Votes: 107 33.9%
  • Down -11% to -20%

Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
If I were in the market, I would bail on this bounce.
Next couple months will see Major bankruptcies etc.
This is the 1st domino in the series. History will see this as a financial crisis.
Rather than an epidemic. Based on the number of losses between the two.
Still waiting for it to catch up with 2019's USA flu deaths /34,000.
[MOD EDIT].

If you are that good then why not short sell the market ? I have been in the equity market for over 25 years and have not loss $1 dollar yet ?

Last edited by a moderator:
On 1/1/20, our AA was roughly 60/34/6 (that may not be precisely right, but is close). Today, our AA is about 60/36/4. In between those two dates, our equity piece dipped down to about 56%; it has since rebounded due to the market rebound and shifting some cash over.

YTD and measured against the portfolio value on 1/1/20 and using the value on that date as the baseline, we are down 4.7%*

Measured from the date when the portfolio peaked (2/19/20) and using the value on that date as the baseline, we are down 7.5%*

Measured over the past 12 months, we are up 7.3%*

Our portfolio value yesterday (4/17/20) was where it was on 10/14/19; viewed that way, we are back where we were last Halloween, give or take. So if this is the Great Depression version 2.0, it doesn't seem catastrophic from a market value point of view for a balanced portfolio. And of course, the bottom could fall out on Monday.*

*Note: These percentages are not precise because we have continued to make monthly investments

I just got back up over $1.5M, which is -9% since the start of the year. Some of the drop (~$30k) is due to paying income taxes on large cap gains at the end of 2019, and an unrelated one-time expense I expect to recover by the end of this year.

MOD NOTE - some posts have been deleted and some edited. We are not going to argue politics or purported media bias.

-4.661618062 YTD
-6.508579336 All Time High

percent - I calculate it every day.

Pretty happy with this. Sitting on about 35% stocks now. I'll likely not move from here for a while.

I just went from nearly all cash (35/65) to some bond holdings (via a fund FUAMX). I sure hope this wasn't a mistake. I understand this will likely fall when interest rates take a hike but I do not see that happening for a while. I am just hoping it does better than my money market fund would have done as we move forward. It was a substantial purchase.

My thought is that you need an allocation that doesn't keep you at night.

For me, I use the (100 - my age) rule of thumb formula as for what percentage to keep in equities. That way, I don't let my fear and greed get in the way. I focus on the math percentage calculation and not what happens externally. Plus, I save a phone call not having to call someone to calm me down :D.

Easysurfer, that was great advice; thank you very much.

Only time will tell. Very heavy real estate. Rentals, short term discounted notes. In good stock market years, I under perform, in bad stock market years, out perform.

One borrowers spouse said that I should forgive interest during this time. I am curious as to what will happen with my rentals and rent. Will the bank forgive or defer my mortgage(s) on the rentals?

Tough to say where I will be in a few months, if real estate prices drop significantly, then, yes, I'll take a loss.

Just checked ... it has been a couple months... Up 6.27% after living expenses. Mostly non correlated assets.

My thought is that you need an allocation that doesn't keep you at night.

For me, I use the (100 - my age) rule of thumb formula as for what percentage to keep in equities. That way, I don't let my fear and greed get in the way. I focus on the math percentage calculation and not what happens externally. Plus, I save a phone call not having to call someone to calm me down :D.

Isn't this equivalent to the common, "age in bonds" many (including me) use for an AA? I do this for my rollover IRA, not for my taxable account because I have an income generation goal.

Our NW is up 2.718% YTD as of today. Thanks to rental property, property sales contracts and a few loans mostly. Heavy amount of cash in CDs and saving accounts that probably average under 2%. Stocks were at our all time high on 6/8, but oh how the mighty have fallen! Quarterly taxes have been paid. Cat is fed. We both tested negative for Covid Tuesday. Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom