Votes: 107 33.9%
  • Down -11% to -20%

Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Short term outperformance of stock indexes can unfortunately provide a false sense of comfort that assumes having a low equity position is the right away to invest.

If one has a long term time horizon and wants /needs growth having high equity exposure will put you in a much better position of achieving those goals. The volatility you experience is the emotional price you pay for excellent long term returns.

"The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient." - Warren Buffett
This is good advice for someone investing for retirement. Once one is retired with a decent amount accumulated, the goals shift from predominantly long term to definitely some of it short term. Not everyone is looking to hand their life Invested savings to the next generation or wanting to die with more or having their largest income when they are oldest.

This is good advice for someone investing for retirement. Once one is retired with a decent amount accumulated, the goals shift from predominantly long term to definitely some of it short term. Not everyone is looking to hand their life Invested savings to the next generation or wanting to die with more or having their largest income when they are oldest.

+1

Once you reach a certain age "long term horizon" is subject to mandatory redefinition.

Break even year to date. My stock allocation has been very low since mid 2018 at which point I started adding gold, which has been helpful.

I am up 3.5% YTD. I usually have a portfolio of 25% stocks, 25% 20 year treasury bonds; 25% gold and 25% cash but went to 35% cash in mid-January when I started hearing there could be supply chain issues due to the coronavirus. Gold has been very helpful.

+1000

Up 25%. Shorted the market in Feb.

Joking.... up 1% ytd. 5 yr CD's ave 3 1/2%.

I'm down about 4% from my high, whenever that was. I moved a bunch of money to Money Market yesterday. I'm in a financially secure place, and decided I wanted some peace of mind at least thru the end of the year. Then I'll revisit. I see the many posts of people here who view down markets as buy opportunities, but I don't have the guts. I sleep better doing it this way.

This year is going quite well so far for my brokerage account thanks to the most innovative carmaker in the world called "Tesla". YTD my account is up 26.24% as of yesterday (it's up a little more today). Over the past 1 year, it's up 68.83% as of yesterday.

I don't trade often but I do try heavily weight in positions that I think have the lowest risk and biggest chance for future growth. I've been doing this for 30 years (and retired for 20) so it's good that it's working out even in the age of Coronavirus. I'm of the opinion that most financial advisors couldn't advise themselves out of a haunted house.

Less than 2% as I bailed early. Now looking to buy stocks and ETFs that will sustain us for another 15-20 years. DD warned me not to be too quick on the trigger as she believes that the market hasn't bottomed yet.

I never know everything until the statements come in the mail. Usually a week after month end, so even then what it was a week ago. During this crazyness it fluctuates rapidly and so I know something but not everything.

From the peak to the low, I was down $155,000 (at 55% in the market). Now it's at about $75,000 down. I don't care. It's only on paper. Like Arnold... It will be back!

Down 3.18% year to date as of today. Back to November 1, 2019 level. 50/50 asset allocation, rebalancing as required by my investment policy statement.

Last edited:
Down 3.18% year to date as of today. Back to November 1, 2020 level. 50/50 asset allocation, rebalancing as required by my investment policy statement.

Down 6.4% YTD. Also 50/50 but we have some international exposure.

As of today, down 3.0% YTD (after rebalancing on 3/23 due to my AA being off kilter).

Honestly I have no idea what the market will do now, or ever. Whatever it does, as always my plan is to do nothing other than rebalance if/when required by the rebalancing "rules" I set down for myself in my written financial plan.

My stock portfolio peaked on 1-17-20

Had it's lowest point on 4-1-20 when it was down by 27.4% .
Today 4-18-20 it is down 14.4%.

That's a market nice move in two weeks!

My total portfolio was down 20.1% on 4-1-20

My total portfolio is down 10.4% today 4-18-20

If I were in the market, I would bail on this bounce.

Still waiting for it to catch up with 2019's USA flu deaths /34,000.
Bail and go where?

2018-2019 flu deaths took how many months? CV 19 took 4 weeks. We're not done yet.

The dow goes up, the dow goes down; it always has. The cause of the current volatility is obvious; the effect(s), however, are not.

My opinion: to pull out of stocks, you'd have to know where the bottom is & know when to get back in...seems like a pretty arrogant approach to me.

Back
Top Bottom