe only once or twice a year do I "count my money", meaning I totalize things across all three accounts and figure my combined allocation percentages.

I'm in my ninth year of retirement and don't have a strict AA target anymore. I'm content with an increasing stock fund percentage one year to the next...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

At the end of each month I update summary information in a spreadsheet.

I also follow some tickers on SeekingAlpha, and these give me a ballpark estimate of what a big market movement means to our portfolio.

I can also open the Schwab app and see more detail for some accounts. I may do that once or twice a week, if at all.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Weird Question... How often do you count your money/assets?
Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Weird Question... How often do you count your money/assets?

This is something that I like to do. I probably do it every day or two, at the same time when I record my recent spending.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Weekly - Transfer funds to pay off credit card balances and pay off bills.

Quarterly - I update our net worth statement.

When the market shoots up, I look at personal capital, which has a proxy of our assets, to make me happy.

When the market falls down, I don't ever look.

After RE and most things are on auto, I don't look at my finances as much.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #53

I start every morning with coffee and You Need A Budget to wake up my brain by reconciling the charges that appeared overnight. Itís like Tetris. I enjoy creating order.

At the end of each day, yeah, I look at Personal Capital to see the big picture calculated on one page. We have our AUM at Vanguard, so thereís no danger of making any moves.

I was an economics major and enjoy following the macro and my micro economy in various ways, including these.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I look at the S&P and Dow most days to see what itís doing, but I only do a tally of my assets once per month.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #55

Daily--update checking account
Monthly look at online retirement/investment accounts and rebalance if out of safety bands.
Prior to retirement, I only got quarterly statements on investments and that was fine.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #56

I update my spreadsheet mostly daily as the data is real-time...so I just add a new row for the day...and paste in the EOB value into it...the date auto updates with functions so its super easy for me to keep maintained.

I actually login to accounts and such maybe once a month to true up my actuals...

I should login more often to credit card accounts and bank accounts but maybe once a week or two to check on things.

I've seen what happens when people start to stray away from the responsibilities of managing wealth and building wealth. My ole man "lost" 90k earlier this year as he just tossed mail aside... missing that his old employer's plan had been rolled over.

Alas, it was rolled over from an anchor to a solid fund and when he did find it...it had grown a bit in his favor. The angst of trying to figure out what happened for a day or two was real though. I think all of that could have been avoided tbh.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #57

I track all assets on the Vanguard web site. VG updates all their mutual funds (the only place I have equities) daily. I manually update non-VG fixed-income assets (I-Bonds, CDs, cash) at the end of each quarter after receiving statements from those institutions. Generally check the balance/AA daily, realizing that itís not completely accurate (although quarter-to-quarter changes in fixed assets are insignificant.)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #58

I use quicken - but sometimes I get busy and so don't do it every day. Maybe three times a week. I use it more to track my spending than to 'count my money'... but the Update All function imports both types of data.

Before I started using quicken it was a monthly statement kind of thing. And even after quicken my 401k was institutional funds through Northern Trust - so not available for download - but I could log on to see daily totals... I did that more frequently when the market was going up, less frequently when it was going down... on average about once a week.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Annually, during the week between Xmas and New Year. Some years we even decide to make a trade.

That said I reconcile all accounts in Quicken once a month, including investment accounts, but I really don't pay much attention to the account values except to make sure they match the statements.

I see the market news daily, but for me that is a little like being in one of those "sports" bar/restaurants where each of the TVs silently shows different bunches of people running around, usually somehow involved with a ball. I don't know who they are. I often don't know what game they're playing. But the action is distracting enough that I can't resist the temptation to look.

Interestingly, multiple behavioral finance studies have shown frequent checking of accounts to be negatively correlated with investment results. The hypothesis is that humans' risk aversion causes the seeing of frequent "down" events to have more impact than the "up" events, leading the investor to sell when they shouldn't. I have also read that Schwab's robot will monitor customer logins and may warn customers something like "successful investors don't monitor their accounts as closely as you have been checking." So I guess Schwab has the data, too.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #60

I check my Vanguard account and my checking account almost daily while I am drinking my coffee. Have done so for years. Only takes a few minutes.