Whos got dry powder?

Were going green. As in greenacres is the place for me. Fine livin is the life for me.

I'm a 100/0 guy. All stocks. All day.

Oh, I also have $100k of dry powder cash. :) :) :)

No dry powder here. Fully invested. Will buy on the next payday.

Rebalancers dollar cost averagers. People with no dry powder. People with dry powder but most likely won't use it. Then there's the institutions with machine managers who set the stage for sell offs & rallies.

Did Bezos Buffet & Dimon precipitate the stock correction with their new healthcare company? Are they creating a Walmart healthcare system for the 99 percenters?

No, no, no. That's market timing. Also, there's the one about not trying to catch a falling knife. Lastly, and this is NOT a prediction, if you bought at the same % down from the peak in 2007, you would have lost over half at the bottom in 2009. Just sayin'.

No market timing.

So, in the interest of doing my part to boost the market, I just moved $50K of cash into VTSAX and VTIAX. You are welcome!:)
But here is a question that I may have known about but forgot. Why does Vanguard (and most brokerages) take so long to execute a mutual fund purchase? I am a Vanguard customer purchasing a Vanguard fund. Placed purchase order at 11:30 this morning, but won't know until maybe tomorrow what the executed price is.

So, in the interest of doing my part to boost the market, I just moved $50K of cash into VTSAX and VTIAX. You are welcome!:)

But here is a question that I may have known about but forgot. Why does Vanguard (and most brokerages) take so long to execute a mutual fund purchase? I am a Vanguard customer purchasing a Vanguard fund. Placed purchase order at 11:30 this morning, but won't know until maybe tomorrow what the executed price is.

Because mutual funds are priced after the market closes. I bought VTI and VEU, same funds but the ETF version and I got confirmation within 30 seconds.

All mutual fund trades execute after the close of business when that day's share price is determined.
+1
These are batch processes. Despite what you see during the day, funds are still priced after the close.

Answer: Everyone?

but,

Who's going to use it?

Answer: Very few who are in the distribution phase, but a bigger fraction of those who are in the accumulation phase.

I just looked at my Quicken screen, which adds up the cash I have spread out among my accounts. Looks like I can plow several hundred K's into the market, and still have enough cash to live on for a few years without selling anything, and that remainder would last a decade easy if I draw SS early. Would I dare?

Say, if the market drops 20% and I am willing to bet that it will rebound quickly, that bet will make me some extra money. Is that money worth the worrying if the market turns bearish, and drags on and on?

Not easy to answer, even though after a market rout I always kick myself for not going "all in". Audacious market timing may bring generous rewards. But on the other hand, as Steven Wright has allegedly said:

"Eagles may soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines"

Last edited:
Yes. The box in the back is full of W231.

20180206_162744.jpg

I got a lot of dry powder but not buying at this time and going to use it to live on in down times.

View attachment 27763
Prefer H-4831 for my rifles and 110 and Red Dot for most pistols but I do use W231 at times. If you've been around reloading for any length of time you'll understand it when I say, I still have a few pounds of the original h-4831. Still good!

But back on topic, I bought in Friday and Monday for well into the six figure range each day. But not today. Couldn't catch the bouncing balls like I wanted.

I usually just use Yahoo to track and alert me for my watch/want list and then log on to my broker when I want to trade. (only takes a min or so) Yahoo finance usually keeps up pretty close but not today with the market moving so fast. Often the Dow Avg was more than 100+ points off on Yahoo finance from the actual current market....

:LOL: Come to think of it I have Clays, VV310, WST, and a jug of some kind of Hodgden rifle powder.

[emoji23] Come to think of it I have Clays, VV310, WST, and a jug of some kind of Hodgden rifle powder.

+1
Somewhere around here there's a big jug of Bullseye. Dirty, accurate, and cheap.

If my 2018 spending is as usual, I've got 40k left over to invest if the markets crater. Otherwise, I'm happy with the somewhat defensive moves made in Oct. Seventy six percent of my IRA equities are now in 2 funds. Combined balances are up 3% YTD. It's WAY too early to know if that was a good move. I'll monitor as the quarterly statements arrive.

We have more cash on hand than we've ever had but it's still a relatively small percentage of total portfolio. We've been rebalancing from time to time over the last few years but we find ourselves feeling a bit lopsided recently. We do plan to trim a few more things when the opportunity presents itself.

Overheard on the Mad Money show a few days ago : 'the machines were triggered to selloff overseas'. I was miffed to see how Europe/Asia mirrored the USA's pattern, but I guess that shows the true influence the USA has on the rest of the world. Or at least the influence 'the machines' have over the rest of the world. Dow Theory Forecasts newsletter
recently said '$234 billion flowed into international mutual funds and ETFs last year, while domestic stock funds saw outflows of roughly $39 billion, according to Investment Company Institute'.[whoever that is]

Sufficient dry powder but I don't see this as a sale any more than it was a few months ago when the prices were the same. This is just a blip. I'll wait for the "Blue Light Specials" before I consider more purchases. Of course age and health is a big part of decision making. Sometimes buying more stock can just be seeing how much a person can accumulate before buying the farm. Bulls, Bears, and Pigs.

Cheers!

Bonuses get paid here next Thursday. All mine is planned for S&P500 index fund. Drop , baby, drop.

Sufficient dry powder but I don't see this as a sale any more than it was a few months ago when the prices were the same. This is just a blip. I'll wait for the "Blue Light Specials" before I consider more purchases. Of course age and health is a big part of decision making. Sometimes buying more stock can just be seeing how much a person can accumulate before buying the farm. Bulls, Bears, and Pigs.

Cheers!

exactly where I'm at with this. When we hit these numbers on the way up I didn't think they were bargains.

Back
Top Bottom