Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What percentage are you down so far?
Down 0% to -10% 107 33.86%
Down -11% to -20% 155 49.05%
Down -21% to -30% 50 15.82%
Down -31% or higher 4 1.27%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2020, 04:13 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

No stocks or bonds, 5 yr CD's averaging 3.25%.
30+ yrs in the market was enough for me.
Found out I didn't mind at all missing out on big gains.
But had trouble with losses. Different strokes.
Am laughed at during normal times. Found out I dont mind that either.
When things are normal, will hear again how inflation will be the ruin of me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 04:16 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Better than I expected, down just under 13%. Moved some to cash before the biggest down days, and my bond ETFs performed well enough. Was 50s/20c/30b, now 32s, 49c, 19b. Retired. Picking up some stocks I like in the dips, not planning to lower my stock percentage.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 AM   #103
Dryer sheet aficionado

Down about 10%. I redid my asset allocation in the fall to 50/50.
leyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #104
Administrator

IRR -9.6% as of Q1 end.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Down 17%; was 70% in equites before the Stuff hit the fan. I knew that was aggressive and was working to gradually decrease that but the market took care of that for me.

In down markets I track the values monthly and try not to stress about the changes in the meantime, although I do watch the overall indices. I've been through bad markets before and the good stuff recovers. Long-term models show that my withdrawals are sustainable even with the occasional bear market "correction".
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Updated my net worth. Down 8.34% YTD.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:58 AM   #107

I calculate my net worth monthly and just got done updating for EOM March. From my high water mark Dec 31, I am down 22% today. Not as bad as I expected I might be. Other than a little bit of cash (~5%), I'm 100% equities -almost all indexed. Actual investment returns would put me a bit lower as I have been continuing to save a fair portion of my income.

Looking at the short term is painful but looking at the longer chart of my NW it is a nice pretty exponential curve even with the current turmoil caused by the other exponential curve the news keeps showing. I guess my portfolio has gone viral!
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I calculate my net worth monthly and just got done updating for EOM March. From my high water mark Dec 31, I am down 22% today. Not as bad as I expected I might be. Other than a little bit of cash (~5%), I'm 100% equities -almost all indexed. Actual investment returns would put me a bit lower as I have been continuing to save a fair portion of my income.

Looking at the short term is painful but looking at the longer chart of my NW it is a nice pretty exponential curve even with the current turmoil caused by the other exponential curve the news keeps showing. I guess my portfolio has gone viral!

Nice rally last week. Thinking about taking some off the table with your retirement pending this year?

Valuations today are where they were in December 2018. Do you think we had a better economic outlook for the next year or two in December 2018 or April 2020?
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 13% ytd on liquid investments. I figure both main home and investment property are completely unmovable at any price for a while so this isn’t a true “net worth” calculation. Our expenses are at 3.3% of liquid assets - I will take that ratio.
Dd852 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Down 12.5% YTD
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:54 AM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
No stocks or bonds, 5 yr CD's averaging 3.25%.
30+ yrs in the market was enough for me.
Found out I didn't mind at all missing out on big gains.
But had trouble with losses. Different strokes.
Am laughed at during normal times. Found out I dont mind that either.
When things are normal, will hear again how inflation will be the ruin of me.
Yeah, I get that. DW and I (more DW) lost our nerve for the stock markets back in late 2017, early 2018. Got out before things got ugly late 2008/early 2009. Took several years (early 2017) before our bond and TIPS funds and cash lagged what a 60/40 portfolio would have during that time. Started falling behind the last three years until last month. Now, I think we're close again.

Up 0.83% YTD (down 0.22% for March 2020). Similar to your 3.25% CDs for the year. Performance would be better if it weren't for DODIX in my wife's 401(k) account (really need to move it to an IRA). Just like in mid 2008, DODIX is getting whacked again.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Nice rally last week. Thinking about taking some off the table with your retirement pending this year?

Valuations today are where they were in December 2018. Do you think we had a better economic outlook for the next year or two in December 2018 or April 2020?

No, I'm actually going longer.. as I've already made the decision to delay till the end of the year to see how 2020 shakes out, I've bumped my TSP contributions to max out (was just getting the match as I built cash to fund my first 12-20 months). I also picked up some more shares of TJX (one of the few individual stocks I own) when it was down with a bit of my free cash. I'm still building some cash reserves but have all year to save the same amount so the rest is going into the market. Even if I was inclined to reallocate, I am still sitting on CG I would realize in my taxable account so I'd be locking in this decline plus paying taxes to pour salt on the wound! TSP is longer term so I have no need to be more conservative with it - even when I decide to start SEPP withdrawals the amount will be very low as a % of the balance as I'm still in my 40s and will use life expectancy so my SEPP income increases as I age/portfolio grows.

I am more optimistic now as I thought the market was pretty frothy. Really comes down to how the economy behaves as people are allowed to live again... until we see the impact it is hard to say if stocks are more conservatively priced. I'm hopefully optimistic that people will get back to work and spending when they can and that there will be some pent up demand from being stuck at home to act as a bit of a surge to get things going!
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

About 75% of my holdings are in two managed portfolios at Fidelity. I had a long talk with my advisor yesterday. He stated that they have been gradually reducing stock exposure by about 10% starting in mid 2019 as they saw an end cycle correction coming. This somewhat softened the blow when the market took a crap in February. This week I saw a slew of trade confirmations come through which he said is a move to re-balance portfolios which are buying up some bargains and take the opportunity to position the portfolios for gains when the market eventually recovers.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
About 75% of my holdings are in two managed portfolios at Fidelity. I had a long talk with my advisor yesterday. He stated that they have been gradually reducing stock exposure by about 10% starting in mid 2019 as they saw an end cycle correction coming.
Have you fact-checked what he said about "gradually reducing stock exposure"? Did he miss that great run-up in last half of 2019?

I'll state it bluntly, the run-up since the start of the last half of 2019 was more than 15% total return, so that softened the blow, too. As reported by folks in this thread, many have not lost 15% yet.

My point is that sales reps are pretty good at mind games.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #115
Dryer sheet aficionado

Down about 8% as of this morning YTD - 10% all time high (Feb 14 or so).

Selling today and remaining out 10/90 stocks/cash until the day the US claims the curve is flattened. Going to take some of the gains over last few days and get back out.
Have some stop losses in today which will likely get met with the futures down 3-4%.

My opinion is we are not going to get a significant sustainable rally until we get some good news. Not day to day good news but very good news such as a flat curve with some hopeful science that this is on it's way out and not likely to come back to any significant degree in the near future. I think that is not any time soon (month or more). JMO.

Once I get back in changing allocation permanently to about 30-70. A bit sick and tired of this. I need to get better educated on individual bond investing (funds seem vulnerable).

Any good threads on individual bond investing?
mijoy is offline   Reply With Quote
What percentage are you down so far?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

What percentage are you down so far?

Down 9.94% (50/50)
KarenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #117

Down 9.65% in retirement accounts and 8.2% overall (YTD).
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 AM   #118

Down 8% YTD for the first quarter, down about 10% from my peak. Currently at 30/46/24.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

We're down 17% YTD, but had a gain of over 31% last year on our IRA, which is all stocks and mutual funds, and no bonds. Our rentals continue to bring a healthy monthly return and only one of our tenants will be unable to pay their full rent for April because he was laid off by the restaurant where he cooks. But his wife is still working. They wanted to pay half, so we're forgiving the rest for April. We'll work with all our tenants on individual terms as we move through this crisis. We sold some Google stock in early February--not at the peak of over $1500 a share--but much higher than the current $1118. So no cash flow worries at present.

If we were still working, we'd be considering the stock market a buying opportunity.
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

I really don't know yet. We were in the process of rolling everything over to Fidelity from Wells Fargo and Prudential and we finished that up yesterday. We will be able to see our accounts in 2-3 days according to our advisor. We were down from approx. 600k end of Feb. to 500k that went in to Fido. DW keeps asking if I'm sure we will be ok. I don't know but I just hope. He is going to have us both in a 50/50 allocation. We will see.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote