Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #161
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm curious as to why anyone would check everyday. It doesn't seem actionable.
I check in almost every day because, in past decades I have found that when I didn't watch my investments that closely, those who make the day to day decisions about the monies for me, don't pay as much attention to earnings as I want them to.

The best defense against that problem is to educate yourself so you understand what is going on, and talk people who manage the money frequently so they know you have expectations.

My growth has been beyond my expectations since I took this approach, and of course it helps that we finally responded to Covid and the country is on a growth track again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsun View Post
I check in almost every day because, in past decades I have found that when I didn't watch my investments that closely, those who make the day to day decisions about the monies for me, don't pay as much attention to earnings as I want them to.

The best defense against that problem is to educate yourself so you understand what is going on, and talk people who manage the money frequently so they know you have expectations.

My growth has been beyond my expectations since I took this approach, and of course it helps that we finally responded to Covid and the country is on a growth track again.
That is a very interesting perspective. So, your money manager only makes you money when you hound them?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is, for a guy like me who sells option contracts daily.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

I have totaled net worth 6/30 and 12/31 and calculate % up or down for years and check investments almost daily unless I am traveling. Glad I am not the only one and this just shows early retirees are very much planners.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
I have totaled net worth 6/30 and 12/31 and calculate % up or down for years and check investments almost daily unless I am traveling. Glad I am not the only one and this just shows early retirees are very much planners.
You mean checkers, not planners.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You mean checkers, not planners.
Some of them are just checkers, but a few of them are traders.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As an index fund investor, I check the direction of futures and occasional intraday numbers of the index, but only because it's on a widget on my phone's home screen. Come to think of it, I should remove that really.

I update a spreadsheet monthly which calculates how much our net worth has risen along with the average monthly rise over the last 2 years. I do not include our two financed vehicles in this figure.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
As an index fund investor, I check the direction of futures and occasional intraday numbers of the index, but only because it's on a widget on my phone's home screen.
which has led me to wondering today why I have 50k in cash. It just sort of crept up there (as did my liquid net worth). It's now 5% of my Schwab acct
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post

I update a spreadsheet monthly which calculates how much our net worth has risen along with the average monthly rise over the last 2 years. I do not include our two financed vehicles in this figure.
Heh, heh, I don't include our two paid-for vehicles. SWAG is they have gone up significantly since the recent unpleasantness. That might make the Buick worth $1500 and the Toyota worth $6500. Since I would only have to replace any car sold, I don't even think of cars (my cars) as adding to NW. Just my approach. Those with a new (paid off) Bugatti or even a new Vette would probably think otherwise. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #170
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a spreadsheet that I update monthly that has things like previous 12 months expenses, withdrawal rate of initial balance and of current balance, 12 month and total returns. I update it once a month, but I look at it much more often. I'm going to switch to updating that to once a year in the hopes that I will look at it less often.

I've been retired for 5 years now and am in a good place financially (as is almost everyone who retired 5 years ago, I imagine). If the market or the world makes a big enough move to force me to make major changes to my spending then that news will be on the front page of every newspaper. I won't need to be updating spreadsheets every month to notice.
Hubcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once a quarter....I note it down old school...pen and paper
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But, but... I want to KNOW!!!

I mean really, to make an analogy, why would I go around with a black hood over my head, so to speak, when I can remove it and see all the light and colors around me.

Another analogy could be drawn between this habit and my habit of recording and adding up all my spending every month. I never spend even half of what FIRECalc says I could, so it's not like this is keeping me from begging with a tin cup down on the street corner. But I just want to KNOW how I'm doing with my spending!!!
Old 08-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I mean really, to make an analogy, why would I go around with a black hood over my head, so to speak, when I can remove it and see all the light and colors around me.

Another analogy could be drawn between this habit and my habit of recording and adding up all my spending every month. I never spend even half of what FIRECalc says I could, so it's not like this is keeping me from begging with a tin cup down on the street corner. But I just want to KNOW how I'm doing with my spending!!!
Same here in terms of just want to know where the dollars are going. Short term spending decisions are not made on this concept.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #174

I am working to NOT look at the whole picture except on that chosen day of the month. Bank accounts, I am in there paying bills and naturally look at deposits, but the other assets I leave alone.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Daily - even Sundays when most financial institutions don't post anything - using Quicken for Mac. Some days it motivates me to look into other sites that update periodically like mySocialSecurity, or Zillow.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #176

Still working and accumulating. I check all investments, bank balances and credit cards daily. I don't seem to be one of those people that get upset with the ups and downs of the stock market. I keep investing. I only have 13 accounts to check and it doesn't take that long. I also send a spreadsheet to my husband every Friday letting him know the totals of the investment and bank accounts. That is all he is interested, the bottom line. I started doing that hoping he would show some interest in how I was investing our money. We are doing well so I get an "atta girl" once in a while.

As someone else stated they entered all their other banking and investment accounts into their "full view" or whatever it's called at Vanguard. None of your other account numbers are used. You manually update cash balances (deposits, withdrawals, etc) and Vanguard updates all other info. using number of shares and the market price per share. I don't use Vanguard but Fidelity and Charles Schwab have the same thing. So if you want to see a daily quick look at all investing and banking you can use one of these tools.
I enjoy looking at the numbers and take a quick look at each individual stock to see what's going on.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I let Quicken count for me everyday, after all MFs have reported their NAV.

And I usually click on "download all accounts", in order to have Quicken download any dividend payouts, any trade I made, plus any charges that are incurred on my bank cards, payments my wife made off the checking account.

So, I guess you can say I count my money daily. No need to do any expense planning or budgeting, as I have been retired for quite a few years and there's no change in expenditures other than they keep going down.

ME 2
RHONDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #178

Count?

Usually when triggered by a thread like this. It's more of a back of an envelope thing, rounding down account totals, adding and getting a ballpark number.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Good one!

Me too!
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote