Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
1-2 percent reits.
About the same, through TIAA Real Estate account.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 07:45 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

about 25% in rental properties
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

25% not counting home and vacation mountain property.

What I like about rentals is the increased value is tax deferred .

What I don't like about rentals is because the increased value is tax deferred you can't sell them. Current tax today in California (with fed) would be 30% of sales price...ouch
Old 04-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
...watching over rental problems in retirement is just too much like having a job. It's not like retiring when you have to go handle a plumbing problem on a Saturday night.

So if you're going to have rental properties, own them in your 40's and 50's. When you get ready to retire, it's time to liquidate those properties, pay the capital gains taxes and keep your life simple.

How much it resembles a job depends on whether you pay for property management ó and on the age of the building(s) and whether youíre managing residential or commercial space.

RE has been great for us. 10% of our portfolio. We think of that income as our pension.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Down to about 3% now. Sold one rental last year. Got an offer too good to refuse last year.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #66

About 24%.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #67

Quote:

That's great, but watching over rental problems in retirement is just too much like having a job. It's not like retiring when you have to go handle a plumbing problem on a Saturday night.

So if you're going to have rental properties, own them in your 40's and 50's. When you get ready to retire, it's time to liquidate those properties, pay the capital gains taxes and keep your life simple.
Or hire a property manager and it is as hands-off as you want.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy free View Post
How much it resembles a job depends on whether you pay for property management ó and on the age of the building(s) and whether youíre managing residential or commercial space.

RE has been great for us. 10% of our portfolio. We think of that income as our pension.
Depends on how much RE you have...if only a handful of SFRs hiring a property manager can wipe out your profit margin.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Depends on how much RE you have...if only a handful of SFRs hiring a property manager can wipe out your profit margin.
I concur. I have some SFR and some multifamily. We outsource multifamily management and still see good return on equity. But decent ROE on SFR requires self-management and we have been fortunate to have good tenants all along. The trick is to buy good SFR in good neighborhood and do good screening then you get good talents. And like lot of landlords have said, RE has been very, very good for us. We won't be even halfway on out FI journey without them. But hands on RE is NOT for everyone and it IS a job. There is a reason for high returns because there is high effort and high risk involved. Like everything else in life, there is no free lunch.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #70

99% ... vaction rentals and some inner city SF
Old 04-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #71

Quote:
I have a friend that's an ex-CEO of a 1000+ person company. He's also a very active and successful day trader.

Out of all successful people he knows, just about every one of them had rental properties. And they let others pay for their assets with rental payments. My buddy had about a dozen rental properties.

That's great, but watching over rental problems in retirement is just too much like having a job. It's not like retiring when you have to go handle a plumbing problem on a Saturday night.

Or hire your Daughter and Son in law as property maintenance managers. They're gonna inherit them anyways, so let them be involved in their upkeep and maintenance. Once they're paid for, you need expenses to tweak your income.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

25% of total investment portfolio is in rental real estate. That doesnít include my primary residence or the vacation house (which also generates a tidy profit on AirBnB when we arenít there.)

Basically my rental properties cover all my fixed living expenses so my WR is only 1% for everything else. While I earned a good living I my career the big money came from buying, fixing and selling real estate. Rental properties average annual return is 6% and appreciation in the past 10 years adds another 5%. Sometimes much much more if I bought well or improved the properties properly. All bets are off for what last year and this year will mean Real Estate..

One word to the wise on rental properties. You arenít buying things to suit your taste, or what or where you would want to live, but something where the numbers work and there is a demand from tenants.
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just under 1.5% of investable assets.

Home represents 15% of net worth.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

6% spread internationally
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #75

I am trying to diversify to 25% Equities, 25% Bonds, 25% income producing real estate and 25% Foreign Cash Investment and Precious Metals. Mainly because I expect high inflation might kick in. The government is borrowing, printing and spending money like crazy...which is inflationary. I still remember the government refused to raise taxes to pay for the Vietnam War so inflation kicked in the 1970's.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...-inflation.asp
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

10% in Single family rentals
5% in RE Syndication (multi-family, commercial)

15% total

Our RE holdings provide diversification, a relatively steady, inflation protected income stream (rentals) and opportunity for growth (syndication).
TrophyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Used to own several rental properties, sold them, but still carrying 12 notes.
One SFR, will sell it when the current (good) tenant moves out.
Have $ in 6 private REIT's, 14 Multi-family & Self-Storage syndications, 3 HML/Debt Funds, and 6 commercial property LP's. A few personal loans using RE as collateral. All are approx 65% of investable assets.
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

95% almost all in secured first position notes diversified across 5 states and 25 properties. Have generated approx 14% every year for the past 10 years ..
HaveEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Same here
Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Same here

Also have about 10% of retirement accounts in REITs.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #80

Zero.

I used to have REITs but once l started doing my own taxes it was a pain so I got rid of them.

We were landlords once and it didnít go well - lost lots of money and nightmare tenants-
so we got rid of the condo.

We own our primary residence and thatís it.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote