New Schwab customer - website question

CincyDave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Was recently moved from TD Ameritrade to Schwab. Question on the Schwab summary page. The chart shows the last 3 days, but right beneath the total value amount it shows the 2 year return. The boxes for 1, 3, 6, month, YTD and 1 yr don't seem to do anything. Nothing changes when I click on them. Is this supposed to change when you select other time periods?

Just wondering how this works for other Schwab users. Maybe it has something to do with having just switched over. I did find a Schwab video on the functionality of the summary page, but it didn't address my question.

This is a non-retirement account and I tried in both Chrome and Opera

Thanks!!

They may only be showing data from the time the account moved to Schwab. That’s what happened when my USAA account moved over.

I switched to Schwab in January 2023, but not from TD Ameritrade. That chart at the top of the summary page is relatively useless/uninteresting until you accounts "age" some. It is based upon your start date with Schwab and for accounts with larger balances, the chart shows very little variation since it also includes the initial zero balance, which skews the chart. When my accounts hit the 3 months old age, the chart finally started to show something useful. The boxes for months out do nothing until your account has aged to that level. Oddly, the 2-year box shows the entire lifespan of my accounts (5 months now), but shows the 2-year return label as you see. Just tolerate it for a few months, it gets better over time.

Last edited:
Thanks Dash man and PaunchyPirate. So basically, other than showing the account balance, the summary page is useless for people who were switched to Schwab from somewhere else,

I did learn I needed to switch my cash from their default account they put you in to one of their money market funds to get a decent return. Went with SNVXX.

I did learn I needed to switch my cash from their default account they put you in to one of their money market funds to get a decent return. Went with SNVXX.
I have to open mine today to see how it went. Thanks for pointing this out.

Was recently moved from TD Ameritrade to Schwab. Question on the Schwab summary page. The chart shows the last 3 days, but right beneath the total value amount it shows the 2 year return. The boxes for 1, 3, 6, month, YTD and 1 yr don't seem to do anything. Nothing changes when I click on them. Is this supposed to change when you select other time periods? ...
Why not call your Schwab rep if you have one, otherwise the Schwab support line? From SGOTI the best you can get is anecdotes, the worst is bad information.

Thanks Dash man and PaunchyPirate. So basically, other than showing the account balance, the summary page is useless for people who were switched to Schwab from somewhere else,

I guess that's a matter of opinion. And I'm not comparable to you since I did not move from TDA.

However, I find the view useful. Yes, the chart only shows data from the time of the account opening. I'm assuming they didn't do anything special for TDA customers on this when they moved your accounts over. But I like the chart now after 3 months at Schwab. I will like it even more after 6, 12, 24, months. For sure. I like that it shows me how much money I gained/lost yesterday. I like that it tells me the change since 3 months ago (and will eventually show 6, 12, 24 months ago).

I find the account summary data below that very useful. I have multiple accounts at Schwab. I can see the aggregate of all those accounts on this view. It's my 360 degree view of my holdings at Schwab. Also, at a glance, I can see if any of the accounts have a Cash Balance that has happened due to dividends and bonds maturing, etc. If I see a Cash Balance, that clues me in to move that money to a Money Market Fund to get better return.

I can see how individual holdings across multiple accounts fared in the most recent trading. All without having to drill into each individual account.

I like the view. Maybe not everyone does.

Why not call your Schwab rep if you have one, otherwise the Schwab support line? From SGOTI the best you can get is anecdotes, the worst is bad information.

Figured I'd get quicker info here than waiting on hold for a rep.:D

I guess that's a matter of opinion. And I'm not comparable to you since I did not move from TDA.

However, I find the view useful. Yes, the chart only shows data from the time of the account opening. I'm assuming they didn't do anything special for TDA customers on this when they moved your accounts over. But I like the chart now after 3 months at Schwab. I will like it even more after 6, 12, 24, months. For sure. I like that it shows me how much money I gained/lost yesterday. I like that it tells me the change since 3 months ago (and will eventually show 6, 12, 24 months ago).

I find the account summary data below that very useful. I have multiple accounts at Schwab. I can see the aggregate of all those accounts on this view. It's my 360 degree view of my holdings at Schwab. Also, at a glance, I can see if any of the accounts have a Cash Balance that has happened due to dividends and bonds maturing, etc. If I see a Cash Balance, that clues me in to move that money to a Money Market Fund to get better return.

I can see how individual holdings across multiple accounts fared in the most recent trading. All without having to drill into each individual account.

I like the view. Maybe not everyone does.

This account was just for trading individual stocks. Most of my money ( IRAs, 401K, is in funds or ETFs and with Fidelity who my employer used to administer their plans.

Figured I'd get quicker info here than waiting on hold for a rep.:D
I don't see any wrong responses. Other TD'ers will benefit from your question.

I moved from USAA a few years back.

Can you get EOM reports from TD still? I was able to still login to USAA and get older reports.

Back
Top Bottom