Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Schwab for IRAs, and Vanguard for taxable investment accounts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
We have a good Schwab rep who deals quickly with questions and administrivia. That is key. IIRC he recently told me that the new Schwab threshold for assigning a named rep to a customer is $1M in the customer/household accounts. At that level you are also a "pinnacle" customer and get what is claimed to be higher priority telephone service.
I have small brokerage accounts at FIDO and TDAmeritrade. Also most of my IRA funds split between both companies. Before the TD/Schwab merger, I opened a brokerage account at Schwab to take advantage of a bonus. When TD is merged into Schwab, I won't have enough there apparently to have a named rep although I've had that at both TD and FIDO. I'm guessing at that point I'll do my final consolidation at one or the other.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:10 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Over time I have used Schwab, Fidelity, E-Trade, and Vanguard as online brokers. I am not entirely sure about Vanguard but the first 3 all offer zero commission trades and provide good platforms. I do not think you could go wrong with any of those four, it might depend on which user interface you like the best (which changes over time) or which perks are most valuable to you.

For example Schwab, Fidelity, and E-trade all offer on-line bank/checking accounts but I believe Schwab and Fidelity have better ATM card services. To be clear I am not sure what E-trade offers with its online bank account but years ago it was not as good as what Schwab and Fidelity offer now.

E-trade was recently bought by Morgan Stanley, and there is still consolidation going on as well as upstarts like Robinhood. The continuing changes are worth keep tabs on.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #44

Well, my broker is E.F. Hutton, and E.F. Hutton says…
Old 03-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

schwab since 95. I have used almost all their products and services at this point. never a problem.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Well, my broker is E.F. Hutton, and E.F. Hutton says…
... surprising little for the last 30 years or so.

But yeah, they had some good TV commercials.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

I use Schwab and Vanguard. Very happy with both!
Old 03-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I have small brokerage accounts at FIDO and TDAmeritrade. Also most of my IRA funds split between both companies. Before the TD/Schwab merger, I opened a brokerage account at Schwab to take advantage of a bonus. When TD is merged into Schwab, I won't have enough there apparently to have a named rep although I've had that at both TD and FIDO. I'm guessing at that point I'll do my final consolidation at one or the other.
The Schwab threshold is a change. As of about three years ago, $100K and $250K were the thresholds at Fido and Schwab but I don't remember which was which. You may well lose your named rep at Fido as these firms maneuver for profitability. If that happens then could you combine your Schwab and Fido assets to get back on the premium service tier?
Old 03-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

We use T Rowe Price for everything and finally they have free trades! Better late than never!
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity for IRA's.
Mass Mutual for 401k.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have E-Trade and I would not recommend them to anyone. Their fees are competitive but reports of consolidated 1099 Forms are horrible and they amend them usually for 2 - 3 times per Tax season.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Been with E*Trade for more than 20 years with no complaints. Like their web interface and how it can be customized. Free trades. Use their bank and their bill pay, both work great. No fees to transfer money back and forth with Ally when Ally pays higher rates. No fees to use ATM's when needed.

They even gave me a dedicated line to call and an inside contact if needed. He calls once a year or so to see if I have any questions or need help. Never tries to sell me on anything.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity has most of my 401k, IRA, and HSA. Vanguard fir Roth & Education IRA, TDA for rollover IRA and taxable investment account.

I’ve been thinking about consolidating, but they all have their pros/cons.
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
We have E-Trade and I would not recommend them to anyone. Their fees are competitive but reports of consolidated 1099 Forms are horrible and they amend them usually for 2 - 3 times per Tax season.
I believe amended 1099 Forms are caused by the individual companies which are reporting the information to the broker. That sometimes a company or fund takes a long time to finalize their financials and provide incomplete information the first time around (Feb 15th). For example I have seen that with companies that later shifted some of their qualified dividend payment into a Return-of-Capital category or vice-versa. I might imagine there is some knock-on-effect going on within a complex fund that is waiting for certain reporting information to be received by the end of January (or Feb 15?) and this causes them to issue updates weeks after that.

But it is very troublesome for individual tax filers who receive an updated 1099 the first week in April, or even worse a few weeks after that. I sold one fund in 2021 in large part because it caused an updated 1099 in late April, causing me to file an amended tax return. It was a small position and had caused similar problems in prior years, so no longer worth the hassle.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #55

TD Ameritrade/ Vanguard
Old 03-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

We use E-Trade for our "liquid" brokerage account, Fidelity for 401k accounts.
Darrenb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
amend them usually for 2 - 3 times per Tax season
That's bad I did not know that. Anybody else notice this?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
amend them usually for 2 - 3 times per Tax season
That's bad I did not know that. Anybody else notice this?
Just did a quick review and my E-Trade brokerage had one amended consolidated 1099 in the past 7 years. That was for the 2018 tax year.
Darrenb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:38 AM   #59

We have all tIRAs and RothIRAs as well as MM with Vanguard, stocks are with TD Ameritrade, and one stock with BB&T. I really don't like BB&T so I am having it moved into TD Ameritrade.

I have Admiral accounts with Vanguard but they keep changing my rep. as they move up the ladder but I really haven't used them much now that I don't buy or sell except for annual RMD.

My go to person at TD Ameritrade has been with me since the Scotrade days and I like the personal attention and personality. Unfortunately he is working at home since the pandemic and the convenient TD Ameritrade location has been closed. His future location at a Schwab office is located 20 miles away. If he eventually ceases to be my go to person with Schwab then I will seriously consider moving everything to Vanguard.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #60

We're probably around 70% FIDO(soon to be close to 80%) for IRA's and Roth's and the rest is at TD Ameritrade which I generally use for more active trading.
I have been with TD since way back when I opened an account when they were called DATEK back in 1990 or so.
Have 4 separate accounts with them (2 roths, 2 regular) and have been perfectly happy with them.
As others mentioned I really like the Thinkorswim platform and have been using it for years. I typically open it up at 7 am on weekdays and don't close it out till 6 or 7 pm. I have many watch lists in there that I like to keep track of and watch the ebbs and flows of the markets based on news items etc.

Have no complaints with FIDO either. Have also used them for over 30 years as they were the company choice at my long term employer and I saw no reason to switch.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote